“Does not live up to the Sheraton name at all”

Sheraton Harrisburg-Hershey
Ranked #22 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Ottawa
“Does not live up to the Sheraton name at all”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2009

On our way to attend my niece wedding and our return trip, we stopped at this hotel. The first night, we stayed in a room on the basement floor (where the swimming pool and exercise room are located). The room had bad smell and the bed wasn't comfortable. I do believe that we got this room because we booked the hotel via Hotwire. Sheraton may not give good rooms to those who booked the hotel from Hotwire or Priceline. We didn't use the swimming pool because we didn't feel comfortable (the pool water didn't look clean to me likely because there were many kids in the pool).

I did like the business center located near the reception desk and the access to their computer and Internet is free. However, there were too many kids using the computers and we had trouble finding an available PC. I think the hotel should limit the time for each user. The area was kind of noisy too.

After we attended the wedding, we came back to this hotel on our way home (got this hotel from Hotwire again). This time, we got a room on the 5th floor. Same setup, but the beds were more comfortable.

This hotel is okay. Since I paid the Hotwire rate, I won't complain. However, if I pay the hotel's website rate, I would rather stay at other 3-star hotel since this hotel does not live up to Sheraton's name at all.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank BH1577409
chadhamp, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this review, August 20, 2009
Thank you for writing a review and I appreciate your honesty. Our business center is available to all of our guests and in the summertime it does tend to fill up with families and children. We do have a time limit of 45 minutes for each session to help alleviate what you spoke of. Our blocking of rooms is based on requests and Starwood status and not based on if you are a hotwire or priceline guest.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2009

My husband and I took our 2 daughters, 10 and 12 on vacation to PA in order to visit Hershey Park and Chocolate World. We found this hotel to be very reasonably priced rather than the Hershey hotels so that is why we chose to stay there. It was a short distance to Hershey Park, shopping malls and several restaurants. It was always very quiet, rooms and hotel were clean and the staff was very courteous. We did not eat at the hotel since we were out most of the time so I do not know about the food quality. The kids enjoyed the indoor/outdoor pool, however, it could have been a little cleaner. We would stay there again if we ever go back to Hershey, PA.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2009

Let me start out by saying that we were suppose to stay a week and lasted one night.

The check in process was quick and efficient.

As we proceeded to our room, I quickly noticed that the hallways were not air conditioned, they were SO hot and were FILTHY!

I got a bit concerned at this point, but still remained positive that the room would be perfect. We arrived and turned on the air conditioner right away. It sounded like we had just started a chainsaw!!!!! Then we proceeded to sit on the bed which was so old, it had NO support and also had an awful smell.

We left the hotel for dinner and came back to discover people had arrived at the room next to us and we could hear their everyword....not to mention when they flushed their toilet, the noise in our room was UNBEARABLE.

Needless to day we stayed for one night and got the heck out of there. This hotel does not live up to the Sheraton name at all!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank love2vacationCanada
Philadelphia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2009

Daugthers birthday weekend getaway with friends. I had must haves - an atrium and an indoor swimming pool. This Sheraton had both.

Requested a poolside room and microwave. Called the day of to confirm. Got to the hotel and no microwave. Maintenance arrived with the microwave he placed it on the floor next to the desk. That is right - he placed it on the floor!! I was shocked and quickly made plans to move it up to the desk but soon realized he didn’t put it on the desk because it has such a short cord that it would not reach to the outlet. So I called down to the front desk and asked if they had extension cords and they said no. We went out to the store and purchased a heavy-duty extension cord so the microwave would not be on the floor. I was not going to pay $10.00 a day for a microwave on the floor!

So the girls went swimming called it an early night as we had a busy day planned for Hershey World in the morning. We sat out in the atrium and were talking to a couple in the room next to us whom we just meet and also had children. At 11:00 pm an employee came and announced it was lights out and time for bed. We chuckled and thought he was joking – but he wasn’t and told us it was time for us to return to our rooms! I have never been to a hotel that closes the atrium and sends guess to their rooms! We were very quiet as the kids were sleeping and so there was no reason to ask us to go into our rooms! Once inside we were locked in for the night! Once again I was never in a hotel that locks you in your room either!

While the beds were wonderful and definitely up to Sheraton quality the climate control was unbearable! It got warmer and warmer as the night went on. We kept getting up to adjust the air condition but it didn’t seem to help and by morning we had it set on 60 degrees and the girls complained that it was so hot.

So we got up and dressed and headed to Hershey. We stopped at the desk first and asked if they could check the AC

We returned and found that we were once again in lock down – the door to the pool was locked. And the room was still toasty. I called down to the desk and was told the pool was closed due to a chemical imbalance and they would send someone up to turn on the AC. Turn on the AC? Yes, you heard me right – apparently it was so hot because we couldn’t turn on the AC and we were getting all the heat from the pool area. No wonder when we turned it to 60 degrees we still didn’t get relief. I should have called down that night but didn’t! The maintenance man said they don’t turn the AC on till May!! Once again I have never been in a hotel that didn’t let you have climate control!

So we decided to go to the gym since there was nothing else to do – there was no one in the gym yet our friendly employee found us and told us the girls were not allowed in the gym. Why? I don’t really know as I was there and they were more they capable of riding a bike and running on a treadmill. But we left without a fuss.

Anyway, I said lets go check out that nice lobby and decide what we are doing for the evening. We went to the lobby and apparently this hotel rents out the lobby for private parties, as there were people everywhere dressed up and walking around with drinks in their hands. Definitely not a place for young ladies so… I ushered them back to the room once again. I knew I had to do something with them so I told them out and we ended up finding a Chucky Cheese where I spent about $80 on games and entertainment!

We awoke the next morning much cooler and this was suppose to be the day to chill out at the hotel and enjoy the pool till we checked out. Well a call down to the desk revealed the pool would be closed till at least Tuesday. So with no hope of the pool opening at all we packed up and left and went back to see more Hershey attractions and spend more money! Once again I was very surprised that even though the pool was closed that the whole atrium had to be closed as well. There was tables and chairs out there that people could have been able to sit and enjoy and looked very inviting – if only we could have gotten to them! I would have sat and read a book and the girls would have sat at the table and played cards instead we were forced to stay in our room or leave. So.. we left.

I would never return to this hotel again – ever – no way – no how! It really gives Sheraton a bad name and unless Sheraton has really lowered their standards, which I don’t think they have, then this hotel in no way represents the name Sheraton. This was what I would accept from a cheaper hotel chain at a much cheaper price. Instead I paid for the hotel and paid a lot of extra since they didn't deliver!!

And by the way you might wonder why I am writing so much later then my stay and the reason is that I did write and complain to the hotel directly and of course got no response and since I just came across that letter I thought I would sent one your way as well.

Gail DeHelian

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank mommyoffiveinpa
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2009

The Good:
At check-in, service was adequate but not overly friendly. I asked if I could add a name to the reservation as my companion would be arriving separately later and would need to get his own key (I would not be at the hotel when he arrived since I would be at a wedding rehearsal). They easily added his name to the reservation and there were no problems when he checked-in separately.

The room was laid out nicely with a king bed and a pull-out couch (loveseat size). The flat screen TV and mini-fridge were also a nice touch. It was plenty big and comfortable.

The in-room touches were distinctly Sheraton with free Starbucks coffee, Tazo tea, and "bliss" Mandarin Mint shampoo, conditioner, and lotion. There is no liquid body wash, only bar soap.

The hotel bar was nice and had good service with a basic drink costing $6. This was expected and I felt comparable to most hotel bar prices. However, I recommend bringing your own drinks and keeping them in the mini fridge instead to save on money.

The location is fantastic - easily accessible to 283, 83, 81, 322, 22, 76 and other major roads. It is connected to the shopping plaza behind it with about 2 flights of stairs in case you need something you forgot at Target, JC Penney, shoe stores, etc. There is also a Chili's, Friendly's, Five Guys, Subway, Moe's, and a smoothie place for casual dining.

The Bad:
The room was not particularly clean and we had found several pool toys that must have been left by the previous occupant and were overlooked by housekeeping. There was a fair amount of mold on the bathroom ceiling. We actually stayed in two separate rooms in two different wings during our stay (read "The Ugly", below) and neither room was very clean, so I don't think it was one particular housekeeper that was the issue.

The air conditioner, as others have mentioned, was quite loud and if white noise bothers you, you might find it annoying. We were able to tune the noise out and didn't find it too bothersome.

The Ugly:
The walls between rooms are absolutely paper thin. You can hear EVERYTHING going on in the room next to you and in the hallway. The first night, this was not an issue as things quieted down at a reasonable hour. However, the second night, we were unfortunate enough to have a neighbor who was on his phone all night long. We could hear every word of his conversation very clearly, along with the other side of the conversation because he was using speaker phone which we could also hear clearly. We could also hear every word of the TV program he had on and the noises that resulted from some activities with a late-night visitor (we heard the whole phone call invitation, too). At 1am, we finally gave up tossing and turning and called the front desk to ask if they could ask him to quiet down. We could - also quite clearly - hear security ask him to keep it down at 1:30 (I am not sure what the long delay was), but he returned to his conversation and late night visitor immediately after security left. At 2am, we called again and asked to switch rooms and were told it was "impossible" but that security would be sent again. At 3am, we demanded another room and after some stern persuading we were given keys to a new room. As if our night wasn't bad enough already, the keys did not work and we had to return to the front desk to get a different key and that key also did not work (apparently the card reader needed new batteries or something??) so we had to return once again to the front desk. Finally, we were sent to a third room where we were able to get some sleep at 4am. There were no apologies given and there was certainly no sympathy at any point during this debacle. While we were relieved to finally get some quiet, the amount of time it took to handle this request was simply unacceptable and unfortunately ruined our entire stay at the Sheraton. We will not be returning and I would not recommend it to anyone. Try the Holiday Inn (Harrisburg East location) across the street instead.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Long Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2009

We went so that we could go to Hershey Park - which was about 8 miles away - not far really. We stayed two nights in the hotel using my husbands Starwood Rewards Points. We had a room with two beds in it and then requested a rollaway bed for my sons friend. The hotel was clean, the beds were comfortable and the service was good. We requested the rollaway when we checked in and it was up to our room within 10 minutes. They immediately brought up extra towels and were very accomodating. The kids (teenagers) really enjoyed the pool, the hot tub and the exercise room. Yes, the restaurant was overpriced, but hey - it's a Sheraton after all, but, we did not eat there. There is a shopping center directly behind the hotel - it even has a staircase leading down there to make it easier on the hotel guests to get there. There is a Friendly's (we ate breakfast there, both days), a Chili's restaurant (we ate dinner there once), a Target, Pizza, Tropical Smoothie, Burgers, etc., etc. etc. There is a Bob Evans not far too (where we had dinner also although we enjoyed chili's better). But, really, there are a lot of places around there as alternatives to eat, if you want to keep your expenses to a minumum. But I really must say that the hotel was very nice and the A/C system really wasn't any louder than anything you would have a home.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Boston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2009

Good - nice flat screen TV, refrigerator, convenient with shopping and food nearby. Not too far from Hershey Park.
Bad - No more shower gel when we ask on the second/3rd day. Dirty pool, I pull out a 10 inch log clogged hair from the water. Water is definitely so unclear. No smell of chlorine. Not required to wash before you jump in. I got very bad eye infection for 10 days just 2 days after visiting and the infection won't heal until I went to see the doctor.
I went to breakfast buffet on a weekday as my daughter wanted to go there to waste money. Well, lucky me that I got sick with my stomach. I know when I got that kind of problem. I know what to blame.
I am spg member getting free nights. All other sheratons I went to had very good reception desk service people in general. Don't want to get into detail. But this one is total like a MacDonald, get in and get out.
I would recommend it. But please fix all that.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family