“home away from home”

GreenLeadersGold level
long island
“home away from home”
Reviewed March 6, 2008

i have been going to woodloch pines since i was a child in 1965.started out with my family..now we go with 20 family members including my daughter and 2 grandkids.they all love it too..we are going in april to celebrate it's 50 yr anniv. the place is so clean,people are friendly,food is great..we feel like we are home when we walk in and are treated that way..the cost is pricy but you get alot and it's all good..

Stayed October 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (481)
ny
Reviewed January 21, 2008

My family first visited Woodloch in the late 1970s when I was a child. My family loved it then and still love it now. Granted and stated many times before, it is quite costly for a car trip to the Poconos. However, the laughs and the memories you have there make up for the slight negatives.
The positives: staff is abundant, dutiful and friendly. They usually go above and beyond for anyone. The rooms, grounds and resort locations are all very clean. The activities (tubing, snowmobiling, games, activities, shows, etc.) keep you quite busy and are almost always included within the price of your stay. I stayed with my family of five over the MLK weekend and met up with several other friends and family members and their families. We played many of their scheduled games (Scattegories, Family Fued, You be the Judge) and had many memorable moments.
Slight negatives: for the prices the rooms could be updated. We stayed in Greenbriar and were very happy with our room and its location at the resort. However, others in our extended party stayed in Gateway and Ripple Cove. They could use some gutting and remodeling. My advice to Woodloch would be to step it up a bit - put in some granite, marble, flat screened tvs, etc. Its location in the Poconos wouldn't usually warrant such "niceties" but its prices do. As stated before, the food is plentiful and good, but not exciting. There has to be a way to step this up too. For the prices you deserve more variety.
All in all, the place is wonderful. I would recommend it to family groups

• Liked — nice room size, comfortable beds
  • Disliked — heating was a little difficult to figure out
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank steady
New York, NY
Reviewed January 10, 2008

My family and I have been going to Woodloch since I was a kid(I am now 26). Recently, myself, boyfriend, my older brother and his girlfriend went for a long weekend. It was the first time we were going as adults. I have to say, Woodloch is still TOP NOTCH. As many activities as there are for kids (literally it feels like millions) there are also plenty of activites for adults (scavenger hunts, mystery games, movies, shooting range, bars, nightclub) that both make you feel like a kid again and help occupy your time. There was never a dull moment! We were also able to swim indoors and relax in the jacuzzi as well as play in the man-made snow outside (tubing). Just remember to pack loose fitting clothes as the food is so amazing and rich you will be going back for seconds every time! Go to Woodloch, you wont regret it!

Stayed March 2007
1 Thank LMCC88
NJ
Reviewed December 25, 2007

Woodloch wears their tagline well...I was there in November and plan to return in February(President's weekend is ALWAYS exciting and worth every penny!) and June, since it's the best place I can think of to go on a family vacation.

I made the collosal mistake of "trying something different" last summer and for the same price, our family of four went to Rocking Horse Ranch, which was a complete nightmare. The rooms are hideous, with non-flushing toilets and non-draining showers and not even simple hair-dryers or amenity baskets. The activities are gotten off of a placemat you could find in any diner in the US, and the food was just awful. You had to PAY for an inedible lunch and the only free beverages were undrinkable watered down lemonade and fruit punch. The lake was dirty brown and for boaters only..your only choice for swim was a crowded pool lined with bird feathers and bugs. And don't get me started on what they called evening entertainment....

I am easy to please, but I resented how much Rocking Horse charged for what you got..which was basically NOTHING. (Our family of four spent LESS than a week and paid close to FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS..what we spend on cruises or Club Med!)
Worst of all, the ranch's owners ignored every comment I submitted. That's just inexcusable for any business. How could they not care?

Woodloch's family make YOU feel like family and the resort feels like a home away from home. They don't even advertise and have nearly an eighty percent return guest rate!

We've only discovered this gem of a resort in 2004 and have been back several times since. I can't dispute the previous poster's claim that it's "not what it once was" because I haven't been going for all those years, but it pretty much defines my idea of perfection..especially compared to that train wreck that was the dude ranch..

yes, Woodloch's pricey if you go at a premium time(when activities are top-notch) but as my son stated when we first went when he was nine, "If a place is THIS great, it might as well be free!" So true..I never resented one dime I spent in Woodloch and have always put down next time's deposit at checkout. So many guests were doing the exact same thing!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
2 Thank ScrabbleK
staten island
Reviewed December 3, 2007

Our family has been going to Woodloch since the 60's. Its been a annual tradition forever and we go the same weekend every year in December. Although it still retains it's charm, i feel like it has declined in quality and service a bit over the years. It was innevitable i guess, the entire family vacationing dynamic has changed over the years, and Woodloch is trying to retain its authentic charm while trying to compete with cheap Disney, Caribbean, etc type vacations. I think Woodloch will always have its devoted niche, but it may be time for it reorganize itself and get back to the "tradition of excellence" it has prided itself on since 1958.

3 Thank falecore
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 12, 2007

Same comments as previous review...We, too, stayed in an Edgewater Suite this weekend and the room was not only clean, it was in pristine condition...the 2 bathrooms are a plus with 2 adults and 2 kids!

We will be returning as soon as we can...activities were great...we call this place the "Land Cruise"!!!

• Liked — Activities, food and cleanliness
  • Disliked — nothing!
1 Thank ROBBO66NY
New Jersey
Reviewed November 11, 2007

Just got back from Woodloh after a three night stay.

Great activities for kids.

I loved the food, esp the homemade pies and ice cream!

We are a family of four so we stayed in the Edgewater suites. Very spacious,

Also a plus..the staff is super friendly.

I highly recommend this place.

• Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawley
Greshams Lake View Motel
Ledges Hotel
Ledges Hotel
#3 of 7 in Hawley
Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center

Been to Woodloch Pines Resort? Share your experiences!