“This is the Best”

The Lodge at Woodloch
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Hawley
Reviewed May 1, 2012

As a veteran spa-goer, when friends suggested we go here I was not anticipating much.
The Poconos and the name Woodloch (as in Woodloch Pines) does not conjure up luxury.
Boy, were we suprised.
This is physically the most beautiful Lodge and Spa I have been to.
The level of luxury and thoughtful design is incredible. In the women's locker rooms the numerous showers each has there own individual rooms. The pool and whirpool areas inside and out are simply rustic elegance to the max. Spa services were first class.
The food is gourmet (I never eat in a restaurant lower then a zagat food '20') and the entire staff is so accommodating and friendly. I think it may be all the negative ions given off by the ubiquitous salt lamps.
Our friends had a rock garden view which was just as nice as the lake view. In the Summer I think the lake may be obscured by the leaves.
Whoever designed this Lodge/spa really knew what they were doing and I don't know where they could have found such a nice staff

Room Tip: Both views (different sides of the building) are very nice. The second floor is on the same floor as...
1  Thank MBATech
There are newer reviews for The Lodge at Woodloch

Reviewed May 1, 2012

Spa is top of the line and facilities were impeccably clean. I tried not to compare it to miraval but since the rates were so steep, feel it is a justified comparison. As another reviewer stated, the staff simply isn't fully engaged. They try but it's apparent that this is just a job and since there aren't many businesses nearby, this is it. If they want to charge these rates, they really need to bring in professionals from other high end spas to help transfer the customer service skill. If you ask a staffer what they like on the menu, they tell you theyre not familiar with the food items and do not seem to know much about what the lodge sells. Sure, they are all nice, but they do not seem to genuinely care, like there's a morale issue. The quality of the food was great--until the chef cooked it.. It was actually a shame. Contrived spa food. It doesn't need to be tasteless to be good. It would also help if I hadn't seen a rat eating from the chef's garden out front one morning. My medium well filet mignon was charred black like leather with no pink -- they brought another one but it too was also like leather. I gave the front desk advance notice before writing this review that I was not pleased with the food but all she could do was smile and say that everyone has different tastes. Her response was disappointing, given the high rates and the fact that I tried to provide a discreet complaint about the food. If the food were better and the rates cheaper, I would go back. The massage was average but the natural lift facial wa pretty good. The lodge was a contradiction of sorts. Great place but definitely missing something.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank taylor2000
woodlochlodge, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2012

Dear taylor2000,

Thank you for your review. While I am glad that you enjoyed the facilities, especially the Spa, I am sorry to hear about your concerns regarding staff engagement and food quality. When you spoke to the front desk, someone should have immediately followed up by asking if you would like to share your concerns with our Food and Beverage Manager; I am sorry that this didn't happen. Our Chef has seen your review and will certainly take your concerns into consideration. If you would like to reach out to me, I would be glad to have you speak with him in person. Most importantly, it is discouraging to hear your comments on our staff not being engaged, and that it is apparent that this is just a job to them. As you will see, the majority of other reviewers rave about our staff and the attentiveness that they display on a daily basis. They are the cornerstone of our success. Having said that, if you feel so inclined, I would truly appreciate a chance to talk with you about where on property you found this to be the case. We take all feedback seriously, and I would like to address your concerns further. Thank you again for taking the time to write about your stay.

Reviewed May 1, 2012

My husband and I were at The Lodge at Woodloch from April 23 through April 27 2012 to celebrate our 21st wedding anniversary. Every staff member was beyond pleasant, from the young men who parked our car upon arrival and everyone else who crossed our paths. Our hiking guides Jessie, Dana and Josh were wonderful - well-versed in the local ecology without ever sounding snooty or as if they were trying to impress. Trinity at Reception was always friendly and helpful. The dining waitstaff [especially Courtney and Heather] were always nice and often inquired about what we had planned for the day or asked how our day's plans had gone thus far.

Housekeepers were kind enough to track down a couple of flat non-fluffy pillows for my husband's bad neck... the fluffy goose down pillows were divine for me or for Hubby to sit up in bed to watch TV, but not for sleeping. All the public spaces like the lounges with fireplaces were always clean and well-maintained. The spa facilities were immaculate, not a whiff of mold or unpleasant odor in the steam/sauna areas and the gym/fitness class areas were clean and brightly lit whether by overhead lights or an array of windows and there were always a ton of fresh towels, ice water and snacks.

The massage therapists and spa treatment providers we had were all great [Jude, Cathy, Tommy, Rachel]. The gym attendants and fitness instructors were all helpful [all the yoga instructors made a point of asking about the class's injuries and always offered modified poses for the injured and more advanced poses for the more experienced yogis in the class.

The Woodloch has lovely grounds you can walk around if you don't care to take any of the hiking programs [but you really should, the local forests/parks are wonderful!] as well as outdoor locations to sit, either on the dock of their lake or by their outdoor firepit. We thoroughly enjoyed the outdoor hot tub on a very cold cloudy overcast day with light rain, but we didn't notice the less than perfect weather!

My only 2 complaints would be about 1 - some of the soups, I found a couple of them [potatoe leek and cream of mushroom] were incredibly salty, but all the other food options at breakfast, lunch and dinner were always tasty and fresh. And 2 - the alcohol pricing, especially some of the wines, were rather steep - we live in the Bronx and both work in Manhattan and experienced more than a bit of "sticker shock" to see our current favorite blend, Apothic, was over $40 a bottle [upwards of 5 times the price we purchase it at in local liquor stores]. All in all, we had a wonderful time, we plan to return and we've already recommended The Lodge to family and friends.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 308 and had a lovely view of the Lodge's landscaping and we got plenty of sun...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank VikLevitsky
Reviewed May 1, 2012

My girlfriend and I recently stayed at the Lodge at Woodloch for two nights and we were both extremely pleased. The staff were very friendly and accomodating and the facility is beautiful and incredibly relaxing. We both loved the "massage waterfalls" in the pool area. The food was very good but the only problem was that my friend cannot eat sugar so she was never able to enjoy any of the desserts that the Lodge prepared. The fitness classes were awesome and the instructors were all full of energy and encouraging. I will definitely return and have been recommending this place to everyone that I can think of and hope that other people will be able to enjoy this experience as much as I did.

1  Thank Kara S
Reviewed April 30, 2012

This was our second visit to the Lodge and I am sure there will be more! Once again we stayed three nights which I think is needed to get two full days in and really relax. When we came last year I had many good things to say (all of which are still true) and the only really bad thing was those silly hair dryers they had that looked like they came from a dollar store. First of all, if that is the worst thing you can come up with to complain about, you had a phenomenal stay! Second I would like to report that The Lodge listened and replaced the silly hair dryers with real ones! (although they aren't gone, they have been transferred to the spa bathrooms!)

This visit was very different from the last in that it was very social, much more so than Aaron or I were expecting or even initially wanting it to be. We met couples from all over the country, some friends that lived close by and even a large group of RNs treating themselves to the spa for the day. we were literally rotating from one group of people to the next, sharing drinks, stories and laughs throughout the weekend. It made our anniversary weekend incredibly entertaining!

OK so the specifics:

The Food: In a word, Amazing ! I said last year that I really appreciated the healthy and very tasty way they prepare everything, and luckily nothing has changed. The food is simple, plentiful and very thoughtful. One suggestion, get the Bo Saam for lunch. I had it for all three lunches and would have had it for dinner too if they offered! Only one low point, the fielt mignon was very dry, but it's a small complaint against an otherwise stellar record.

The Staff: So I mentioned Debby last year and I will say it again, she was my favorite! She is so accommodating, friendly and sweet, we were immediately smiling the second we saw her. She made our stay special last year and did again this year. Thank you Debby! Lodge, you need to recognize her STAT! We had two servers multiple times, John and Steve, who were great! Not too aggressive yet took care of all your needs, and we were never looking for them. Having been a waiter myself for years, I think the biggest compliment you can pay a server is if you never have to look for them! The rest of the staff was great as well, everyone really goes out of their way to make you feel taken care of from every angle. Although for what you are paying, they should!

The Spa: Where we spent most of our time. Last year we were pretty aggressive with the classes. This year we were aggressive with sitting in all the hot tubs and pools and doing absolutely nothing, and it was exactly what we needed. For facials you MUST ask for Elaine. I've never had a facial like this before, it was more a face massage than anything else. I wasn't even aware of the different stages taking place because it just all seemed to blend. Awesome! For a massage this is the second time I've had Tommy (by request) and I'm happy I did. He immediately knows what to do and where, and is easily one of the best massages I've had!

Accommodations: Nothing new to add! I still don't like the bed, but that's always going to be a personal preference thing. Our view of the lake was awesome. ALWAYS request a lake view!

So once again I will highly reccommend this place to anyone looking to treat themselves to a super uxurious weeked! I've told many friends about it and have sent my mother, step mother and sister there for day passes and spa services, and they all love it too!

Here is my only (new) gripe with the place, no loyalty/retention program! I would rather not add up how much money I've spent at this place over the past year between our visits and the family visits I paid for. However, nothing special is done for return guests. We received a very nice personalized card in our room upon check in (which I actually saved) but that was it. I am not looking for 10% off future visits or any discount like that. But it would have been a nice gesture for The Lodge to have covered our drinks for our first dinner there, or even have a bottle of wine in the room when we checked in, something small but thoughtful. I think this is something they need to revisit. Granted, people who love this place are going to come back no matter what, and I am sure I will be one of them. But not doing something special for returning guests just left a bad taste in my mouth. And when your experience here is so top-notch and wonderful, as was ours, that is the last thing you want to be feeling.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RobandAaron
Reviewed April 30, 2012

This was my first time at a destination spa resort.It was worth every penny. The moment you enter the lodge you are taken care of. The staff is very friendly,warm and gracious. The whole experience from spa services,spa facility,food,drinks and activities is very relaxing.I will definitely go there as often as I can.

Reviewed April 30, 2012

My good friend and I made a decision to take a wellness getaway. We picked a midweek trip to get a better price. From the moment we got there we were shocked at how well we were treated. To be fair she and I have never been to a destination spa before so I cannot compare it to other places. But our experience was lovely. The food was great. The amenities were wonderful. We both made good use of the classes and loved them. We had two spa treatments and they were so nice. If I went again I would save my money on the spa treatments because I do not feel I needed them with all the place had to offer. I can get a massage at home. I would have saved my $ and spent an additional night. Also at night mid week it is pretty quiet and we craved some community and activity but other than that it was one of the best trips I have ever taken.

1  Thank Nicole L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawley
Hampton Inn Matamoras
Cove Haven Resort
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville
Woodloch Pines Resort

Been to The Lodge at Woodloch? Share your experiences!