“Gracious, courteous, friendly, acommodating and great food.”

Woodloch Pines Resort
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Hawley
GreenLeadersGold level
“Gracious, courteous, friendly, acommodating and great food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

We have been going to Woodloch Pines as a family since my daughter's wedding at the Inn there in June 2010. We have been back twice each year since. Absolutely great fun for kids and us wanna be kids.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank TweetyTweet1
Woodloch, Owner at Woodloch Pines Resort, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear TweetyTweet1,

Thank you so much for visiting us these past years! It's always amazing to see families return year after year after taking that first Woodloch plunge. We strive to provide something for everyone here, no matter what the age, and we are glad that you enjoy what we have to offer. We cannot wait for your next visit!

& The Entire Woodloch Family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
Washington DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

Woodloch Pines is an excellent version of what it is; the reason I didn't give it 5 stars is that what it is isn't really my thing. So what is it? It's a very families-with-young-children-lots-of-big-group-games kind of place. Lots of Family Double Dare and Name that Tune and Cupcake Wars games designed for big groups (no 3-person groups allowed). Evening entertainment is generally kid-oriented (cheesetastic). Ever seen Dirty Dancing? It's like that, without Patrick Swayze.

Pros:
The food is generally fine (fresher/better than a cruise ship, not as good as what I cook at home).
The rooms are huge (we stayed in the main lodge) & have minifridges (handy), the balconies on the rooms are nice.
The water slide and boats and lake swimming are great fun, especially on a hot day.
I took a really fun Bollywood Dance class one morning - teacher did a great job teaching non-dancers.
The gym was generally empty in the morning, and they had water on hand.
Most of the staff was very nice. They guy who gave us a tour around the lake made a rather uninteresting area pretty darn entertaining.
Rock wall! and other amusements - shuffleboard, archery
attractive grounds with places to sit and read a book
there's a national park nearby(ish) if you want to venture away from the property, and they'll even pack you a box lunch

Cons:
Mealtime: There was a whole lot of frying going on. It was hard to get just some raw veggies - other than carrots, cucumbers and cherry tomatoes. Lots of sauces, lots of ingredients in the food that weren't mentioned in the menu and they can't customize because its all mass-produced. The small windows for meals was also a bit of a hassle (1 hour for breakfast, half an hour for lunch and 1 1/12 hrs for dinner). This was a trip with my extended family (18 people) and while we arrived at lunch at different times, they'd wait until everyone was there to serve us, which was a hassle for those who wanted to get in and out quickly. Also, the part of the dining hall near the kitchen smelled like my college cafeteria.
Activities: mostly aimed at medium and small kids (we had one of those in our party and he loved it, I on the other hand, got weird looks from the other adults when I wanted to slide down the giant inflatable slide - what? it's fun). Also aimed at people who are into competition (you want to craft or learn something? Too bad, come do something competitive with frosting).
There's no place to sit in the evening in the main lodge if you want to gather as a family, but not participate in one of the existing games. We wanted to play Taboo one night and ended up sitting in the bar.
The A/C is on waaaaay too high. Ladies: bring a sweater. Or a coat.
The grounds are pretty, but the walking trail loop is super short (not good for anyone who wants to bike or go for a run of any length).

Having said all that, my family (with a toddler, two 15=year olds, six 30somethings, eight 60-70 year olds and a 95 year old) all had a nice time. If you want all-inclusive with outdoor activities this is the (only) place to go. I'm pretty sure we'll be back.

Room Tip: The number of rooms with walk-in showers is limited - be sure to request when booking.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 0ut-0f-0ffice
Dear 0ut-0f-0ffice,

We thank you for taking the time to write a very detailed review. We have something for every member of the family here at Woodloch, but, of course, we understand that we might not always be the perfect fit for everybody. We are happy to see that you generally enjoyed our food offerings, accommodations, and the various activities and amenities that we provide. We always try to provide as many options as possible during the meals, and your feedback regarding some of these options is invaluable as look to expand and revitalize our menus while striking the balance with what our guests expect each stay. Also, if you are ever in a hurry and do not want to wait for other family members before starting your meal, please let either your server or one of our Dining Room Managers know and we would be more than happy to serve your meal at that time. We hope to see you again!

Stamford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

I recently got back from a weekend at the Woodloch Springs resort where my family and I attended a cousins wedding. 20 or so of us shared two houses that were next to each other. The houses were clean, comfortable and quite spacious.

We had a free afternoon and took full advantage of the go-carts, rock climbing wall, shooting range, batting cage, etc. The activities were enjoyed by all.

My only complaint revolves around what I preceived as a lack of customer service focus. Our email reservation gave an address to plug into our GPS. The address took us to a unmanned gate that we could not get past. There was a sign directing us to the correct gate, but even that was confusing. Our party came in probably eight or ten cars, and everyone got lost. When we finally got to the front gate, I mentioned to the guard that he might want to mention to his boss that they need better signs, and his response was that everyone says that.

After getting the keys to our house and dropping off our bags we went to where the activities were and it was very confusing as to what was included and what we had to pay extra for. After a great deal of confusion we finally figured it out just in time to be told by all the guys that run the activities that they were shutting down for two hours so they could have lunch and then go work the carnival. I don't consider myself too demanding, but after paying what we didnt I dont want to hear that they are closing down the shooting range, go-carts, etc. so that they can have lunch and go work somewhere elso on the property.

So we took that opportunity to go look for lunch ourselves. I wasnt involved in the planning so I was unaware of the various options, but our deal did not include meals. There was a BBQ in front of the main building that looked nice, but if you werent on the meal plan it was $25 per person. Again, it looked good, but $25 per person for a party of four for hamburgers, hotdogs and corn on the cob was a bit steep. We went elsewhere.

My cousin got married on the property in front of the lake. After the wedding we walked a very short distance to the reception which was wonderful. The folks that ran the wedding did a very nice job and were highly organized. The rest of the departments could learn from the wedding division.

One more thing. The property is beautiful, but very large and from where we stayed we had to drive to everything. I much prefer having everything in walking distance.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tom C
Dear Tom C,

We are glad to see that you enjoyed your guest home accommodation and the various activities you were able to partake in during your most recent stay. Our goal is to provide every guest with an exceptional experience, no matter how long or how short their stay might last.

We are terribly sorry to learn of the confusion surrounding directions to our resort on your day of arrival. Due to the rural area where we reside, and the various mapping databases utilized by different GPS systems, we have come to find that certain GPS systems may sometimes give incorrect directions to our location. Sometimes, this issue can be resolved by updating your GPS to the latest set of maps provided by the GPS manufacturer. Because of this reason, we always recommend that our guests use our written directions provided on our website or with every reservation confirmation in order to find the most direct route to our location.

We are also disappointed to see that there was confusion regarding our activity schedule. We try to make the schedule readily available in various locations to our guests. Activity sheets are provided at both Front Desk locations (Pines and Springs), and also outside of the Clubhouse entrance at Woodloch Springs. We also have our activity sheet available on our in-house cable channel which can be accessed by any television in the guest homes. Information regarding activities is also provided in the information packet provided in each accommodation. We have many activities that take place over the course of each day, and the activity schedule provides you with the locations and times that these activities would take place. We will discuss this matter further with our Management Team to make sure that every guest is aware of the various options available to them at check-in.

Our Cookout meal is a tradition here at Woodloch, and features unlimited burgers, hot dogs, various wraps, chicken wings, clams, and beer, among other things. While this meal takes the place of our sit-down lunch, there are other options available for lunch during the warmer months including our Country Store Deli, our grill down by the beach area, as well as the Grille Room restaurant at Woodloch Springs. We sincerely hope that these various options were communicated to you when you inquired about joining us for lunch.

Thank you very much for sharing your review and your kind words regarding our Weddings department. We sincerely apologize for the various issues experienced during your stay, and hope that you will return to us in the future when you might be able to get the full Woodloch experience.

For the Woodloch Family
Morristown, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

My family and I have been visiting Woodloch Pines for over 35 years! on my recent visit in August I was again blown away by the high level of customer service, friendliness & attention we received.
Besides this it is all out fun! Segway tours, horseback riding, outdoor sports, golf boating & swimming and entertainment are just a few of the activities available.
While there we also visited the Lodge at Woodloch! this is a WorldClass Spa destination.
The massages were unbelievable! We relaxed and enjoyed a refreshing time!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lou S
Dear Lou S,

We appreciate the having your family join us for all of these years! Our staff is always available to make your stay as pleasant as possible, and we appreciate the high marks. We are delighted that you enjoyed the activities, and were able to visit our sister property, The Lodge at Woodloch, which is truly a unique destination spa experience. We cannot wait until your next visit! Thank you for sharing your review.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We booked a condo on the golf course and arrived with another family mid day. We checked in upon arrival they told us the house would not be ready until after 5:30!!! What? Although they said we are free to use the facilities we could not fully enjoy them until we were all settled in. We had food and luggage in the car. Our room was finally ready at 6 pm. By the time all 8 of us showered - to get ready for dinner it was extremely late. The kids had lost their appetite after snacking on junk and in addition we couldn't get a table at the clubhouse until 9pm.
We stayed here twice a year as our kids were growing up. It seems they have become more popular over the years and have not kept up to par with accommodating the added business.
The day of checkout we all had to get up extremely early to pack up the house since check out is extremely early as well. Over $2000 for technically less than two full days! Never again

• Stayed August 2013
Woodloch, Owner at Woodloch Pines Resort, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Elyse I,

We are terribly disappointed to have fallen short of your expectations on your most recent stay at Woodloch. We strive to make every guest experience the best it can be, and we always hope to improve upon any issues that any guest may have encountered. Our Housekeeping department works very hard to get our guests into their accommodations as quickly as possible; unfortunately, circumstances sometimes dictate that accommodations may not be ready until our stated check-in time, which is typically 5 PM most days, and 6 PM on Sundays and holidays. We are very sorry if you had to wait until later in the day to have access to your home. We have very high standards of cleanliness, and due to the sizes of the homes or wear and tear of previous guests, sometimes the homes may take several hours to clean up to these standards. As a courtesy, we do allow guests to arrive before their check-in time, and have full use of our facilities while their accommodations are readied. We have locker rooms and changing facilities complete with showers and hair dryers that can be used throughout the day. We encourage guests to pack a day bag and utilize these facilities so that they are able to leave their luggage in their vehicles without having to unpack any items. On the day of departure, check-out time is 11 AM to accommodate any incoming guests, but you still retain full access to our property for as long in the day as you would like. Again, our locker rooms potentially could serve as your base in case you need a place to change.

We are also disappointed to see that you were unable to secure dinner reservations until later in the evening. During our peak times, meal reservations in advance of your stay are highly recommended. While we always try our best to accommodate any walk-in reservations, making reservations beforehand or booking within our American Plan will ensure that you have your desired and appropriate dining times.

We hope that you and your family were still able to enjoy your stay, despite your experiences on your arrival day. These matters will be taken back to our Management Team to see where we are able to improve in our daily operations, and we sincerely hope that your next visit to Woodloch will meet all of your expectations. We hope to see you again!

Kings Park, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

Woodloch Pines holds a special place in our hearts! Let me just say, if you have never been here, but are in need of some quality time with good friends or family, this is the place to go! I have been coming here since I was 12 years old with my parents, those memories I will cherish forever! Now my two kids who are 6 and 3 love it as much as we do! They always cry when it's time to head home!

The rooms are extremely clean as well as all other areas of the property. Food and service is excellent and the activities are always changing and constantly going. It's great for those who want to get up and have fun for the the day. However, there are plenty of places to go if you just want to hang out, unwind and relax.

One thing I have always been impressed by...the owners and the staff!! They genuinely welcome you into their "home" and go above and beyond to help and accommodate you in any way. AND...you see the same faces year after year! Staff turnover is low, which just goes to show how happy the staff is to be there and how well they are treated. Very impressive!

Keep up the great work Woodloch ~ I'm so happy I have been able to share the Woodloch experience with my family!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Woodloch, Owner at Woodloch Pines Resort, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Danielle D,

Thank you for introducing the next generation of your family to Woodloch! While we never want to see any tears on departure day, we hope that they disappear quickly once your kids realize that they have next year to look forward to. My family and the entire Woodloch family is always available to welcome you and make sure that your stay is the best it can be. We truly appreciate having you join us, and cannot wait until next time!

Farmingdale, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

We just spent our 11th year at Woodloch Pines this past August. Our kids started out going at 7 and 10. From the start when they were little there was plenty for them to participate in. Every year brought different events. I call it a mixture of camp and a cruise on land. There is a lot to do for those who want to participate and a lot NOT to do for those who rather relax. Our family is involved in every lake game, amazing race, olympics, pool games and whatever else they can dream up for us. I can't quite explain how much fun we have every year. When we leave I actually go through a small depression wishing I was back there. Love the beauty of the place, the staff is amazing and the food is terrific. I recommend it for pretty much anyone.

Room Tip: We stay in the Springbrook building same room every year.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank scarthome
Dear scarthome,

Thank you so much for choosing Woodloch for all of these years! We hope that you have won many medals in the various competitions we throw your way, and hope that you have enjoyed the different activities Joey and his staff have created over the years. It is our goal to make each and every Woodloch vacation unique, fun-filled, and conducive to a lot of laughs. Thank you for the recommendation, and we cannot wait to see you next year!

& The Entire Woodloch Family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawley
Greshams Lake View Motel
Ledges Hotel
Ledges Hotel
#3 of 7 in Hawley
Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center

Been to Woodloch Pines Resort? Share your experiences!