“A Stay with exceptional values”

Best Western Premier The Central Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Manassas, Virginia
“A Stay with exceptional values”
Reviewed September 9, 2011

The service provided by the hotel for lack of better word was “outstanding”. The physical appearance is eye catching. The Hotel is very clean and well maintained inside out. The new paint selected blends perfectly with the carpet. The décor primarily in the lobby seems to be carefully selected to give an esthetic look. It blends perfectly well with everything else. Housekeeping did a great job to clean our room. Each bed was made with four pillows selectively placed to give an artistic look to the room. It was very impressive. Amenities were plentiful. My wife noted that it was the first stay ever she did not have to call the front desk for a shower cap. One was already placed in the room. The room provides video/audio/computer interface to hook up personal equipment. Wireless internet connection is provided almost everywhere in the premise. However, if a wired connection is desired, switches are provided in the lobby, just use your personal Ethernet cable and you will be on the web in a splash. Better yet, if you do not bring a computer and desired to use one, no problem. The lobby has a lot of them even with printers connected in an office setting configuration. The only thing is that “audio” capability seems to be disabled.
The complementary breakfast was fantastic. It was not a half Breakfast. It was a full one served in a well decorated restaurant located in the premise. There were a lot of selections from hot oatmeal to bacon or sausages. The food served was fresh. You can even request hot chocolate and other things from the waiter with no additional cost.
This is in all VALUE at best!
CONs: The frig is very small. However, it you have a cooler, this may not be a problem. There are a lot of ice machines throughout the premise that pump ice in a splash. Just leave some of your stuff in the cooler and fill it with ice when needed. Make sure you drain your cooler at least once a day to remove the excess water.
Room at the highway side seems to be very noisy. The cars/trucks ran all night long. But if a quieter atmosphere is desired, just ask to be moved to a different side of the hotel. We did just that the second night and it was truly a much better and quieter experience.
Things to do while there: The hotel is only about 8 miles from HERSHEYPARK. You can even purchase your discount ticket at the front desk, if you do not have one yet .Or you can stop by any nearby McDonald’s and pick a discount coupon that can be used at the Park. But if you want the multiday ticket, you have to purchase your ticket at the Park.
The Hotel provided great service. We loved it. We will stay there again if need be.
NB. We were able to find better rate at the Hotel’s Website.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Super-Cruiser623

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Korean first
NJ
Reviewed September 7, 2011

I was very dissapointed in this Hotel and the staff. I asked for a room not near the pool and was given one with a window that overlooked the indoor pool. It was very loud. asked for a room change and was told I couldn't change it despite the fact the Hotel was not nearly full. I also asked if we could upgrade to a bigger room and was told I couldn't because I booked through Trip Advisor/Hotels.com. The room was VERY SMALL! Barely any room to move around with a family of four in a room with two queen beds. Bathroom was even smaller and fogged up instantly. Breakfast was OK. I would not stay here again based on the lack of service and really small rooms.

4 Thank GerryNJ
robblood, Owner's Representative at Best Western Premier The Central Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 12, 2011
Dear "GerryNJ"
The only thing I can do here is apologize for the experience that you had at our hotel. Both of the items that you mentioned should have been rectified. John Aldridge, our General Manger, has addressed your concerns with the Front Desk staff and my hope is that this situation does not repeat itself with any future guests.

You should have been placed in a room away from the pool and we should have been able to accommodate your desired upgrade if the rooms were available At our property training is conducted on an ongoing basis and critiques such as yours help us to better inform our staff of guests needs.

I would like to point our that our guest rooms are standard hotel room size and that we do offer a dozen double sized rooms and many adjoining rooms if any guest desires more space.

I hope that you will contact me personally at ------- in the future if you are in Harrisburg again. We would certainly like the opportunity to earn your business again.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 7, 2011

We ran into a bit of trouble with our check in because the hotel claimed to have never received our information from Expedia. Traveling with my mother, younger sister and 89 year old grandmother I was looking forward to making check in as quick and painless as possible. After sitting patiently for 15 minutes awaiting word from the front desk a few feet away I approached and was told that everything was set and was handed a room card. The same room card that had been sitting on the counter for some time. Miscommunication aside, we were told that we had been upgraded to a king suite with jacuzzi.

This hotel is very obviously updated and very spacious. Our fabulous king suite had more than enough room for four people to roam about comfortably. The bathroom is a bit small but its manageable. The sofa bed is a bit uncomfortable but it gets the job done. Our room was very clean and the fridge, microwave, coffee maker were a welcome touch.

We took advantage of the indoor pool AND in room jacuzzi. Both were pleasant and clean. We only stayed one night but made sure to take advantage of the complimentary breakfast buffet. The breakfast spread is very nice and everything is replenished promptly. There are waitresses that come around taking drink orders and cleaning tables. Gail, who waited on us, was such a delight. We enjoyed our hot chocolates with a smile and will definitely return if we are in the area again.

1 Thank asiae2013
Bayside, New York
Reviewed September 6, 2011

We just came back from a Labor Day weekend and the Best Western Premier hotel will be a place we would highly recommend to anyone and will stay here again. The hotel was top notch and our room was large, very clean, updated to today's modern style and even had a balcony up front. The service was great and included a wonderful breakfast buffet every morning. We were genuinly delighted to stay here and was centrally located to nearby shops, restaurants and the main highway to visit Hershey, Lancaster county and downtown Harrisburg. You will not be dissappointed.

3 Thank Arlene M
Dear Alrlene,
Thank you thank you thank you. We are proud of all of the work that we've done over the last year to renovated and re-launch the hotel. We are so grateful to hear from guests who have enjoyed the hotel.

We look forward to hosting you during your next trip to the Hershey-Harrisburg Area.

Jersey Shore, New Jersey
Reviewed September 2, 2011

Usually stay at hyatt or westin hotels - but there are none in the area so I knew this was going to be a step below where we usually stay. Thought that based on the website pics the hotel was all new/renovated. I booked a queen suite 2 beds and sofabed- larger room on their website. When I arrived, they gave me a 2 queen bed room. It was very small. about 2 feet to walk around beds - When I inquired about the room, first they told me it was the room I booked - then I asked where the sofabed was and they agreed that the online booking wasn't working properly and they had no rooms left of the size I asked for. The manager did offer to give us a room with a king bed and rollaway bed, but we asked for a discount to use the room they had assigned us instead. The bathroom is 5 foot by 7 foot .... very very tiny also... The included breakfast buffet in the Irish pub on site was nice- they had hot eggs/potatoes/sausage/cereal etc... location is convenient to all Harrrisburg/Hershey attractions. I would probably not stay here again due to tiny rooms and although the pool is larger it is only 3 foot deep. There is a nice fitness center, game room and laudromat onsite and quite a few computers with internet access available in the lobby.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank tmiglobal
robblood, Owner's Representative at Best Western Premier The Central Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 5, 2011
Dear "newjoisey"
We'd like to thank you for choosing to stay at our newly renovated hotel. We're glad that you picked our hotel based on our website and that you enjoyed our complimentary hot breakfast buffet. You are absolutely correct that our location is very convenient to all that Hershey and Harrisburg have to offer. In addition to the fitness center, game room, and laundromat and business center we offer a full service restaurant and a 24 hour sundry shop for your convenience!

I'd like to let you know that our large pool is 3 feet in the shallow end and 7.5 feed in the deep end - it's easy to miss this if you are only walking through the pool!

I followed up with the front desk staff and reviewed your reservation. Apparently when you reserved the room online you selected a room with two queen beds rather than the queen deluxe with two queen beds and a sofa bed. Because we only have 4 of the larger rooms, we were not able to accommodate you in that room type when you arrived.

As a result of this situation we are revising our online descriptions so that the distinction between room types is more clear and so that we can avoid this unfortunate situation in the future. It is true that our bathrooms are petite but they certainly provide adequate space and are well appointed with excellent shower heads and quartz counter tops.

If you do decide to stay with us again in the future, please call us directly to make a reservation so that we may make sure that we can accommodate you in one of our large queen deluxe rooms, a king conference suite or a king jacuzzi deluxe room -- all are twice the size of one of our standard guest rooms.

Reviewed August 31, 2011

Upon our arrival we were checked into a room that was not ready. There was garbage, old coffee cups and other items strewn around the room. The beds were unmade with most of the sheets on the floor. I was half expecting someone to shout "Hey! Get out of my room!"

I have 4 small children, one of whom has autism. Consequently, it was an ordeal tromping back up to the front desk. We were assigned a new room, however, there was only enough sleeping space for 4 people. When I made the reservations, the person assurred me that they could put two roller beds in the room to accommodate all 6 of us. Once again-the long treck to the front desk. The person at the counter informed me that only one roller bed would fit in the room. So my two youngest children had to share a twin bed. VERY inconvenient.

The room was clean enough and the beds/pillows were average. The maid service did not come around until dinner time which I thought was poor.

The pool, while large, was very dirty. I was hesitant to let my kids swim in it. The bottom of the pool was clearly riddled with visible piles of dirt. There were random piles of what appeared to be brown hair - I'm not exactly sure what it was - but it was pretty disgusting. The entire time we were at the pool no one cleaned up the gross piles or refilled the towel bin. There were piles of dirty towels that remained in the used towel bin for the entire time we were at the pool.

The food in the restaurant was so-so. Breakfast was below average.

All in all I was disappointed. My husband and I agree that we will not return to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank Donna3198
Dear "Donna3198"
I am very sorry to hear that you won't be returning to our property. I would like to personally apologize for your initial check in situation which lead to your being assigned a room that had yet to be cleaned. I can certainly understand your displeasure. Upon following up with the front desk staff I discovered that the room had been improperly coded in our property management system as clean. I have spoken to the head housekeeper and the front desk supervisor and reiterated the importance of accuracy so that we can avoid this in the future.

I would like to point out that it is our policy to only allow one roll-away in our queen and king guest rooms as it is not possible to fit 2. If you wish to have 6 people in a room, it is necessary to book one of our queen deluxe rooms which have two queen beds and a sleeper sofa and are more than spacious enough to enjoy an extended stay.

Regarding the pool, I can only say that it is cleaned on a daily basis and our housemen are scheduled on regular basis to replace the towels. It is possible that your visit to the pool was before the scheduled cleaning but regardless, there is no excuse for a dirty pool and we will make sure that it will continue to be cleaned on the daily schedule.

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay on Trip Advisor. We hope that next time you are in Harrisburg that you will give us another try. All the best, Rob Blood | Owner's Representative
St. Thomas
Reviewed August 30, 2011

We stayed with a group for 3 nights. The Staff were outstanding from the welcoming at the reception desk to the housekeeping department. We arrived with our Corvettes and after driving thru rain for 10 hours the Group Manager Justin Bacon asked the Maintenance department to attach the hose outside of the housekeeping so that the men could rinse off the dirt from the vehicles. This was way beyond anyones expectations in service. The numerous calls to the front desk were answered immediately and we were assisted on many issues of locating phone numbers. Oh did l mention that the rooms were spotless and the bed is comfortable with an outstanding shower. The computers were down due to the Irene storm and the night auditor was very efficent to insure us a receipt would be emailed to us in which case they were and emphazied to call if we had any discrepancy's. The breakfast that is included is outstanding-definitely this is the best hotel for families and our couples.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple