“Pleasantly Surprised”

Red Roof Inn Harrisburg North
Ranked #37 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stayed here for a long weekend, both business & pleasure. The hotel is close to everything and very convenient. We had 2 king rooms on the second floor that had fridges & microwaves. They were very nice and clean. However, one of our rooms smelled like smoke. Sickening smoke. It was worse in the bathroom when the fan turned on. I told the lady at the front desk and she offered to give us another room, but we wanted two rooms next to each other, so we decided to keep it. The cleaning staff was very nice. I asked the cleaning lady if she could spray the smoky room with something and she said she would. It didn't help. Other than the smoke room, the beds were extremely comfortable and overall the rooms were fine.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor are very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Joanna Martin _, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Harrisburg North, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am glad to hear that you found our Inn conveniently located. I am also very pleased to hear that you felt that the rooms were nice and clean. I am sorry that one of your rooms had a smoke odor. We did clean all of the air conditioning units as well as the bathroom fans when we converted to nonsmoking. We will have to go back and do another thorough cleaning. Thank you for your kind words about our cleaning staff. They try very hard to ensure that they exceed the guest's expectations! Thank you once again for writing a review. Please come back and see us next time you are in the Harrisburg area!

There are newer reviews for Red Roof Inn Harrisburg North

Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed at this hotel with 3 teenage boys for a baseball tournament. The rooms we had were very clean, comfortable (1 king and 1 double) and newly renovated. The king room had a fridge and microwave, which worked out great for us. The housekeeping staff was exceptionally friendly and made our stay even more enjoyable. The exterior is a bit shabby, but for the money and the quality of the interior, we easily overlooked that. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Joanna Martin _, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Harrisburg North, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Thank you very much for your kind review. I am very glad to hear that you liked our newly renovated rooms! I will be sure to share your compliments with the housekeeping staff. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to the Harrisburg area. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review of our property

Reviewed August 3, 2013

First time at hotel, pulled in, landscape was nice flowers looked good, but back on hotel looked bad, tree stumps bldg.looked worn, parking lots needs new surface. Entered lobby. attendant working had the worst case of body odor. I was offended. He looked like he hasn't showered in a long time. Room was basic, bed were good, Sleep quality was really good Shower was the best!! Water pressure was great! didnt like hidden taxes on the bill. Safe tax.? Why a safe tax and misc. tax for what? wont return to this location due to hidden fees beware!!

Room Tip: first floor towards the back of hotel
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Joanna Martin _, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Harrisburg North, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I apologize that you felt that the back of the hotel looked bad. We are currently in the process of having the tree stumps removed and having new trees planted in the beds. Our hotel was just renovated on the inside and outside, so I am surprised that you felt that the building looked worn. In regards to the safe tax, when you stay at a Red Roof, we provide a safe within your room for your personal use. If you do not use the safe during your stay, if you let us know, we will remove this fee at check out. We do not ask upon check in so that we do not violate your privacy. There is a notice on the registration card that we have you initial that explains this process. Thank you once again for writing a review of our Inn.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I stayed at this hotel (and Red Roof for the first time) this past weekend, and although they advertise as non-smoking, they mean "now". This hotel used to allow smoking, but have since renovated and made the whole place non-smoking. They did a great job - new flooring, paint, furniture, etc..., but they didn't replace the fans in the bathroom or the A/C unit in the room. I checked in, and the room seemed great. I ran to Hershey for a concert, came back, and went straight to bed. I woke up in the middle of the night, to use the bathroom, and the room stunk. I went to the bathroom and flipped on the light/fan and within minutes the bathroom stunk too. The fan units were never replaced, so they were blowing old cigarette odor all over the room.

Luckily it was a dull odor, and I could get through my 2 days without a migraine, but it was really annoying and had I been staying any longer, I would have left to find another hotel.

If you're going to do something, do it right. The fact that they went through all that renovating, but never replaced the fan units, none of the rooms will ever be smoke-free.

Needless to say, I will never be staying at this hotel or any Red Roof Inn again.

Room Tip: if you really want a smoke-free room, ask for a room that has always been smoke-free.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for writing a review of our property. I apologize that your room had a smokey odor to it. When we went through our renovations, we did clean every bathroom fan and air conditioning unit, so it is surprising to hear that your room had an odor. Thank you for making us aware of the situation. We will go back and reclean the units to ensure that this problem isn't ongoing. Thank you again for writing a review of our property.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

After a whole day of the park and a concert at night at Hershey, we arrived here at around 1:40am with no hostility, but just welcome arms and a clean room. It had plenty of space, comfortable beds, and was very clean. Also a very easy drive from Hershey- did not mind the 15 minutes or so out of the way. Would definitely recommend this to anyone!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Joanna Martin _, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Harrisburg North, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

I would like to thank you for taking the time and writing a very nice review of our property. I am glad that you felt that we welcomed you with open arms. We strive to ensure that our customer service exceeds our guests expectations. I am glad that you found your room clean and the new beds comfortable. We take our cleaniless just as serious as our customer service. Once again, thank you for your kind review and we look forward to seeing you next time you are in the Harrisburg area!

Reviewed July 5, 2013

I've stayed at this Red Roof before they renovated, it was pleasant then as it is now! Staff is great and knowledgeable, Dally has been there for years, she's great! I love their new look, it is very modern and inviting. The room is huge, beds are comfortable and clean, they could use more pillows. It has a refrigerator and a microwave, great for storing water when it's hot outside. Vanity is spacious to store all your toiletries, the only downside is; bathrooms are small, but that's not a big deal. Many restaurants and shopping plazas nearby, downtown is only 10-15 minutes away, and even though it is right off the two major interstates (81 & 83) it is not as loud as you would think it would be. Overall, great hotel for the cost!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank BeautifulSoul07
Joanna Martin _, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Harrisburg North, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

I would like to thank you for your kind review. We have a great staff here and I am glad that it shows to our guests. I am so glad to hear that you like our newly renovated rooms! I agree that they look very inviting. We are conveniently located near many restaurants and shopping plazas, as you stated in your review, which makes it very easy for our guests to get to where they need to go. Once again, thank you for your kind words and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to the Harrisburg area!

Reviewed June 30, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at this Red Roof Inn just last week with our dog. (We were attending an event at the Farm Show Complex which was only a few short minutes away) The room was clean and nicely decorated. We had a flat screen TV, a small fridge, microwave and safe in room. I was pleasantly surprised to find vinyl wood flooring with area rugs. Our first night we called Michael at the front desk looking for a restaurant for dinner. He was pleasant and very knowledgeable of the area. The next day the housekeeping staff came to the room, again very friendly and accommodating. I have this inn on my favorites list at home for my next visit to the area. I highly recommend you stay at this Red Roof Inn.

Room Tip: If you are coming to the Harrisburg area for any reason, you will not go wrong choosing this Inn.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Shirley H
Joanna Martin _, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Harrisburg North, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Thank you very much for your kind review. We are very close to the Farm Show Complex as well as other area attractions. I am glad to hear that your room was clean and that you enjoyed the newly renovated rooms. We work very hard to make sure that we exceed our guest's expectations. I will share your kind words with Michael. I am glad to hear that we are on your favorites list and I look forward to seeing you next time you stay with us!