“Just awful...deeply regret not staying at the Ramada. ”

Red Roof Inn Harrisburg Hershey
Ranked #25 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Sunnyvale, California
“Just awful...deeply regret not staying at the Ramada. ”
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

My fiancee and I checked in here on 4/18/14 & upon checking in we saw the TV screen stated "rated #1 in Harrisburg by Travel sites!" It also falsely advertised this hotel had been renovated. We booked a double room but they put us in a king(which was not renovated). we came into our room, dropped our bags amd met friends for dinner and a late movie. upon our return, when I needed a shower, I realized our room had hardly been cleaned. There was still used soap and and an empty conditioner bottle in the shower, as well as hair, and the toilet had not been cleaned. The floor was sticky, and our bed sheets had hair all over them. I called the front desk and immediately made them aware of the condition of our room, I even politely asked them if someone could please clean our bathroom the next day. They apologized and said it'd be taken care of. The next day, we returned from purchasing a new vehicle only to find our room hadn't been touched. I hand wiped the toilet seat myself, dealt with the dirty shower, I mopped the floor with a wash cloth and lint rolled the sheets. We will not be staying at a red roof ever again. I deeply regret not booking the Ramada as usual.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank MishiaMarie
Hershey950, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Harrisburg Hershey, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Good morning and thank you for letting me know about this situation. I cannot apologize enough for the less than positive experience you and your fiancé had during your stay. Rest assured that what you experienced is NOT a normal practice here and I will be looking into this matter to assure this does not happen again! The renovations done to my hotel were in fact completed to include new flat screen TV's, new carpet, new beds and a fantastic new 44 channel line up. I strongly encourage you to allow me the opportunity to show you what this hotel can offer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Lynn, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We had booked a room for 4/9/14 for an overnight stay. When we arrived an elderly lady was trying to check-in. The person behind the desk was named Molly as I recall. She was telling this elderly lady that they don't hold specific rooms, its on a first come first serve basis, even thought the lady was severly handicapped. She was told there was no ground floor unit to be had. The elderly lady protested that she had made the booking 1 month earlier. She was told quite rudely nothing could be done. At this time her husband came in telling her that he had found alternative accommodations that suited their needs and they left. As I started to check-in, I noticed several invoices behind the counter with ground floor room numbers attached. Apparently, they were being held for the guests that had not arrived . I asked the person behind counter why the rooms were being held when their policy was on a first come basis. She replied that it was her manager's decision and to take it up with him/her . The lady behind the counter in my opinion was rude and not in control of the situation. Because my wife is handicapped we had also requested a first floor room but she insisted that we could only have a second floor room. We subsequently cancelled our booking and left. We found a lovely hotel right around the corner.

Andy. Massacussetts

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Good morning and I apologize for the confusion surrounding this matter. The weekend that we are speaking about was a sold out weekend because of one of Harrisburg's fantastic canine events and Red Roof cannot guarantee a first floor room (unless it is an ADA accessible room). This is why anytime you book the question is posed as a "request" and not a guarantee. We of course will try to accommodate when we are able to but with events like these in town almost every guest requests a first floor room which is why you heard the response "first come first serve". I cannot express how apologetic I am but the registration cards you saw behind the counter were for guests that came in early in the day to check in and guests that were already here re-registering. What I would suggest if possible when making a reservation is to call the inn directly if requesting a first floor room, and inquire if an ADA accessible room or a standard king room is available which is the only way to guarantee a first floor room (as we only have these on the first floor).
Augusta, Maine
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I was towing a 12 ft U-haul trailer and parked parallel to my ground floor room. I was awakened at midnight by an irate guy blowing his horn and screaming that the desk girl said that she could not do anything. I opened my curtain and he came running, threatening to move my van & trailer himself. It was below zero and I informed him I would move. I drove to the office and the girl(very polite & professional) said that there was no parking at motel but I could park in a vacant lot way across the street. I did but worried about it all night. The snow banks had nothing to do with the parking problem. Quite simply....no provisions for anything other than a passenger car or pickup. My room was obviously a smoking room also. I had reserved a non smoking. My whole experience was not typical of many other Red Roofs I have stayed at. Definitely would not recommend this one for anyone towing anything.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Beds are very comfortable, rooms are clean, staff is very friendly and eager to accomodate guests. Donn, Donna, and Brian are great! If you are ever in the Harrisburg/Hershey area, stay at this hotel!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I absolutely love the red roof inn, harrisburg. The manager Brian does a really great job, along with Donna, Donn, and Pollly. The room was nice and clean when we got in it and has been cleaned everyday ever since. The housekeepers do a great job. I will not be staying any where else but here for now on!

• Stayed March 2014
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Very pleased with my stay here. Promo was immaculate and they had thought of the little things that make a traveller's stay a bit easier. For example, in this day and age, who doesn't travel with at least a few bits of electronics that need charging overnight ? I even travel with an extension cord in my bad so that I can have plugs by the bedside table. What this location has done is provide three outlets right beside the bed mounted under the bedside table but flush with it for easy access. A small thing but goes to show that they are thinking about their guest's experience.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Donna is great. I had a few issues and she resolved it quickly and to my satisfaction. The room was clean and in good condition. Always a good deal, location is great. Donna is very helpful when deciding on where to eat and the nite life. Thank you for a job well done.

Mike Morrison

Room Tip: Stay in the very back, it is not as busy.