“I loved it”

GreenLeadersGold level
philadelphia
“I loved it”
Reviewed August 1, 2008

MY Sister and i was looking to get away, do something different. when we got there it was activities already in place,so we jumped in. we did everything that we wanted to do. the employees were great. They had an icon show that i loved. the comedian was great. I TRUELY TRUELY TRUELY HAD A GREAT TIME. THE MOMENT I GOT BACK HOME I STARTED PLANNING FOR MY FAMILY TO GO. I CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK THERE.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — not enough food served
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
Central PA
Reviewed July 30, 2008

our first time was great, our second time even better. why it took us six years to get back i'm still trying to figure out. we're already looking at reservations for next year. every great thing everyone has said about this place is true. it sounds such a terrible cliche that the oweners attribute the resort's success to the "wonderfully dedicated staff." doesn't every resort or cruise ship say the same thing. but in this case it is true. the staff is truly amazing; dedicated, friendly, courteous. one thing people have left out in other reviews that i think contributes to woodloch being so special is the guests themselves. its a give and take. the staff is great, and the guests are great in return. even our first tiem there, the people we met (many of whom are multi-year returning families) made us feel as at home as the staff. this time was even better, and we even made two more kids in tow, or maybe because of it. who knows? bottom line is this; there is always plenty to do, and many choices for any given hour of the day or night, the activities are fun and original, the food is excellent, especially considering how many people they feed every day. and all things considered, the rates are a steal. my only caveat is that some of the resort's future plans involve replacing some of the older, more affordable lodgings with more hotel/condo type units. the core of woodloch's clientele has alwas been working class/middle class people, and it is a shame that they might be getting shut out. i know this is not the intent, but it may be the result. its a really special place...give it a shot, you will not be dissapointed, unless you are completely weird.

• Liked — inclusiveness, friendliness, variety of activities, courteous staff, scenery, price, food, relaxed atmosphere
  • Disliked — having to leave, some of the dinig staff was a little undertrained, thats about it
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
New York
Reviewed July 27, 2008

My family goes to Woodloch every year. I have been going my whole life as well (litterally, I was 0 when I went my first time.) Although Woodloch is in the Poconos Mountains and is a fairly long drive, it is deffiantely worth it and I can prove this, too. We have been going as a tradition with our cousins who live in Charlotte, North Carolina! They drive (thats a 11 1/2 hour drive for them.) I would go to Woodloch just for the food but there is so much more to do, it would not be worth it. The game are almost all family oriented. If you go on Woodloch's website, click on the tab that reads The Edge. From here, you can figure out game cheats that make the scavanger hunt that much better when you win the gold metal. Because we have been going the Same week of the same months, we have met many friends, some live only 20 minutes away from us, others 20 states. One family we met came all the way from Arizona but still made the commute. If all this isn't proof, I got more. The games are excellently thought of and oh so creative. The memories made are something I can promise you will not forget. The shows are extremely funny, especially the staff show. Although it is located sort of in the woods, you do get that feeling but it is certainly not the point. You still get electricity, running water and quickly take the buses that run around the campus to the North Lodge to catch the beginning of the Yankees gave on extremely nice TVs. All in all, Ihope this helped you. Somw people go to Woodloch Pines not knowing what to do or what to order. This is certainly not getting the whole woodloch experience. My grandparents, parents and aunt and uncle all love this place. It is deffiantely a place for all ages. The price IS fairly high, I have to admit but just please trust me, it is worth every cent you pay. If all of this wasn't true, then why would Woodloch be having it's 50 YEAR ANIVERSARY this year?

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Floral Park
Reviewed July 15, 2008

Just got back from Woodloch Pines and I am not sure what everyone is talking about. The food was very average, the whole place needs major updating and to me the prices are outrageous! I kept having to tell myself I can't believe I paid these prices for the Poconos. I understand they have loyal customers, but I think a few of them should try an all inclusive cruise to Bermuda or the Bahamas for the same price. I won't be back...Just my opinion~There are so much nicer places to stay.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank Kathy04FloralPark
Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed July 7, 2008

Woodloch is our home away from home. This was our 3rd year at Woodloch and each year gets better than the last. This year as well as our 1st year at Woodloch our family of 2 boys, 8 and 10, went as part of a family reunion with 18 people ranging from 5 to 82 years old. Everyone has such fond memories that we all hope to come back year after year as many do, some as children and now with their own children. This family run resort makes everyone feel as if they are a part of their large family. Their hospitality and kindness is extraordinary which differentiates them from every other place that I have been to. This year as in past years, they did everything in their power to make sure everyone had a wonderful time. For instance, my father, who is 82 yrs. old, has been playing soccer for over 60 years and asked a manager if he knew if some of their staff played soccer during the week that he could join. They actually arranged a game with members of their staff, several of which were fabulous players, for my father. He will always treasure this moment. On another note, many of the rooms have been redone beatifully and there is something for everyone. Food was also wonderful with accomodations made for every diet. All in all, Woodloch is a gem that our family and the members of our extended family can't wait to visit again next year and I hope for many years to come.

• Liked — Hospitality
  • Disliked — Would have liked to have come later in the summer but the costs were too high for our family.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
NNJ
Reviewed July 1, 2008

My brother had been taking his family to Woodloch for several years. He raved about it. "Yeah it's pricey, but you'll have a great time". I have traveled a lot. I've stayed at some very exclusive hotels and resorts. I thought "It's the Poconos, how good could it be?" We gave it a try for a Tuesday to Saturday stay in July. That was 6 years ago. To say we had a great time is an understatement. Yes, the food is heavy. No, the decor will never be confused with the Belagio. And some of the entertainment does have the Dirty Dancing feel to it. That said, the staff is incredible. They make you feel comfortable. We enjoy the activities and family games and look forward to seeing people that we can really only see at Woodloch during our week in July. Each year our kids are older, but more in love with Woodloch. Our son is 18. I was once concerned that by this age he would find the resort trite. Not at all the case. We have been spending a full week at the resort for the last few years. For me, its like a three week stay - the euphoria of returning to Woodloch the week before we go, the week of the stay, and then the week after the trip, where we are reminded our our unusually high caloric intake (post-Woodloch dieting optional, but recommended).
I hope that I never become so jaded as to dismiss the genuine character of Woodloch. It exists for families to come together. It does so in a manner that I have not found elsewhere. I believe that is it's greatest value. I cherish each year that we have spent at Woodloch.

• Liked — Activities
  • Disliked — Soft mattress
  • Stayed July 2007
1 Thank NorthNJTraveler
Long Island City, New York
Reviewed June 13, 2008

What a trip! These people are nuts, and I love it. My husband and I thought at first there could be no way that everyone could be so happy and friendly all the time. But after a long weekend full (we extended our trip a night) we discovered that it’s genuine. They really are friendly and happy to be at work. A far cry from the rush hour New York subway drudgery we’re used to. And they open doors, everyone, even the guests picked up on it! There must be something in the water there in Hawley. Our kids, Anna (3 1/2yrs) and Toby (5yrs) we’re in heaven. We tried a crack at Disney last year and discovered that it was overbearing for the kids. Woodloch had the charm and the activities, but was much more manageable. We even tried our luck hiring a babysitter one of our evening, to get a little adult time (they have a great theme show and comedian, very cruise ship). The babysitters are employed through Woodloch, we booked at the front desk, and felt completely safe (after a few typical parent-anxiety phone calls to the room during dinner). In short, we had a wonderful experience and are so happy to have this getaway so close to home. The kids can’t stop talking about it. I’m sure we’ll be back soon.

• Liked — Cleanliness and comfort
  • Disliked — A lot of walking
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawley
Greshams Lake View Motel
Cove Haven Resort
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville
Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center

Been to Woodloch Pines Resort? Share your experiences!