“A most unrestful stay...”

Red Roof Inn Harrisburg Hershey
Ranked #26 of 51 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed July 8, 2013

After months and months of trying to find a decent and reasonable overnight booking for our One Direction Weekend at Hershey, I decided to reserve at this Inn. I always go by other travelers ratings and not so much after the hotels "name", especially if I'm on a budget. I mean, if I'm spending $130 a night, I expect a bit more than a 1-2 star "feel" and ambiance!

Checking in was swift; the front desk was clear in explaining extra fees for the safe and directions to where the room was < this place has 2 buildings, one is behind the other and is not visible from the main road> Our room was in the back, it smelled of old carpeting and when I inspected the bed sheets we saw hair strands on the pillow. There was a small fruit fly in the room buzzing around and I assumed it came in as we opened the door. The bathroom was clean but the corners of the tub had some mildew and the flush was not strong enough that you had to flush twice. Shower had decent water pressure and air conditioning was working good. Room had a microwave and mini fridge. No coffee maker or hair dryer. Safety box is $1.50/night added automatically to your total. Unless you specify at check-out that you did not use the safe, it will be in the balance.

The place is a good distance from Hershey Park and around it were many dining options next to it such as Dominos, Bob Evans and Capitol Diner. The Wyndham Garden Inn and Sheraton were adjacent to this motel and I fully regret not making a reservation at either of these two establishments-- given the rates were not that far apart! <what was I thinking ?!?!!>

Heading back to the motel from the 1D concert, we opened the door for me to find another critter on the pillow; gray, flat, and 3 pairs of legs! Ewwwww! I couldn't sleep all night since the room felt completely filthy! I am so embarrassed since I wanted my daughter (and her girl pal ) to have an awesome and memorable 1D weekend, instead they felt disgusted with where we were staying :(

Lesson learned...never EVER book at this place again. Despite how other trip advisors rate a 3 star hotel badly, I think for places like the Sheraton or Wyndham, who try to uphold their name/status to a certain level, they won't ever let their facility become as unsatisfactory as this.

The rate for this place was overpriced for the quality you get.

Room Tip: Don't ever settle for the room behind the first bldg. make sure you ask exactlty what room you w...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank daytripper107

Reviewed June 26, 2013

This was by far one of the worst hotel rooms I've ever stayed in. They say you get what you pay for.... I sure did..... The hotel is dated and just seems dirty. From the check in counter to the room itself. I found Q-tips on the floor and to my surprise when moved the telephone, I found Marijuana. The bed was very uncomfortable. I felt like I was laying lopsided in the bed. The bath tub faucet dripped all night and the plumbing made noises off and on all night. During the night, there were people in the parking lot screaming and laughing loudly. The "easy" chair in the corner was cheap looking vinyl with looked like knife slits. I do not recommend this hotel to anyone. I don't even consider the property to be safe. I saw several sketchy looking people hanging around during the afternoon/evening. I will never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank onanoak
Hershey950, Manager at Red Roof Inn Harrisburg Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Quality and security are paramount at Red Roof Inn. Please allow me to apologize. It does sound as though we fell short during your stay. I can assure you, this is not typical and I will share this information with my staff as well as address any deficiencies. We recently renovated all of our rooms with; new carpet, bedding, flat screen televisions, and chairs. I will personally inspect your room to ensure that any issues have been addressed.

Again, thank you for this valuable feedback. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with service and quality that we are known for, and that you deserve the next time you are in Harrisburg.

Red Roof Inn Management

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We arrived late from the airport and wanted an inexpensive stay for the night. Best Western was over $100, more than I wanted to spend, and I ended up regretting it as this godawful Red Roof Inn was $80 (but only worth $50 at best). But we were exhausted, so in we went.
Got a room on the 2nd floor, facing the back. No security on door leading to upstairs rooms, which felt very unsafe and somewhat creepy. You can tell they've tried to update this motel, but it still feels like a creepy old highway motel.
The signs declare the motel to be smoke-free, but clearly this is a recent change as the stench of cigarette smoke is permeated in the floors, walls....it's an awful smell that never fades. Beds are hard and bouncy, bedding updated but cheap. Limited tv stations. Bathroom is claustrophobic!!! Definitely only room for 1 person at a time. They put in imitation hardwood-looking floors, which would be nice if the bathroom wasn't the size of a closet. A tiny closet.
Also, there are NO HAIRDRYERS in the room...something I did not know until I tried to use it in the morning after my shower. Apparently you had to sign them out from the desk, but when we checked they were all gone - and they didn't have any returned until 10 am!!! As if I was going to wait around for an available hair dryer?? Ridiculous.
There was coffee in the office, and the staff was nice, but that's not enough to warrant $80 for this motel.
Yuck!!!

Room Tip: Don't believe there are any good rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank NorthernMNfamily
Hershey950, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Harrisburg Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Harrisburg - Hershey Red Roof. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please accept my sincerest apologies for your inconveniences. Rest assured that this is a very safe location so security for second floor access has never been an issue.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Stayed here one night to see The Elegance at Hershey car show. This property was just outside the zone where hotels were full or crazy-expensive due to the event. However, it is still a reasonably short drive to Hershey. It is also convenient to the Turnpike and to downtown Harrisburg.

This property is an interesting design I have not seen before in a Red Roof or elsewhere. The first floor rooms have outside entrances but the second floor rooms face an internal corridor. Our room was on the second floor which we appreciated.

The beds were quite comfortable -- in fact, better than a supposedly higher grade hotel I had stayed in the previous two nights in another town. The room was also quiet. I noticed when I went out into the hall I could hear the TV was on in the next room, but you could not hear it at all inside our room. The bathroom was small but serviceable.

My only complaint is that the TV has limited channel selection. For example, while driving to the hotel I was listening to the Phillies game on the car radio. I was surprised not to be able to find it on the TV at all.

I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you want a room with an inside entrance, ask for a second floor room. However, I do not think th...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Frank P

Thank you for taking the time to complete our guest survey. I appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Harrisburg - Hershey Red Roof.

Red Roof Inn - Harrisburg - Hershey

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We recently stayed at the Red Roof Inn in Harrisburg PA for a quick Memorial Day weekend family getaway to Hershey Park Amusement Park. Typically our family stays in mid-range hotels such as Holiday Inn or Homewood Suites but we decided to give Red Roof a try since they were the most reasonably priced in the area. Overall the outside appearance of the hotel is OK, not great but not horrible either......just OK. We were on the 2nd floor of the back building and immediately my wife felt unsafe due to the fact that none of the entry doors to the building upstairs had any locks on them which we felt would allow non-customers the ability to enter the building "after hours". Not a deal breaker but at least worth mentioning since this isn't the norm anymore. As far as the actual room, they claim that they are all newly renovated which I'd say they "may be" but they simply cannot get rid of the old smell which must be trapped in the rugs, walls, ceilings????? Not sure but the hotel smelled old if that's possible. As for the decor, again it seems like it may be renovated but it was apparent that they did it on an extremely tight budget as the rooms seem very bland with next to nothing on the walls and all of the furniture is basic 1 color vinyl. Nothing elaborate, very boring actually. Beds - OK.....firm but did get a decent night sleep. Bathroom - shower was decent but the toilet was like playing roulette.......you never knew how many flushes it would take until it decided to flush. Was it 2, or 3 or even 6 - we had fun with this game especially with 4 people sharing the room. Also I'd look elsewhere if you have 4 people or 2 adults and 2 kids in our case. The bathroom has the sink / mirror ect unlike the pictures where it is outside of the bathroom. This made getting ready very difficult as only 1 person could get ready since everything was in the bathroom vs the sink being outside in the room like in the pictures provided. Housekeeping - we're still really unsure if they have housekeeping. While we left for the day my wife decided to pull the comforter to the top of one bed while leaving the other bed unmade. When we came back later that evening the one bed was made but the other bed still had the comforter pulled up the same way we left it. Then all of the pillows were literally thrown on one bed as the other had none. We found 2 empty pillow cases on the desk for some reason and they were generous enough to leave us 2 towels for the next day. Not sure if the housekeeper's shift ended mid-cleaning our room but the hair which was left in the sink was a good sign that they had no intention of coming back.

Over all I guess you get what you pay for and if you're looking for a mediocre hotel at a decent price in the area then this may be your place. Personally I'd suggest spending and extra $30 a night since there are about 6-8 more mid-tier hotels in the same area which I'm certain would have better suited our taste.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Hershey950, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Harrisburg Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Thank you for writing a response regarding your stay. We appreciate your feedback and want you to know that we are in the process of re-evaluating and addressing all areas of opportunity that are presented to us. We strongly encourage you to give us another try when you are in the area.
We would love to have you back to impress...impress....impress.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Some things aren't as good as the first. But, that definitely isn't the case here! Bryan, Donna and Donn at the front desk do everything to ensure that my stay was enjoyable and are always professional. If people would be considerate and not litter, which the staff takes care of, the cleanliness would be like the other scores. I really enjoyed my stay here and this is one of favorite places to stay outside of home!

• Stayed: May 2013

Thank you very much for your kind words. We are pleased that we were able to happily accomodate all of your needs as we continually strive to better serve all of our guests.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed for a night at this hotel, in one of the new standard king rooms. Looked exactly like the picture. The clerk at check in was very friendly and efficient. The room and bedding were clean. Everything was very nice, good value for the price!

• Stayed: May 2013