“Overpriced food for poor service”
Review of The Settlers Inn

The Settlers Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
The Settlers Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 49 Restaurants in Hawley
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hudson Street (Route 590E)
Transit: Shortline bus company operates from downtown Hawley (approximately four blocks from the Inn) to Port Authority, New York City.
Description: A meticulously restored Arts & Craft Lodge in the Lake Region of Pennsylvania's Pocono Mountains boasting native Chestnut Wood Beams, Bradbury & Bradbury hand screened Wallpapers, Fulper hand crafted tiles, a Stickley Grandfather's Clock, a collection of Arts and Crafts Pottery and Mission Style furnishings. Our hospitality extends from the head to the heart to the hand. Gather with friends or family in the inn's many comfortable common spaces. Bask in a summer's day on the terrace, or stroll the colorful Garden and the banks of the meandering Lackawaxen River. Take a spin around town on one of the bikes on our front porch. Walk out the front door to the Bingham Park and Riverwalk Trail to our sister property, Ledges Hotel, where you are invited to relax on one of the many decks and surround yourself in the natural beauty of the waterfalls and gorge.
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I thought for quite awhile about what rating to give The Settlers Inn, and I landed on a (2). Let me explain.

We were in the Poconos for our honeymoon and wanted an upscale, "fancy restaurant" experience amid all the wilderness and lush forest adventures that we'd been having. I will readily admit that perhaps our expectations were set a bit high, but we looked into a few different restaurants on Trip Advisor, read the reviews, read a menu or two, and decided that The Settlers Inn had the best of what we wanted (good steak/meats, "fancy," booze, ambiance, etc.).

The hostess was amazing, but that's about where the magic ended. The poor service was immediate right off the bat. We later concluded that our server must have doubled as the bartender for the evening (saw her bartending periodically throughout the evening), which we thought was an odd choice given that this was an upscale eatery and the joint was nowhere near busy (MAYBE a fifth of the tables were taken). Again, if we had been at any old restaurant, the service would have been fine. However, at an establishment such as this, we expected a little wining and dining, a few "yessirs," a smile here and there, you know, just some "extra mile" kind of mumbo jumbo. None to be had. She waited on a few tables that were seated before us, even though we did the whole "menus-down-looking-around" bit. I ordered a wine flight, which was a joke. Again, I expected a bit of back and forth, a little bit of "well what kind of wine do you normally like? Try this not this, I recommend this one it's really good, blah blah blah". Nope. And when the wine was delivered to our table, she mumbled three words, one for each wine, and then vanished like the wind. Right, like I'm going to remember what the hell you plopped in front of me. Most wine flights I've had, they write it on a card, put it on some kind of sculpture/tray looking thing, you know, make it look nice. At this point, the poor service was nearing hilarity. She barely spoke two words to us before dessert. We were joking around and after she would bus a dish and get out of earshot, we would say, "oh by the way that tasted great, thank you!". In reality, the food was a little less than we expected. To be perfectly honest, I am more than happy to pay $50 for an awesome steak. This steak was OK, appetizers were a little bland, bread had much to be desired, etc. One of the saving graces of the restaurant (and which bumped this up from a 1 for sure) was the beer selection. Many many wonderful international imports, some delectable choices and offerings that were just fantastic. I really, really wish I could have said the same for the food and the service, what with it being our honeymoon and all. I very rarely tip below 20%, but had to unfortunately stick with 10% this time. Will not be eating here again, hopefully their competition in the area will fair better for our next visit.

4  Thank tjbauerle

Reviewed September 23, 2013

We have eaten at Settlers Inn a few times before and were very pleased. This time before making the hour and 20 minute trip to the Inn for lunch I checked their web site and the menu for September. When we got to the inn we had to wait about 10 minutes before anyone acknowledged us even though there were 4 or 5 employees wondering around the area. Finally someone asked if she could help us, we told her we were there for lunch and she said we are serving on the terrace. The terrace was cold and windy but they did have heaters set up. We asked if they could turn on one of the heaters and the waiter rudely said NO.
Then we got the menus. They were completely different from their web site which would have been ok if they were any type of selection of items on it. There were 4 sandwiches, grilled cheese, burger, Rueben, and a chicken sandwich, one pizza, a pasta, and one special .No variety, nothing creative,, and not enough of a selection.
When we got the bill after a lunch which was just ok if that, we found out that they charged us $3.50 each for a cola with no refills(they said it was diet coke but I doubt that).
I will never return to the Settlers inn and cannot recommend it to anyone.
What should have been a nice day with a good lunch turned into an hour of freezing during a lunch that was not as good or creative as most chain restaurants.

3  Thank allyzoe
Reviewed September 15, 2013

An early afternoon lunch at The Settler's Inn was a delightful experience with prompt service and delicious fresh food fare. The setting was charming. The quiche and salad was tasty and the fish and chips were standard with a very reasonable price. We strolled the garden and stopped by the potting shed which sold various items. If the herbs were for sale that would have been an additional purchase. Hopefully, I can catch the jazz music offered and food fare on my next visit.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

As repeat visitors (albeit for special occasions), the Settlers Inn is always a treat. Good food, well cooked and presented, good service. My only gripe is that the prices seem to be going through the roof.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We were driving by and decided to stop because the facility looked inviting. The meal was absolutely delicious and we will definitely return in the future.