“Nice addition to Havertown/Oakmont”

Kaffir Thai Cuisine
Ranked #19 of 74 Restaurants in Havertown
Cuisines: Thai
Phila, PA
“Nice addition to Havertown/Oakmont”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Went on a Thursday night without a reservation. There was only one group there, but then it is a busy vacation week just before Labor Day. A few more diners arrived and more came for takeout. Small dining room with lots of Thai decorations; very cozy. Our server was friendly and attentive, refilling water and checking on us. We loved our dinners. We arrived around 7 which is when their dinner specials end, but our server readily allowed us to choose from that menu. Soup, small appetizer and entree for $14.95. We had lemongrass and Thai ravioli soups, Thai dumpling and Crispy Roll for the appetizers, and Pad Thi with Beef and Drunken Noodles with Chicken for the entrees. All were fresh, hot and delicious. Because everything is prepared fresh, it takes a little while for food to arrive. Allows time for chilling and enjoying your BYOB. A municipal parking lot is just around the corner with free parking after 6pm. Credit Cards accepted. A really nice experience and highly recommend.

• Visited August 2013

Ardmore, Pennsylvania
“I keep coming back”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

This is my very favorite Thai restaurant. I have tried most in the area. The food is consistently good no matter what I order. I like my food spicy and they always accommodate. The staff is courteous and helpful. The food is always piping hot and that is one thing I will send my meal back for. BYOB makes it even better. I like their ChuChee Duck in red curry sauce. Red Curry is now my new favorite. The prices are good and if you dine before 7 on M-Th they have a deal for appetizer, soup and meal that is pretty good.

• Visited August 2013
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
“Great little spot in Havertown!”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I've been to Kaffir Thai several times. Whenever my parents visit, they beg to go here. My father absolutely adores their spicy duck, and my mom loves her pad thai duck. (I always order something different, but I admit, next time it's the pad thai duck. It really is that good.) Not only is the food good and the wait staff attentive, but it's not too loud, unlike so many restaurants today. It's definitely a nice spot if you want to have a good conversation and/or if you have someone who is more sensitive to noise. I recommend it!

• Visited March 2013
Akron, Ohio
“This restaurant is improving and is perfect for couples.”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

The Thai food served at Kaffir Thai Cuisine is definitely improving. Although it has not yet reached the standard set by its predecessor, Sukhothai, the food and preparation has improved. Although not all dishes are remarkable, the value makes eating there worthwhile. The quality of the food dropped noticeably after the restaurant changed ownership, but while other Asian restaurants are open in Havertown and one of these is exponentially more expensive, the improvement of the cuisine, the value, the excellent attentive and understated service and the quiet cozy ambience make Kaffir Thai equal to them and even better for couples seeking a quiet repast.

I ate there twice in April and May after a gap of two years since my last visit and found the meals tasty and spiced to my taste as requested. Two of the three appetizers, the Golden Ring (fried calamari) and Tulip Dumplings were excellent. The accompanying peanut sauce was a little too sweet. The third appetizer, the Chixken Satay was rather plain. The Papaya Salad I ordered was spicy and delicious with just the right amount of kick. Of the two entrees, the Chu Chee Duck tasted wonderful but could have been a little crispier and the vegetables in my Pad Thai should have been fresher. I was served my Pad Thai so quickly I knew it had been prepared earlier in the day. With Thai cuisine, that is a no-no. My usual dessert, Thai Iced Coffee, was pleasing.

Located in the heart of Havertown, PA, with metered parking on the street and around the corner in the municipal lot on Darby Rd., take out and delivery are available. BYOB is welcome as Kaffir Thai does not have a liquor license.

Kaffir Thai (named after a type of lime leaf used in Thai cooking) deserves to see a lot of business during the upcoming 2013 US Open Golf Tournament being held at the Merion Golf Club less than a mile away.

• Visited May 2013
Pennsylvania
“Nice neighborhood place”
Reviewed March 25, 2012

This place has been under new ownership for about a year. We had eaten here in the past and liked it, but not since the new chef. On the plus side, the server was great. She was very attentive and truly seemed to care that we enjoy our meal. The food itself was just so-so. The papaya salad was sweet and swimming in dressing. Our three entrees had the same vegetables, which did not feel fresh to order. The Thai eggplant and the noodle dish we had tasted exactly the same: sweet and flavorless. The green curry was a little better, due to the curry "kick." Not bad for a neighborhood restaurant when you don't feel like cooking, but not worth going out of your way for.

• Visited March 2012