“great place for families”

Woodloch Pines Resort
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Hawley
GreenLeadersGold level
ny
“great place for families”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

read and heard so many good things, figured it was time to check it out for myself. have to say, everything i've heard was true.

rooms - stayed in a suite overlooking the lake, plenty of room, one of the lights didn't work and for some reason they never replaced the tissues in one of the bathrooms, but seriously wasn't a big deal.

food - plenty of choices, and as much as you want. not exactly gourmet, but that's not what it's all about...found something to enjoy at every meal

activities - for this reason alone it's worth the trip. they'll keep everyone busy from morning til night.

staff - could not have been nicer. u meet the owners who seem to know everyone there (if they don't, they do a heck of a good job pretending).

they have a shuttle bus if u need / want it, weather was good enuf we only used it @ night sometimes. only really needed money for things like the arcade and gift shop, most activities were included, as were gratuities.

we'll def head back soon, kids are already asking.

Room Tip: the suites are a short walk to the main area, worth it in my opinion if u need it/don't mind the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
Short Hills, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

Took my 12 year old daughter here to escape from from the cold and dark in NJ 4 days after hurricane Sandy hit, a bunch of other families from our town were already there. It took almost no time to forget about the misery back home and get into the Woodloch spirirt and charm. From go-kart racing to skeet shooting to paintball to scavenger hunts to music trivia games to huge family style meals to really fun entertainment every night ... this place is tailor made for great family vacations. You cannot walk by an employee (or one of the many family member/owners who work there) without a really warm greeting.
I can't wait to go back - even when i do have power at home!

1 Thank richard a
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

I have been to Woodloch Pines three years in a row- 2 summer, 1 Fall. This is the best all inclusive family resort in the Poconos. Although the physical resort is outstanding, it is the people I miss upon checkout. I love everything about it and have never been disappointed.

• Stayed November 2012
Long Island, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

I came to Woodloch for the first time with a group of 4 women for a spa weekend. We had a day to "kill" prior to our day at the spa, and we had a great time: we took a hike, played mini-golf, and then participated in "cupcake wars" which was a blast (even though we didn't win!!). It's easy to find something to do--the activities are never-ending and appeal to a wide age group.

The spa is fabulous--true pampering, from the moment you walk through the doors of the lodge until the minute you leaveor, starting with valet parking, and moving on to fluffy robes and slippers, fresh fruit, water and tea in nearly ever public space, and staff available everywhere to assist with all of your needs. There are so many treatments to choose from; we selected several different massages, facials and reflexology. The therapists were universally attentive, pleasant and well trained. All appointments were right on time.

Choose where you stay carefully. The Springs is lovely, and perfect if you want to golf. We stayed there because we wanted a larger condo type unit with a kitchen. It's also great if you want some space between you and the very large number of high energy children at the lodge. However, it's a 5-10 minute drive from the Springs to the Lodge or the Inn, and most of the activities. So if you want to be in the thick of it, and have closer access to the activites (which run nearly non-stop), then stay at one of the accommodations closer to the Pines Lodge.

A final note, we have traveled extensively, and I can say without hesitation that the staff at Woodloch is the friendliest, most helpful I have ever come across. I've heard that many are long-time employees, and most are local. Their care, and affinity, for Woodloch come shining through.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Middletown, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

We just got back from a two day visit at Woodloch (11/7-11/9). As soon as we arrived we were confronted with a messy situation, our daughter was car sick. The hotel was extremely helpful! They immediately took her coat and had it cleaned for us. I was relieved and very grateful- thanks again. We stayed at a suite in the springbrook section. The view of the lake from the room was lovely. It was spacious...two full size beds, a sofa bed, two bathrooms, two televisions etc. The room was very clean and extremely comfortable. It was also close to both pools (outside obviously was closed) and indoor was right next door, which makes it so convenient when you have three little ones (2,4,6). There was a bit of a damp odor in the room but the hotel provides you with a dehumidifier.
The indoor pool is fabulous for little kids, zero entry all around, water falls, slides and water sprayers, definitely alot of fun. They have saunas, hot tubs, racquetball courts etc. The pool guys were all very nice and their service was great!
The resort has activities scheduled every hour, your kids will not be bored! Bumper cars, bumper jeeps for toddlers, arcades, wii room, go carts, batting cages, paintball, rifle range, basketball, arts and craft room, indoor jungle gym, bumper boats etc. There was a girl who entertained the little ones, I think her name was Mary, and she was amazing! She was so kind and so engaging, our kids had a ball with her! The activities are endless and all ages can be entertained at this resort. There are also characters walking the dining halls and the little ones just loved it!
Dining is at set times which makes it difficult for young kids. Dinner is not served until 6 PM and after a day full of activities kids under 6 are too tired to eat this late. My kids were cranky and starving. It would be nice to have a set window to dine like from 5-7 PM. There are also many waitresses, one for water, another for bar , one for food it was all so confusing as this was never explained to us. We were given a bit of an attitude by the staff when we asked for things on Wednesday but no one told us that there were three different servers. The food on Wednesday was terrible. I had an ice cold veggie burger, my husbad a luke warm burger, and my kids chicken tenders were cold and the fries cold, greasy and soggy. My two year old made out the best with her grilled cheese. Dinner was the same, all food was served cold. I did not find the staff in the dining hall to be friendly at all this evening. In fact alot of us there had just suffered Sandy's wrath and were trying to get a warm meal and place to stay. We had booked this hotel way before Sandy, because of the reviews, and came from a devastated NJ no one approached us once, we heard and saw other staff communicating with guests, but we felt like we were not acknowledged at all. Thursday morning the breakfast was horrible. We were never even told what was on the menu and when we asked the waitress she looked at us like we were crazy! I don't know if I missed the memo on breakfast, we were so confused! We were actually guessing at what they had to offer. Again, not too friendly here with the service, we were told there was french toast or eggs. The french toast was the worse I ever had, but it was warmer! Fruit was brown. My son enjoyed his eggs and the other two had cereal. Lunch was better because I ordered a grilled cheese, I thought I should play it safe and I was eating nothing but unhealthy food. In fact by the afternoon, I felt ill and actually spent the rest of my day inside the room with my two year old. There is also no room service at this resort, which I get the whole family dining experience, but sometimes you just appreciate the convenience of having room service. As our day progressed the food got better and hotter and the service was better Thursday evening. Friday morning we were blown away! We had a waitress named Mary B. who was exceptional she ran through the entire menu and was awesome! She was the first person to ask us where we were from and the drink waitress from Staten island was also very nice. Now we felt like the other guests! This is what I initially expected from Woodloch judging by the reviews I read, if service was like this the entire time it would have been a home run for us! Food needs improvement. Drinks are expensive both alcohol and kid specialty and vending machines too (e.g. $3.00 gatorade).
Entertainment is every night and its campy but we enjoyed it! There were times I felt like I was having deja vu but my husband reminded me that it was memories of the resort featured in the Dirty Dancing movie.
They had a haunted hayride, our kids were two young for it and were so disappointed because they really wanted to go on one, maybe next time they can schedule an earlier less frightening hayride for the little ones. Thursday evening they put on a mock horse race, it was long and drawn out. Too bad my kids were excited for it but we left early.
The grounds are beautiful the hotel is rustic, rooms are clean not fancy but comfortable, tons of stuff to do but the food needs work. Most of the staff is very pleasant, bottom line our kids had a blast! It seems like things get better towards the weekend, boat rides on the lake, magic show in the evening- we were missing out! Maybe if we stayed Friday we would have liked it even more..seems like they are better equipped with staff and on their toes for the weekend crowd. We would like to return to Woodloch again just hope they can fix the food. Four stars because everything else was great, would have been a five if our dining experience was better.

Room Tip: Spring brook is right near the pools and the rest of the resort is all in walking distance, and ther...
5 Thank amsolu
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

Stayed a weekend for a wedding. We stayed at Woodloch Springs which is about 2 miles from Pines. We shared a huge house with other wedding guests. 5 bedrooms 5.5 bathrooms(3 master bedrooms). The rooms and house was the highlight, cathedral ceilings and fire place and big open kitchen. Everything was extremely clean.
We went to "the horse races" at the "night club" one night. It's a big auditorium with a bar and some tvs. Guest sit and "enjoy" gambling on wooden horses moved down a track. Fun for kids, and there was a lot of them! We ordered 2 buckets of beer and one mixed drink and the tab was $75!! we asked for the bill itemized but they couldn't give us one. Needless to say we stayed away from bars the rest of the trip.
Wedding ceremony was outside on the lake, in Novemburrrrrr. Freezing but very pretty sights. Food wasn't anything special.

• Stayed November 2012
4 Thank vaporrub13
milford, pa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had a really terrific time at Woodloch - my five year old went absolutely nuts. We had lost power because of Sandy and needed a nice refuge so we decided to "make lemonade" and go to Woodloch. They had room for us at the last minute and gave us a lovely room in the main lodge. It was spacious and comfortable and had a great view of the lake. Meals were well done and fresh and service was impeccable. There were many things for our son to do and he almost got overwhelmed. I also admire the way the business is run and its hiring practices. Woodloch obviously hires from the local population instead of importing cheap workers from elsewhere - and in that sense "gives back" to the community. We met some staff who had been at Woodloch for nearly 20 years! That says something. One of our servers at dinner lived just three houses away from the resort. Every staff member greets you with a hello, even if just passing in the hallway. I look forward to returning with my family (it's only 30 minutes from my house!) and to an adult get-away at the Woodloch spa across the lake. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: The rooms in the main lodge are convenient to kid's activities and the dining room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Woodloch, Manager at Woodloch Pines Resort, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
We are all happy to see you and your family had a great time! We are all blessed to work side-by-side with the owners of the resort on a daily basis, and they truly care about all staff and guests that pass through Woodloch’s doors. Just in case you weren’t able to get all of the activities in on this visit, we hope you’ll come back and visit us soon!

The Woodloch Family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawley
Greshams Lake View Motel
Ledges Hotel
Ledges Hotel
#3 of 7 in Hawley
Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center

Been to Woodloch Pines Resort? Share your experiences!