“Somewhere between poor and average” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn Harrisburg Hershey

Red Roof Inn Harrisburg Hershey
Ranked #30 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
New York City, New York
“Somewhere between poor and average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Staying two nights in the Hershey area to go to the park, I actually switched my reservation from another hotel to the Red Roof based solely on tripadvisor recommendations.. namely, because of the recent renovations of this particular motel.

On first impression, the room looked fine. But, I pulled the sheets back and there were more than a considerable amount of short, black hairs the bed which was concerning. Also, the shower had opened and used soap still in it as well as more black hair on the bathroom floor and on the side of the tub. It felt like the room hadn't been properly/thoroughly cleaned from the previous guest.

We arrived late at night, so we just delt with it (by sleeping on top of the fitted sheet and pulling both the comforter and blanket off the bed completely. To be fair, when I called in the morning and asked for clean sheets, it was not a problem. I've travelled enough to know that you can't expect much more than the basics from a cheap hotel. However, even though it was cleaner the second night, I'm afraid my experience was just gross enough that I won't be considering Red Roof's in the future.

Room Tip: The rooms on the top level have hallway access rather than opening out to the parking lot like the r...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We were spending the weekend in Harrisburg and tried Hotwire for a good deal - this was the hotel we got. The rooms were clean, the beds were comfortable and the staff was very friendly. Located right off the highway near a diner, McDonalds and other restaurants if needed. No amenities like free breakfast, but fine nonetheless.

Room Tip: If you want less noise, you may want to request a room on the 2nd floor, as they are interior access...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Cassville, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Try to get some nicer people to work for you, we only stayed here because the plumbing at the LaQuinta next door broke and they transferred us. We wanted one bottle of shampoo off the maids cart and she threw a fit!! I guess maybe she uses this shampoo at home for her personal use???? I thought that shampoo was free? Especially at the cost of rooms!!! The rest of the hotel was ok. It just makes me mad people are so hateful and ignorant! Maybe this is why you dont sell many rooms!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank April_Troy
Winchester, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Please let Red Roof Inn know we will never stay in any of your motels again. We rented two rooms where the ac did not move the air properly and even though "renovated" the stale cigarette smoke still permeated the air. We turned the air down to 64 in order to be able to breathe but could not sleep because we were freezing and your blanket was so thin, it was useless. As for the bedspread, it was stained with suspicious substances so not interested in using them in either room either.

Also, didn't appreciate coming back late the first night to discover the cleaning lady shorted us one set of towels. But the final insult was to get the bills and they were for more than you had stated they would be. We paid $220.+ per room because you charged us a "safe" user fee each night of $1.50 for a total of $6.00. While a little money, it really was the kicker to say never again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. We read the reviews and thought any place could have a bad review but should ha...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank Caroline0419
Belle Vernon, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

We arrived at Red Roof Inn after driving from OC MD. I had read the reviews and thought it would be ok for our two nights in the Harrisburg area. I was sadly mistaken. Staff was friendly enough, but room and building were below par. Upon entering room we were met by flies!! Not just one or two, but more like 10 plus. Apparently this had been a previous issue considering I found them smashed on mirrors, wall, and two on ceiling. I killed 6 myself in less than 10 mins. Carpet was stained terribly and overall room was dark and dingy. Covering on one of the beds was stained as well. One of the lamps had a burned out bulb and the light in the tiny, tiny bathroom was extremely dim!! I would not let my children take their shoes off!! Within 15 mins I was on the phone trying to find somewhere else. Luckily we did find a HI Express about 10 mins away!!! We loaded up car and moved!!!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank cad815
Hershey950, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Harrisburg Hershey, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
I cannot apologize enough for the issues you had with your stay. Please understand that this situation is not normal as we take great pride in our rooms. I have looked into these issues and have addressed them accordingly. I have had all carpets cleaned in every room by a professional carpet cleaning company. I do also apologize for the flies in your room, in the middle of summer with as much humidity as we have had we do have an influx of outside bugs. Luckily we were able to accommodate a first floor room for you and as all first floor rooms are outside access, any time the door is opened there is a possibility that a pesky bug may enter that room. I am following up with this with a pest elimination company. I can assure you that your next stay with us will be pleasant for you and your family.
Philly Suburbs
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

First let me say all hotels within 20 minutes of HersheyPark are way overpriced. The further away the better the deal but in Hershey they are outrageous!! Knowing this I will not stay at my preferred brand Hilton (Hampton Inn) which is close to the park or near here. I'm only 2 hours from the park but just don't want to drive home after a long day or spend $200.00 to sleep. That said I look for reasonably priced lodging in the area. This time I tried this hotel and was pleased with the accommodations. Rooms are very basic, low on amenities but clean and my room had a fridge and microwave. My only complaint was with the clientele staying at the hotel. Lower priced accommodations attract a different type of traveller than a Hampton Inn. There were groups of individuals sitting outside their room on the desk chairs drinking beer, cooking on a grill in their flat bed pickup till close to midnite. Not what I want to see coming and going from my room. When checking out Emily the desk clerk who was very polite explained that this location gets a lot of construction workers for long stays. And as she said she has no control over the type of guests who choose the hotel. In the end for a brief stay this hotel is fine but for more than two nights I would stay elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank septaleon
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

The staff at the Harrisburg Hershey is great -- special "shout out" to Polly and Domm whom I 've tried hard to make crazy but keep responding with patient smiles. My schedule is subject to change and they happily change my reservations.

The free wifi is nice, too.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business