“Filthy. Couldn't pay me to stay at this hotel!”

Sheraton Harrisburg-Hershey
Ranked #26 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed August 24, 2009

Booked this hotel with Priceline for a good rate but I wouldn't recommend this hotel at any price. The Lobby of the hotel is nice enough but once you walk through the doors into the dark dingy hallways things just get worse. The hallways were dark, humid, unaircondioned with bugs flying around the lights. The hotel room was very dark when we entered and was a decent size room however when we turned on the lights we saw candy wrappers in the corner, toe nail clippings on the floor and hair in the bed. The front desk sent us to another room which was just about as dirty as the first. We went to see a third room which also happened to have hair in the bedding and an awful smell. The housekeeping staff was rude and tried to put "new" even dirtier sheets on the bed. We decided to check out immediately and stay at the crown plaza where the staff is incredibly nice, the bedding is actually washed and the rooms are extremely clean. Do not stay at the Sheraton Harrisburg!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EMRTHYEBE

Reviewed August 20, 2009

Visited Hershey Park, stayed 2 nights (too long). Arrived at the hotel at 11am to check bags, was advised by the front desk that the room will be available for 3pm. We left for the park and returned at 6:30pm in order to shower and make our dinner reservation.

Unbelievable as it sounds... our room was still not ready and we were not able to access our room until 7:30pm that evening!!! The room itself was gross.. there was a century’s worth of dust between the rug and molding, the bed was very uncomfortable and best of all, the safe in the room was not in service. As for the pool, another disappointment, the water was murky and to my surprise they were actually letting people swim in it. Also it appers that they do not spring for A/C in the hallways as they were hot and stagnant. The bottom line... "You get what you pay for"

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank reese2112
Reviewed August 20, 2009

Had a one night stay in July while traveling. Great front desk staff. Room decor was 'dated' or slightly rundown. Room seemed clean enough, but desk lights and tv didn't work. Someone had unplugged the octopus of electrical plugs behind the desk, and maintenance had to be called. Seems like housekeeping would have spotted this during their cleaning process. One call and it was quickly fixed. Pool area was LOUD, so the very loud a/c unit was appreciated to drown out the pool noise. Were considering breakfast there the next morning, but no literature or info in the room about the dining options, so we didn't bother.
Great location, several restaurants very nearby. Overall, an okay place to stay, but not up the usual expectations that come with the Sheraton namebrand.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 19, 2009

Upside - the hotel has a pool that is half-inside, half-outside, which delights the kid who can swim back and forth from sectin to section.

My 3rd floor room was OK, clean enough. However, there was a slight smell of smoke which seemed to be covered up by air fresheners. The worst things were the beds - they are SO uncomfortable, really cheap mattresses. Clean though, just cheap.

The staff was very friendly and helpful and the business center was conveniently located. Good gym, decent pub in the hotel (though expensive). 9 year old daughter loved it for the pool.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
chadhamp, manager at Sheraton Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2009

Our hotel would like to thank you for staying with us and hope you enjoyed your vacation.
The pool is a relaxing and refreshing end to a great day and I'm glad you experienced our wonderful restaurant and lounge. We are a non-smoking hotel but unfortunately that doesn't always hinder smokers from lighting up in the rooms. Thank you for the review and look forward to your visit in the future.

Reviewed August 18, 2009

On our way to attend my niece wedding and our return trip, we stopped at this hotel. The first night, we stayed in a room on the basement floor (where the swimming pool and exercise room are located). The room had bad smell and the bed wasn't comfortable. I do believe that we got this room because we booked the hotel via Hotwire. Sheraton may not give good rooms to those who booked the hotel from Hotwire or Priceline. We didn't use the swimming pool because we didn't feel comfortable (the pool water didn't look clean to me likely because there were many kids in the pool).

I did like the business center located near the reception desk and the access to their computer and Internet is free. However, there were too many kids using the computers and we had trouble finding an available PC. I think the hotel should limit the time for each user. The area was kind of noisy too.

After we attended the wedding, we came back to this hotel on our way home (got this hotel from Hotwire again). This time, we got a room on the 5th floor. Same setup, but the beds were more comfortable.

This hotel is okay. Since I paid the Hotwire rate, I won't complain. However, if I pay the hotel's website rate, I would rather stay at other 3-star hotel since this hotel does not live up to Sheraton's name at all.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank BH1577409
chadhamp, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2009

Thank you for writing a review and I appreciate your honesty. Our business center is available to all of our guests and in the summertime it does tend to fill up with families and children. We do have a time limit of 45 minutes for each session to help alleviate what you spoke of. Our blocking of rooms is based on requests and Starwood status and not based on if you are a hotwire or priceline guest.

Reviewed August 8, 2009

My husband and I took our 2 daughters, 10 and 12 on vacation to PA in order to visit Hershey Park and Chocolate World. We found this hotel to be very reasonably priced rather than the Hershey hotels so that is why we chose to stay there. It was a short distance to Hershey Park, shopping malls and several restaurants. It was always very quiet, rooms and hotel were clean and the staff was very courteous. We did not eat at the hotel since we were out most of the time so I do not know about the food quality. The kids enjoyed the indoor/outdoor pool, however, it could have been a little cleaner. We would stay there again if we ever go back to Hershey, PA.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2009

Let me start out by saying that we were suppose to stay a week and lasted one night.

The check in process was quick and efficient.

As we proceeded to our room, I quickly noticed that the hallways were not air conditioned, they were SO hot and were FILTHY!

I got a bit concerned at this point, but still remained positive that the room would be perfect. We arrived and turned on the air conditioner right away. It sounded like we had just started a chainsaw!!!!! Then we proceeded to sit on the bed which was so old, it had NO support and also had an awful smell.

We left the hotel for dinner and came back to discover people had arrived at the room next to us and we could hear their everyword....not to mention when they flushed their toilet, the noise in our room was UNBEARABLE.

Needless to day we stayed for one night and got the heck out of there. This hotel does not live up to the Sheraton name at all!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple