“Great family fun, excellent service.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Woodloch Pines Resort
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Hawley
GreenLeadersGold level
Dix Hills, New York
“Great family fun, excellent service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014

Just came back from my 4th visit to Woodloch during winter...As always, wonderful. We had to extend our stay due to weather conditions and we're glad we did. The place is always consistent, clean, super friendly, plenty to do, decent food and plenty of it. The true standout is the service. Dining staff very accommodating for my son's food allergy, front desk for helping to extend (unexpectedly) my stay at a fair price, maintenance staff help digging my car from the snow when I had to leave and the staff running the activities were cheerful.

My children are 17, 11 and 9. Each had a great time. My one suggestion would be to have a few teen focused events.

Looking forward to my visit next year.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank nomoso
Woodloch, Owner at Woodloch Pines Resort, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear Nomoso,

Thank you for once again allowing us to help you create vacation memories.
We pride ourselves on our service. No matter what, we try to make each and every guest that walks through our doors feel as if they are company in our own home. We take food allergies and dietary issues very seriously. We’re glad that you enjoyed your extra unexpected night!
We continually strive to keep children, teens, and adults content with activities. Events like our Winter Olympics, Movie Game, Name That Tune, Trapshoot, Paintballing, and Wallyball are offered for teens and adults, but we are constantly working to develop new and intriguing programs. If you have any specific suggestions, feel free to forward them to us at Woodmark <At> Woodloch <Dot> Com. We always want to know what kinds of activities may appeal to our guests, including the teens.

We look forward to your return!

& The Entire Woodloch Family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
east williston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

I have been visiting Woodloch Pines since 1991. It initially started as a place my family would visit to celebrate New Years Eve. At the time, I had a very young family and I didn't feel comfortable going out on New Years Eve and leaving the boys home with a sitter. My philosophy is, if I am going to have fun, so should my children:) And fun we had!!! Through the years Woodloch has grown to be more than just a destination, but it has become a feel good place for my family. We have celebrated various milestones thoughout the years at Woodloch. We have come to know some very wonderful people ie. Chris Bower and Sue from Reservations. As well as John and Steve Kiesendahl the second generation of this family owned resort.
I can't begin to say enough about what a wonderful place this is. I think my very first experience with Woodloch cemented my "forever" feelings. It was New Years weekend and on the second night there our son, Greg was 3 years old (he's 26 now). He had a terrible ear ache and cried most of the night. I contacted the front desk early in the morning, maybe 5AM asking for a referral to the closest doctor or facility. Within minutes I was instructed to come by the front desk and pick up directions. They had already contacted the Doctor and he was going to meet us at the local Hospital in Honesdale. Upon reaching the front desk, John Kiesendalh met us with coffees to go and various muffins for our drive to the hospital. I have not experienced that level of personal customer service anywhere else. John treated my family, people he didn't even know, as family. Last weekend my husband and I returned to Woodloch Pines, the first time without any children in tow. I wasn't sure how that would be. However, as we approached the resort all those fond feel good memories came rushing back. I felt like I was coming home and the best part was reconnecting with the people like Chris, Sue, Joey and so many others who we have come to know over the past 20 years! Woodloch is all about family and they have become part of my family! I hope they never change the values that have made them the wonderful place they are!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Anna o,

Thank you for continually choosing Woodloch and allowing us to extend our hospitality to you.

It gives us great pleasure to hear so many stories of how our resort personally touches the lives of our guests. We’re always glad to hear that our staff has gone above and beyond the call of duty to make you feel at home. It was a pleasure watching your family grow along with ours over the past 23 years, and I'm truly glad my brother was able to make such a good impression on you so long ago. We’re glad to see that even though your kids have grown up, you’re still able to get away for good times with family and friends!

It’s been a pleasure growing along with your family, and I and the rest of the Woodloch family cannot wait to see you once again.

NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

We made our reservations for a family vacation at the Pines at least a month ago. When I called back a few days later to make spa appointments for my husband and I, I was told we couldn't do that until 2 weeks BEFORE our stay--so that people staying at the Lodge could have priority. I was okay with that, and just called to book some massages for my husband and I--and was told there was a waiting list for the things we wanted to do. When I asked why we couldn't have booked spa appointments when we made our initial reservation, I was told that the Lodge guests are "paying $1000 per night to stay here." I pointed out that my family would be spending much more than that, and the response was, "Oh, you're right." I spoke to a manager who explained the properties are owned by 2 different entities. The explanation for the spa "policy" was really weak--even more importantly, it is NOT explained to you up front when you book at the Pines. Not only that, but I wasn't offered some sort of consolation prize for the miscommunication. Nothing! (Later, after I pointed this out, we were offered free drinks.) We are still going on our vacation (too late to cancel and rebook somewhere else), but I am really annoyed by this situation and hoping it isn't a foreshadowing of things to come! (I'll let you know either way, and hope to change my rating accordingly...)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ASM1962
Woodloch, Owner at Woodloch Pines Resort, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear ASM1962,

We are terrible sorry that you experienced difficulty when trying to book spa treatments at our sister property, The Lodge at Woodloch. We always try our best to accommodate all guests from Woodloch Pines and The Lodge at Woodloch, but sometimes our availability becomes very limited due to high demand. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused. We hope that the rest of your stay with your family met or exceeded your expectations and that you had an enjoyable time. Thank you for your review and we hope that you will be able to enjoy everything Woodloch has to offer in a future stay.

Holtsville, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

We just came back from 2 nights/3 days stay at the Woodloch. I must say I didn't want to leave. Every one at the resort was supper nice. My 9 month old had awesome time. The place has great service, great food and its very, very clean! There is so much to do! We will def. will be back! Thank you Woodloch for a great mini vacation :)

Room Tip: If you have kids ask for a room where the pool is located it will make easier for you :)
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Kailani2,

Thank you for your recent stay and kind words.

We’re very glad to see you had such a nice “mini-vacation!” Sometimes, a few days away with those you love are just what the doctor ordered. It’s great to hear that your baby had a great time as well - as they grow, we believe you will find even more games and activities to enjoy together!
We look forward to your earliest return!

New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

This is our second trip to Woodloch with our family of 7. We stayed in the Springs, house #520. At first we were booked for a Cedar. After finding out that there were 2 twin beds in one of the bedrooms we requested an upgrade. The front desk staff really worked hard to accommodate us, especially Amy. We were upgraded to a Hemlock for an add'l $80. Not bad. The Hemlock we stayed in was a bit dated but pristine. We did manage to get locked out of the house due to the new key system they implemented and the front desk forgot to mention that we should not deadbolt the front door. The Woodloch staff made up for our inconvenience with a round of drinks from the bar, Nice!

The pool at the Springs was great - the lighting and the wall to wall windows made the area so relaxing. The kids thoroughly enjoyed the pool at the main lodge. So much to do...

Food: Having a lot of food intolerances and sensitivities, I communicated with Jamie via email before our arrival. She is SO wonderful and accommodating. I was so happy to hear she was still there and that she was able to help us out. I knew we would have nothing to worry about! We ate at the Main Dining Room for dinner one night and the Grille Room on another. Both were great. Service was a bit slow at both but the staff was so helpful, cheery and friendly.

Activities: A ton of stuff to do. Kids were never bored...swimming, ice skating, snow tubing, arts and crafts room, bumper cars, indoor playground, petting zoo and pony rides. And the magic show was fantastic!

The only 2 criticisms I have are 1) the water pressure in the showers was very weak and 2) the day's itinerary should be available the night before.

We are already planning out next trip to Woodloch!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Tosca3,

Thank you for your family’s recent visit and taking the time to review our property.

We’re glad to hear that it was an overall positive stay for your family! We always love hearing great things about our staff. I’m sure that Amy and Jamie will both enjoy hearing that they were able to enhance your stay with proper customer service.

We’re glad to hear that the Hemlock house was to your liking - your water pressure concerns were forwarded to our maintenance team and have since been adjusted. While we are not able to provide an exact itinerary the day beforehand, we do send an “Upcoming Stay” email to our guests highlighting tentative schedules of our more “marquee” events. With so many tentative activities on tap and Mother Nature doing as she pleases, it’s often difficult to have an exact schedule laid out that provides the best possible guest experience.
Plan away on your next trip- we can’t wait to greet you once again at our doors!

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

I cannot say enough!! This place was PERFECT! We are from South Florida and our children had never seen snow. After lots of research, we chose to bring our family to Woodloch Pines Resort. From the moment we arrived, we were treated like family!
The resort property, covered in snow, was even more beautiful than we had expected. The staff, from dining room to housekeeping to front desk to activity staff are friendly, welcoming, helpful and HAPPY! They even announced my 5 yr old daughter's first lost tooth at dinner announcements!!!!
Entertainment was fun, activities non-stop, for all ages!...my bitty SoFla kids were tubing monsters, by the time we left. And have not stopped talking about Gingerbread Wars, and the breads at dinner :)

The fact that this family and their entire staff takes such joy in bringing joy to their guests is what makes this place so perfect!

Must mention, specifically, Dawn, Kiley and Jesse for their enthusiasm and contagious smiles!(which all staff shared, those 3 were just super special to my kids) thank you, Woodloch....we WILL be back!!

• Stayed February 2014
Dear LissaGC,

Thank you for your recent stay!

We’re glad you chose our resort, and I certainly hope you enjoyed your first experience with snow (we’ve had quite a bit this season)! We feel that there is a special unprecedented bond here between staff and guests - we feel like part of your family. So when a family member celebrates a milestone even like losing a first tooth… why not share it with other family and friends?

We’re constantly reminded of how special our staff is and appreciate your kind comments. Dawn, Kiley, and Jesse will surely be pleased to know that they were able to impact your stay in such a positive manner.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to showcase our hospitality, and we look forward to seeing you again!

Wurtsboro, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

This was our fourth year at Woodloch...We used to come here in the 70's and 80's and had a great time then. We have already booked our room for next year. As usual, we had a wonderful time even though the outside temperature didn't get out of single digits. There is always something to do whether inside or out. The theme "Back to the 80's" was terrific. The singing and dance routines were very enjoyable. I cannot say enough good things about the entire staff. They are always courteous and helpful. They keep you going with all the activities. Let us not forget the food and wait staff (great). The housekeeping staff makes sure your room is comfortable and you have everything you need.
See you next year.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Scaramouche47,

Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review our property.

We’re glad that you decided to revisit us; a good deal has changed since the 70’s and 80’s, all for the better we hope! No matter what the weather or season, we always find ways to celebrate life’s good times with family and friends.

Once again, our staff continually finds ways to smile and provide exceptional customer service. We’re fortunate to be in company of such fine individuals. We’re glad that the food, accommodations, and entertainment were to your liking.

We look forward to welcoming you back next year!

& The Entire Woodloch Family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawley
Greshams Lake View Motel
Ledges Hotel
Ledges Hotel
#3 of 7 in Hawley
Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center

Been to Woodloch Pines Resort? Share your experiences!