“Extreme Disappointment”

Ranked #37 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
“Extreme Disappointment”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

After a wonderful experience at another Red Roof Inn (Denver, PA), we were highly disappointed. The young man at the front desk was rude and short with me when I asked why the price was different that my confirmation. He told me to initial then he would explain. Sorry, but I don't sign anything without an explanation! Our room was at the top of the stairs, so unfortunately we heard everyone coming and going. The room was cold with laminate flooring and sparse furniture. Not a "homey" feel at all. It would have been nice to have a comfy chair instead of having to sit on the beds. Forget the Wi-fi...I kept getting kicked off. There was no ice in the ice machine and we had no refrigerator which was inconvenient since we were staying more than one night. The bathroom was small and had no hair dryer. When I made the reservation, I thought there was a continental breakfast, but that was not the case. Parking was limited and not very well lit. When we went to check out, I tried handing my room keys to the front desk clerk. She pointed to a box on the counter and said, "In the box." I put the keys in the box but held onto the envelope. "The envelope, too!" she snapped. Needless to say, this was our first and LAST visit to this location.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kbbear3
Joanna Martin _, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Harrisburg North, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Thank you for writing a review of our property. I am sorry to hear about the issues you experienced during your stay with us. We try very hard to exceed our guest's expectations and unfortunately in your case, we failed. Thank you for your feedback so that we can address the issues that you encountered during your stay. Please give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations on your next visit to the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Indonesian first
Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I came to,this Red Roof at a last minute decision and I was very pleasantly surprised. I have dogs and there we plenty of places to walk them. it is off the main road (kind of hard to find the first time) and very clean and quiet. Although all rooms are non smoking, sooooo many smokers smoke outside the rooms.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our Inn. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We will be looking forward to seeing you on your next visit to Harrisburg.
Nyack
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed at a Red Roof in Aberdeen and now here. The prices are very reasonable. You just have to bring an iron and a hairdryer. But I knew that so no big deal....The room was clean, bed was comfortable... They don't carpet the room which is great be

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am glad to hear that you felt our prices were reasonable. I am also happy that your room was clean and that the bed was comfortable. Thank you again. Please come back and see us on your next visit to the Harrisburg area!
Reading, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Fresh, Clean, great value room. Dally at the desk, and the housekeepers are all very friendly and have made me feel welcomed each time. I have stayed here about five times now. Wooden floors are great, and the linens always seem like they're brand new. Highly recommended. Be sure to use your AAA card for a discount!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Joanna Martin _, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Harrisburg North, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am so glad that you like our recent renovations. I will also be sure to pass on your kind words to the staff. Thank you again for writing a review of our Inn. We look forward to seeing you again in the future!
Galena, Ohio, United States
Reviewed August 19, 2013

The room had so much desk space, it was too much. Would have been nice to have a recliner. The room was recently updated and was very nice. Had a frig and microwave. There weren't many restaurants around. We would definitely stay at another Red Roof, we will probably pick another location next time for this area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Joanna Martin _, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Harrisburg North, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for writing a review of our property. We appreciate your feedback regarding our rooms. Our King Superior rooms do have large desks in them, but we offer other room types as well. I am so glad that you liked the recent renovation we underwent. We do not have many restaurants within walking distance, but there are several restaurants in our area. Once again, thank you for taking the time to write a review of our Inn.
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Reviewed August 19, 2013

With the spread of franchising, Red Roofs can be iffy. (E.g. the one in Denver, PA, south of Reading--gag!)

But this one, Harrisburg North, is excellent: recently upgraded rooms, furniture, fixtures, new towels, etc., and a staff that is top-grade professional: prompt, courteous, helpful, cheerful (especially counter clerk Beth). An easy stop and find off of I-81, this hotel is clean, fresh, a pleasant and comfortable place to stay.

Room Tip: If stairs are a problem, request first-floor--there is no elevator.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am happy to hear that you liked our newly renovated rooms. Thank you for your kind words about our staff. I will be sure to let Beth know that you mentioned her specifically for her outstanding customer service. I want to thank you again for your review. Come see us again next time you are in the Harrisburg area!
Ithaca, NY
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Very impressed with this hotel. Newly renovated rooms with modern fixtures and a clean design. Excellent value. We stayed here while visiting Hershey park...the travel there was short (15 minutes or so) which was well worth the money we saved by staying outside Hershey. Highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review. I am so glad to hear that you liked our newly renovated rooms. Hershey Park is only a short 13 miles from our property! So I would like to thank you once again for taking the time to write a review of our Inn. We are looking forward to seeing you on your next visit to the area.