“Nice Hotel, yes, we would go again”

Sheraton Harrisburg-Hershey
Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed July 19, 2009

We went so that we could go to Hershey Park - which was about 8 miles away - not far really. We stayed two nights in the hotel using my husbands Starwood Rewards Points. We had a room with two beds in it and then requested a rollaway bed for my sons friend. The hotel was clean, the beds were comfortable and the service was good. We requested the rollaway when we checked in and it was up to our room within 10 minutes. They immediately brought up extra towels and were very accomodating. The kids (teenagers) really enjoyed the pool, the hot tub and the exercise room. Yes, the restaurant was overpriced, but hey - it's a Sheraton after all, but, we did not eat there. There is a shopping center directly behind the hotel - it even has a staircase leading down there to make it easier on the hotel guests to get there. There is a Friendly's (we ate breakfast there, both days), a Chili's restaurant (we ate dinner there once), a Target, Pizza, Tropical Smoothie, Burgers, etc., etc. etc. There is a Bob Evans not far too (where we had dinner also although we enjoyed chili's better). But, really, there are a lot of places around there as alternatives to eat, if you want to keep your expenses to a minumum. But I really must say that the hotel was very nice and the A/C system really wasn't any louder than anything you would have a home.

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Harrisburg-Hershey

Reviewed July 13, 2009

Good - nice flat screen TV, refrigerator, convenient with shopping and food nearby. Not too far from Hershey Park.
Bad - No more shower gel when we ask on the second/3rd day. Dirty pool, I pull out a 10 inch log clogged hair from the water. Water is definitely so unclear. No smell of chlorine. Not required to wash before you jump in. I got very bad eye infection for 10 days just 2 days after visiting and the infection won't heal until I went to see the doctor.
I went to breakfast buffet on a weekday as my daughter wanted to go there to waste money. Well, lucky me that I got sick with my stomach. I know when I got that kind of problem. I know what to blame.
I am spg member getting free nights. All other sheratons I went to had very good reception desk service people in general. Don't want to get into detail. But this one is total like a MacDonald, get in and get out.
I would recommend it. But please fix all that.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank a201348
Reviewed July 5, 2009

Pro: We had a king + pullout (double bed) room, and the room was nicely furnished. There is a complimentary fridge to use in the room.

Con: However, the bathroom was small, dirty in the corners of the tub and towels haphazardly hung on the shower towel rack. The fridge seemed to be off, but its temperature control was actually behind the fridge (and the fridge was inside a cabinet), so it was difficult to turn it back on.

Tip: If you require quiet to sleep, request that your room window NOT face the pool and face the parking lot on the other side. Not only do you hear screaming kids, but the hotel plays movies at night at the pool, and it gets incredibly noisy

Pro: The staff was quite responsive and lovely, and changed the room to a cleaner room with a working fridge immediately. I also left my toothpaste at home, and when they realized that they ran out of toothpaste, the staff went to the nearest store to pick some up for me.

I am told by senior staff that this hotel was a Marriott, then Wyndham, then Sheraton. It looked like an older property - somewhat dated lobby and pool area - not extravagant or modern. But as a Starwood property, the hotel carried the "Shine by bliss" mandarin mint shampoo/conditioner/soap/lotion amenities, Starbucks coffee and Tazo teas.

The front desk staff (who seemed quite young - maybe in their 20s) was not entirely versed on what and where there was to see, eat and do in the area outside of Hershey Park - I relied on my Blackberry instead, choosing to go to the Indian Echo Caverns 15 mins away, directions for which the staff could not give.

19  Thank K K
Reviewed July 5, 2009

I stayed here two nights over the 4th of July weekend. We came primarily to go to Hershey Park - I had my two girls, 8 and 2. The good things: this place is in a very convenient location. I drove up, having forgotten to bring sunscreen, and was saying "We'll have to find a Target nearby..." and it's RIGHT next to Target. There are indeed breakfast, lunch, and dinner options all very close by. The hotel is beautiful and well kept. Upon check-in, I was immediately upgraded (Starwood Preferred Gold member). The room was spacious (king w/sofa) and had a surprise balcony, which was fun for the girls. The pools were awesome, though cold. The hot tub was lukewarm. The indoor pool was absolutely freezing. The outdoor pool was better - maybe the heat of the sun helped. It was VERY nice - as far as hotel pools go. The fitness center - usually where I spend some time, looked really nice. I didn't get to go since my husband didn't join me this time and I had to stay w/the girls. Oh, and the Dog & Pony restaurant? What we ordered was awesome. Good food! Also, we did the order form for in-room breakfast on the last day (this morning) and checked 7.15-7.30 as the time...they came at 7.25! It was fun for us. The mini-fridge in the room was nice, too.

The bad. You really CAN hear everything. We were on the 10th floor and could hear people and cars in the parking lot even with the balcony door closed. Imagine what the hallways sounded like! It was non-stop noise, I'm surprised any of us slept at all. The air conditioner unit? It sounds like a freight train. IN YOUR ROOM. It is so incredibly loud, it's actually disruptive. I'm glad to have it because the alternative would be a stifling room, but boy it's almost not worth the trouble. It's also bordered by very busy streets, so while it's convenient (stores within close proximity) it's also inconvenient because of the noise.

When I checked in, I had great service. I also had no expectations yet, so that's probably part of the reason I was impressed. Sat. morning we came down for the "complimentary" breakfast that the SPG.com website says is for club members (which we are), only to find that you had to pay extra for that. Really? The website doesn't say that. I was highly offended, as well, that there is a big sign outside the club lounge - which is usually for Starwood members - that basically says children under 16 are not welcome to go in there. Really? We pay for membership priviledges, but our young families are not welcome to partake? Give me a break. This happened once before in New York a couple of weeks ago and the manager immediately called Starwood on our behalf to try and straighten it out and then offered us all free breakfast coupons. This hotel? Nothing.

I'd rate the atmosphere a 5 for the pools alone and the service a 2. Those air conditioners have got to go! I'll write a review about Hershey Park separately - I can't wait to see what others have said and I wish I'd thought to read reviews first. Good luck!

Reviewed June 23, 2009

I was at the Sheraton Harrisburg-Hershey for a conference and I stayed two nights at the hotel. Overall, the trip was a good experience. The hotel is located two minutes from the turnpike and five minutes from downtown Harrisburg. There is a Chile's and Friendly's nearby if you want a quick bite. The hotel lobby is spacious and clean. I didn't get a chance to go swimming, but the indoor/outdoor pool was surprisingly large with a nice outdoor area for laying out.

I did have some gripes, though, that definitely took away from the experience.
- the bathroom was tiny and smelled a little funky
- there is internet access in each room, but only after you go to the front desk, get a cd and install it. Pretty annoying, especially since most Hampton Inns have a cord that you can just plug in the back of your laptop. There are 5 computers in the business center, but with 200+ people at the conference, there was almost always a line to check emails.
-Not very quiet. I could hear everything that was going on in the hallway.

I'm a pretty easy-going traveler, so these annoyances weren't deal breakers for me. Overall, I say the good qualities of the hotel outweigh the negatives and I would probably stay here again - if traveling on business.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 4, 2009

The staff here is fabulous! From the front desk, to the wait staff, and even the maintance staff. I'm in the industry and everyone here was so friendly. The hostess in the resturant just said to us " Whatever you need your the guest" ..That's what it's all about. The rooms were spacious and comfortable, although the walls were a bit thin. The fitness center and pool area was fantastic.. LOVE THE state of the art tread mill!!! I want one of those for my home! There are some maintance issues but the level of service, hospitality, quality of food out weighs minor maintance issues. I highly recommend the Shearton Harrisburg/ Hershey!!!!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 4, 2009

We arrived at the hotel for a couples weekend and were quite happy. It was nicely appointed and we were checked in within minutes. When we got to our room, we were pleasntly surprised with a large flat screen tv and refrigerator. The room was nicely decorated and the bed was comfy. It was nearby to Hershey park (about 8 miles) and many restaurants. we would definetely stay there again and got it for a great price.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple