“The Spa is wonderful”

The Lodge at Woodloch
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Hawley
Reviewed August 14, 2011

My husband and I spent a day at the Spa and restaurant for our anniversary. Since we have a weekend house nearby we didn't stay overnight. We truly enjoyed the spa experience in the couples suite. You receive side by side massages and herbal baths which is fun. You are invited to come enjoy the other facilities (pools, hot tubs, steam room and sauna) one hour before and after, which felt a little stingy for such an expensive place.... watching the clock is not relaxing....

The restaurant, Tree, was just OK for lunch. The service was good but the food was so-so, though it was obviously trying really hard to be fancy. The one weird thing about the restaurant is that there are people eating in the nice dining room dressed fully in bathrobes and slippers, which seemed oddly inappropriate for a place trying to be upscale.

3  Thank TravelswithkidsNY
woodlochlodge, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2011

Dear TravelswithkidsNY,

Thank you for your recent feedback. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your time at the spa, and especially the couples suite. Since you have a home in the area, we hope to see you on several return visits! Since food quality is very important to us, if you are able to share any additional comments about your dining experience, I encourage you to reach out to us. I do feel it is important to note that while we offer a luxurious experience, as a destination spa, we also want to provide a setting for guests to enjoy fine food even in the comfort of their bathrobes. Thank you again, and we always welcome feedback that will help us to continually enhance the guest experience.

There are newer reviews for The Lodge at Woodloch

Reviewed August 14, 2011

My daughter and I just returned from four days at the Lodge and both had a wonderful experience. The massages were fantastic and varied, the food was excellent with many choices, and the facility was beautiful. The spa area was kept exceptionally clean and the private dressing/shower areas were always ready with new towels. There were many types of activities to choose from, and the instructors were excellent and fun. The water aerobics, led by Maryann, were a great workout and different each day.

I've been to many destination spas and will definitely return to this one. I found it to be the best value I've gotten in this type of spa resort. I'm anxious to bring my husband who, I'm sure, will take advantage of the outdoor activities that are offered.

Room Tip: Room 224 looks out at a garden area with a waterfall...very pretty view.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank drz15
Reviewed August 11, 2011

What a surprise just a few hours from New York /New Jersey area. Easy to get to.
Great golf and a wonderful Spa. Two days was not enough time to enjoy everything.
I'll definitely be back with "the girls" to enjoy more of the fabulous spa and all of the amenities

1  Thank IrishPrincess23
Reviewed August 8, 2011

My husband and I recently celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary by taking a 3 night trip to The Lodge at Woodloch. I was so excited that my husband was willing to go to a spa even though the spas I have been to before have been full of mostly women-only groups. I was so pleased to see that although there certainly were many women-only groups visiting, there were so many men at Woodloch that my husband felt completely at home.
The spa's design and decor are beautiful...very "lodge-like"; fancy without being feminine. The meals are served in a beatiful restaraunt called "Tree" which basically has floor to ceiling windows and looks into, well, trees. For the three days we were there, the menus were the same at each breakfast and lunch, but at dinner the menu differed each night. I would suggest offerring different menus for the different meals if possible.
Service was excellent; the hostess at the restaraunt knew our name the first night and always greeted us by name. There is live music every night and we heard some excellend acoustic guitarists/ vocalists.
Accomodations are very nice - everything you would expect at a spa in this price range.
Other things I liked: Lots of outdoor activities (included in spa price; very few things had a surcharge), nice gym, great size of resort (50 or so rooms, so fairly intimate), very friendly staff, good food, full bar available and large wine list, fire pit outside lit every night, live music, BEAUTIFUL indoor waterfall hottubs (you have to look at pictures on the website to understand this) and outdoor infinity hottub, co-ed "whisper lounge" where you can wait with your mate for treatments (in addition to single-sex waiting areas in locker room areas), and I could go on and on.
Things that could be improved: When going on outdoor activities, staff should bring water in a cooler so it is cold; we were given cold-ish bottles out of a bag which certainly was better than nothing, but it's really not too much to just bring it in a cooler. Also, when going on a hike, I recommend that the outdoor staff bring a snack with them to give to guests at the summit. Example: my husband and I did the Cliff Park Hike with five other guests. It is about a six mile hike, and although we were fine, two of the men on our hike who looked in okay shape were sweating profusely and clearly getting weary. Having a boost of sugar or carbs at the summit would have perked us all up. Perhaps in addition to bags of trail mix, the staff could bring some bananas or the small cookies that the chef makes for dessert at lunch in individual bags. This would have made our hike more enjoyable.
Our massages were awesome, and we loved our trip. The couple of suggestions that I've made are small, but I hope they help as The Lodge continues to greet guests in the future. I would absolutely recommend The Lodge at Woodloch to anyone!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Amysg1
Reviewed August 7, 2011

This destination spa resort provides the ultimate in relaxation!
We loved the spa treatments and the superb spa cuisine! We loved the smaller portions and the high quality ingredients.
The vibe throughout is relaxed and casual.
Just a few suggestions for the management...please upgrade the room hairdryers and makeup mirrors. The hairdryers lack power and heat and the mirrors should be lighted and much larger. The rooms could use some redecorating but are comfortable even though they are on the small size at just 400sq. ft.
When we checked out the front desk personnel never asked if we enjoyed our stay or said thank you. We found that odd considering the amount of our bill and how friendly the rest of the employees were.The only comment they made was to ask if we had questions about the bill and to mention that we would receive a $100 off coupon to use within the next 6 months.

Room Tip: we loved the view of the rock waterfall directly outside of our room. Ask for the center of the 3rd...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank l0ves2trvl
woodlochlodge, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2011

Dear lOves2trvl,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay. I am glad that you found The Lodge at Woodloch to be relaxed and casual - our goal is that you leave here feeling like a new person! You should have been asked about your stay at check out; I apologize that this did not happen, and we have reviewed this procedure with all staff members since then. In addition, upgrades to the hair dryers and vanity mirrors are on our list, and we will be working on making a change in the coming months. Your feedback is incredibly important, so thank you again...and we hope that you do come back within 6 months to take advantage of that credit. It would be a pleasure to welcome you again.

Reviewed July 28, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Woodlock on July 22-24 celebrating our wedding anniversary. We were happy with the hotel, accomodations, and food- which was geared toward healthier eating (a plus) and gourmet. We were the most relaxed we've ever been and had a lovely time. However, when you look at the cost of the weekend, we could have easily gone to the Caribbean in high season! Aside, the resort itself does not warrent the cost paid. Although the lodge is nice, for the price paid, I expect exceptional service (valet guys and servers were excellent, everyone else was standard), above cleanliness (the toilet paper holders in common areas had dust building around them), etc. I also think this place is better suited for fall/winter as there is no pool or place to cool off (the lake is non-swimable and you need to go to either the kid resort or the golf resort to use a pool, the golf resort pool reminded us of a YMCA, which BTW also allows children).

Best parts were food and spa treatments. I had the same one done 2 days in a row and loved it. I get treatments from all of the country and Rachel was the best therapist I've ever had. So worth the $130 for the service. It's a nice getaway just somewhat overpriced.

2  Thank RelaxationNj
woodlochlodge, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2011

Dear RelaxationNj,

Thank you for your recent review of our property. I am thrilled to hear that you left The Lodge feeling the most relaxed you have ever been..that is certainly our goal! It sounds like your massage with Rachel was extraordinary - we will certainly make sure that she is recognized. Regarding your comments on cleanliness, those trouble spots have been immediately addressed. Thank you for bringing the issue to our attention. It is important to note, as you did, that we do not have an outdoor pool, but it is in the long term plan, and meanwhile guests can access the outdoor pool and lake at our sister property, Woodloch Pines. Our outdoor infinity edge whirlpool is great on those cool nights, though! We did recently expand our outdoor patio deck to allow for more seating on nice days - and we are providing beverage service as well! We are glad you enjoyed the food, the relaxing atmosphere, and your overall experience. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back in the future. Please do keep in mind that if you sign up on our website for last minute specials, you will receive email alerts whenever we are able to offer discounted rates. Thanks again for your feedback.

Reviewed July 12, 2011

My husband & I visted for the first time. We choose this destination spa due to the great reviews & proximity to our home. Who knew that paradise was only a 3 hour drive away?
The food, spa, fitness classes & activities were terrific. The property is in great shape, as it is 5 years young. The staff was very courteous.
The only improvements we'd like to see is new tvs (too small & not high def) and more fresh fruit at every meal. Lastly, while it is a spa cuisine menu, they could probably offer a few more indulgent treats/desserts.
We are definately coming back!!

4  Thank debbie828
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawley
Hampton Inn Matamoras
Cove Haven Resort
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville
Woodloch Pines Resort

Been to The Lodge at Woodloch? Share your experiences!