“Excellent!!!!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I was a bit skeptical at first, since the menu was not extensive, but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and taste of breakfast. I ordered a cheese omlette, which was fluffy and delicious and it came with toast (one piece...) and potatos with onions (or without or with peppers) and they were fantastic. They were cooked perfectly, and not too salty. The cheese to omlette ration was perfect. (I know, sounds nuts doesn't it!??) Coffee was very good as well, and the little extra touches were really nice. Real glasses (not plastic) and VERY big coffee cups/mugs and a little pitcher for the cream, rather than those individual throw away creamers was really a nice touch. When we got there on Sunday morning around 11, we were told it would be a 10-15 minute wait, and we probably didn't even wait 10 minutes. The service was good- not too fast, not too slow and the ambiance was very nice. I was so surprised, that I will definitely go back.

There are newer reviews for Kettle

Reviewed December 14, 2012

This morning’s breakfast at Kettle was saved by a nostalgic excursion to my past. When I was a child this corner store was the local pharmacy: first with Mr. Sorber and later with Max and Silvia Factor. My father and Max were great friends and spent every evening at the soda fountain discussing the news in the Evening Bulletin while I sat on a red seat stool sipping my cherry Coke. This morning we waited close to an hour for a table and used the time to make our selections. Kettle does not take reservations. We ordered immediately. There was a bit of a wait for the food. The service is very pleasant. The small room is clean and pristine in appearance. The entryway is filled with waiting guests and the table and counter are negotiated by a fair number of servers.
Breakfast arrived. Some of the orders were not quite right and were missing an ingredient of two. The omelets was far too overcooked, the egg on the leathery side. The spinach stuffing seemed to come from the freezer. The dryness of turkey club with bacon was underscored by the brittle iceberg lettuce. The tortillas of the rancheros seemed a bit like microwaved leftovers and the meat was not particularly tender and tasty. While we did not have the pancake or French toast, from what we saw at the tables around us they seemed little different from House of Pancakes. For a breakfast that came to about $10 per order, you can do better in a regular restaurant that serves Sunday brunch or even at a good diner. The Kettle makes a good appearance, but falls short of quality. It was a disappointment especially since because of its history, I wanted it to be good.