“Nice hotel!”

Ranked #28 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reisterstown, Maryland
“Nice hotel!”
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a night before a show in Hershey. The hotel was nice and the breakfast was amazing! They had so many options and I left stuffed! Our room was small, but good for our night stay. The staff was very nice and friendly! I like that the hotel is near a small town, but if you go to far you end up is a kind of sketchy area that made me feel uncomfortable. It isn't too far from Hershey though. If you are looking for an amazing sunrise and subset, this is a great place to stay! The sunset on the water, was breath taking! We enjoyed our stay- only tip would be to provide bigger pillows haha

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York
Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is an older hotel that is well kept right on the river within easy walking distance of restaurants on Second Avenue and less than half a mile from the Amtrak station. It has free parking and was clean with friendly staff. The breakfast was average with no rotation of items during the week I was there.
The rooms have a microwave and refrigerator so you can bring in food since there is not much to do at night in the area. There is an Indian Restaurant next to the hotel, but I did not try it. If you are going to Harrisburg Hospital you can walk right to the main entrance in less than five minutes.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Seattle
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

A friendly desk person, a comfortable clean room , microwave, fridge, coffee maker, free wifi (though it drifted in and out sometimes). Highly satisfactory for an overnight stay. There is even a great view of the Schuylkill River just past the parking lot. One improvement might be net curtains for the lower level windows but now I'm just being picky.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Needs to be remodeled: new carpet, new beds. But you can't beat the location, right by the river. Was a little concerned at twilight with homeless people In The park. Would not want to walk alone. The city needs to do something about that situation. Good service both at the front desk and breakfast. We did get a bag with water and a snack since we were Choice members. Breakfast usual(wish they could have cinnamon rolls like Holiday Inn.

• Stayed September 2013
Milton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 26, 2013

There are apparently two very different parts of this hotel. I arrived quite late on the last leg of a business trip. I had a meeting in Harrisburg the following morning, and I had just come from the Philadelphia area. I didn't get to experience too much about this hotel due to the fact that I was only there for about 9 hours from check in to check out, and most of that time was spent trying to sleep.

My first impression was that the lobby was pretty well maintained and the staff was excellent. I was assigned a room at the other end of the hotel, which was described to me as one of the "newer rooms." Once I parked and grabbed my necessities from my car, I walked in to the building to find a hallway that was a bit run down. I took the steps to the second floor, at the outlet of which there are the vending machines and what not. Unfortunately, another guest didn't anticipate my arrival as a grotesquely overweight and hairy man (I am a bigger, hairier man, myself) in nothing but his too-small boxer shorts and an awkward smile was getting a Diet Coke. After shaking off that experience, I found my room down the hall, which I found to resemble more of a motel room, as the hallway was little more than an enclosed walkway as you would find on a motel. This is not a huge problem, but the room itself was poorly designed. The room was clean enough, but electrical outlets were impossible to access, the bed was placed somewhat awkwardly where it was, and there was little walking room where the desk chair, closet, and bathroom door converged. The bathroom itself, while clean, was awkwardly shaped and difficult to efficiently maneuver. The bed was sufficient, but not the most comfortable bed in the world.

I had to get up and go in the morning, so I grabbed a quick pastry on my way out after checking out. The breakfast was standard fare for a Comfort Inn, which is better than the average budget hotel breakfast. Overall, I was not too overly disgusted with my stay, and most of my disgust was the result of another guest and not the hotel. I would not be likely to stay in this hotel again as I prefer another property in the area (and I am typically in town for work, and work is on the other side of town), but I would recommend this place to a budget conscious, more forgiving traveler.

Room Tip: I'm not sure what the other rooms are like, but the rooms in the "new wing" are awkwar...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank nmunyat
Reviewed September 19, 2013

There are lots of things to love about this hotel. The front desk people are very attentive and helpful, there's a charming little gift package if you're a Choice Hotels member with water, snacks, etc., and the back has a lovely view of a river in the state capital.

The best though -- and I can't understand why they don't promote it -- is that there's a stunning Indian restaurant called Passage to India right next door, sharing the same parking lot! The restaurant is world class and has caused us to aim for this hotel every time we can make an excuse to draw our route within 100 miles of this place. The hotel is old but very restful, the Internet service is good and free, the breakfast is substantial and also free -- but the Indian restaurant, WOW!!! We've now stayed here five or six times and will be making a beeline for it again soon. Many major highways north, south, east and west cross within a few miles of this picaresque state capital, and I think you'll find it well worth detouring for a good hotel experience and a fabulous meal!!! (If you oversleep breakfast, don't worry -- the Indian restaurant has an expansive and surprisingly low priced breakfast/brunch!!)

Room Tip: If you have a room on the back side, you get a view of the river -- really pretty.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank csts1
Westmont, Illinois
Reviewed September 12, 2013

9/3/2013

The front desk people were friendly and mostly*** helpful.

The room was a bit rundown looking, but clean. A wheel on the desk chair was broken, but replaced after we called. This chair should not have been in the room in the first place, The top edge was shredded so badly that you could see its innards. The replacement chair was nice, not new, but not broken.

The toilet bowl was of the super low variety for people that are accustomed to using holes in the floor. Yes, it felt that low. How about higher toilets, oblong shaped so that those of us with bad knees to not have to suffer! The rest of the bathroom was fine.

The bed was not hard nor soft, but is a bit warped so that from wherever you lie, the body would want to roll towards the middle.

Breakfast is a continental breakfast with waffle makers, hard-boiled eggs, sausage, all the breads etc. No complaints with breakfast.

The pool looks nice but we did not get a chance to use it. That's too bad since the depth on it was quite nice - not the 4 or 5 foot depths of many motel pool.

There was only one rickety luggage cart for the entire first floor. There are no elevators to the 2nd floor. Think before you book a room.

One side of the motel faces the river and walking along the river is nice. The location is good, but it can be difficult to find the entry way when traffic is barreling along the one-way roads. Once you figure out the traffic patterns, it's not so bad.

To eat, you need to drive to restaurants or walk. It is not too bad a walk to 2nd and Market St. where many restaurants can be found; a bit farther are the capitol and government offices. It is a lot of walking if you don't want to drive these heavily traveled roads and one-way streets, or pay for the cost of parking.

We did have one real complaint that was somewhat blown off by the front desk in the morning of checking out. That is with the practice of shoving closing bills under the door early in the morning before checking out. These bills do not always make it under the door completely, and with names and addresses appearing on the bill, anyone can find out who you are, where you live and that your are hundreds or thousands of miles from home. This makes it easy for someone with ulterior motives to contact a friend in your hometown and rob that home of yours, as a example. Knowing someone's name can also be used in scamming relatives out of money when thieves claim they are calling on your behalf because you are "injured," for example. These kind of stories are on the news all the time. A simple solution would be to NOT use a persons name and address on these billing statements.

*** The front desk did not seem to care about leaving bills in hallways for anyone to pick up and claimed that this only happened " today." I really doubt that. The motel should really care and try to prevent ID theft, etc. Being blown off by the front desk is what irked us the most. They did not even apologize. I was tempted to pick up the bills in the hallway and send post cards to each of the addresses on those bills, but that would have been wrong too.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
FOMgrPA129, General Manager at Comfort Inn Riverfront, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Comfort Inn Riverfront. We appreciate your honest feed back. The team here does take pride in providing our guests with great customer service. Our housekeeping team has had a very busy summer and have done a great job keeping our rooms clean! The complimentary breakfast at the Comfort Inn Riverfront includes waffles, eggs and sausage amongst other delicious items. With our newly upgraded Free Hi Speed internet our business travelers also seem to be very pleased with the services that we are providing for them a the RIGHT PRICE!