“Luxury surrounded by concrete and asphalt”

Sheraton Harrisburg-Hershey
Ranked #22 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Philadelphia, PA
“Luxury surrounded by concrete and asphalt”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

There is something about expressways, along with the shopping malls and chain merchants that always seem to grow next to them, that suck the life and charm from a neighborhood. While this makes for good value and convenience while staying in such an area, you must drive (and I emphasize the words MUST DRIVE, as there is no way to walk or take mass transit) to get to a place where you'll want to do anything but eat, sleep, and sit in your room. The Sheraton Harrisburg is far above the typical cookie-cutter lodgings that end up in these places, but you can't overlook what's surrounding you.

Stayed here for three nights during a convention in downtown Harrisburg. Got such a great deal due to blind bidding that it would have been cheaper to take a cab, twice a day, than to stay downtown. Service was top-notch despite our paying way below rack rate.

Our room was quite spacious, with a VERY comfortable bed. It had full bath, phone, radio-alarm, AC (surprisingly loud!), mini-fridge, hair dryer, iron & board, coffee-maker, and TV with 39 channels plus pay-per-view. The room was clean, well-maintained, and quiet (except for the AC). Two bottles of water were provided, the smaller one "with our compliments" and the larger one costing $4.
In-room wi-fi was free. There was also an ethernet portal on the desk, but it did not work on our laptop, and even tech support was surprised that we wanted to use it. It seemed strange to me that one would place an ethernet connection and then have nobody who knew how to get it to work.
The tub was a bit of disappointment; it seemed to be decades old, and its controls for temperature and flow rate were not easy to make work.

The hotel featured an inviting lobby (good place to relax with their TV or their many books), larger than usual business center (with printer!), restaurant, bar, pool, spa, exercise room, and a 24-hour gift shop that sold a variety of munchies. The restaurant is open for breakfast, but you must pay for this meal. Note that all parts of the property are smoke-free. There is no charge for parking.
Starwood seems to have introduced an offer that some may like: if you forgo ALL maid services (ie, nobody will enter your room), and leave a sign on your door to that effect by 2am, you'll get a coupon for $5 worth of food in the hotel. As you can buy food at the gift shop, this (in effect) means free munchies if you can do without maid service for a day.

The hotel is right off I-83, about five miles from downtown Harrisburg and eleven miles from Hershey. It is adjacent to a large mall with several large chain stores and restaurants. Being near an interstate exit, there are other chain restaurants nearby.

The hotel seemed to be designed for business travelers and meetings, but a family or a couple can enjoy this place just as much. If you can get a good price and don't mind driving to get to where you want to go, this Sheraton is a good choice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
AGMSheraton, General Manager at Sheraton Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Thank you for your review! We are happy that you enjoyed your time in Harrisburg with us. Please come visit us again if ever in the area!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I do not think that I will stay at this hotel again. I was attending a conference at the hotel and it was very convenient. However, next time I will stay at another hotel and drive to the conference. It was not what I have learned to expect from Sheraton's. I have stayed in six or seven hotels in the past month and this was at the bottom of the list.

The room was spacious and clean. However, the bathroom was the pits. I was greeted by two spiders prior to a shower in the morning. When I got into the shower the shower head came away from the wall when I adjusted it. I also had to stand in my dirty water because the drain did not drain properly. I might add the toilet did not flush properly either.

The noise in the room was also very frustrating. I found it very difficult to sleep as I heard everytime someone flushed a toilet. The air conditioning was also so loud that when it came on I had to turn the tv up.

Finally, the pools were getting cleaned but they should have started with the fitness room. I look foward to be able to use nice treadmills. There was only one functioning (if I can say that) and it was so dirty that when I wiped it down prior to my run the wipe was black.

I hope that the hotel makes some changes because at this time I would not recommend to anyone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your candid feedback. Please accept our apologies for the condition of your room. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you in regards to some of the details of your stay. Please feel free to contact me at 717-564-5511.
Honolulu
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is below expectations for a Sheraton. The room has wall paper peeling and rusted bathroom features. It also isn't close to Hershey. The service, however, was acceptable. We went here with a family of four for spring break.

• Stayed March 2013
AGMSheraton, General Manager at Sheraton Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you for your review! Hershey is a quick trip East of us. We do apologize for the condition of your room. We will be sure to investigate and use this information as a training tool for our Housekeeping and Engineering departments. We do hope this stay won't keep you from visiting us again in the future!
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I stayed here with my daughter when we were in town for an athletic competition. It was acceptable, if not wonderful.

Check in was quick and friendly -- good marks for that. The lobby area was attractive, and the pool looked inviting (although I did not use it).

Our room was comfortable and we slept well. The halls were looking a bit tired, and the place is a bit difficult to navigate, but once we figured it out, we were fine. All in all, an okay place to stay in the Hershey area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again in the future and that you'll have time to try our fantastic pools!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My philosophy is to look at the best a place has to offer, discuss it, and then provide an honest description of an experience. The Sheraton is located off of I 83 near Harrisburg. It's a large property with two towers, so you may do some walking to get to your room. It has a killer pool and hot tub area. The lobby is airy and open, and the staff was friendly and helpful. The bar is lively and quite large. Now the other stuff. The guestroom was clean, but in need of updating, as with much of the property. Some furniture was frayed and worn. The woodwork and paint in the hallways and common areas had many nicks and dings which had not been touched up in some time, and the carpet was frayed in areas. In the lobby, which was architecturally nice, much of the furniture was again in need of replacement. I paid $180 for the room, and given the need for renovations I'm not sure that was a good value. But you can make your own decisions.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We are happy that you were able to enjoy our pool and bar. We do apologize for the appearance of some of the public areas, but continue to work hard to make improvements. We hope you will return in the future to see all that we have done!
Orlando, Florida, United States
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I agree with some of the other reviewers that this property can show it's age, especially in the rooms. I stayed here in 2012 for the Keystone Conference and I definitely could see the wear. This year, it seemed a little cleaner and kept up. Looking at the other reviews, it does seem that missteps occur here frequently. I had one of my own. The day I checked in, I was in my room when another guest opened my door with a room key. Luckily I wasn't doing anything I wouldn't want my mother to see, but the woman and I were both a little surprised. The staff called me to make sure that I wasn't upset and gave me club room privileges for the trouble. The club room is very nice and I might even pay for it when I go to the conference next year. I think the staff is extremely friendly and I like the health center. Overall, I'd say even if mistakes happen, the staff seems to try very hard to make everyone feel welcome and satisfied.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
AGMSheraton, General Manager at Sheraton Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. We really enjoy hosting The Keystone Conference here! Maintenance and general upkeep of the property are a priority for us, and we are glad that you noticed some improvements over the past year. We have investigated your issue and will use it as a training tool. We hope this does not keep you from returning next year, as our staff always looks forward to that week!
Mullica Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed March 14, 2013

First let me begin by saying the on-site restaurant the Dog and Pony- Sharon, the host and hostess and the DJ were the highlight of our stay. They were able to safely handle my daughter and my Celiac disease and dairy intolerance. The food was wonderful, service prompt and friendly and we ate here every evening of our stay. The rooms had so definite issues. Our room had no functioning heater when we arrived and a technician spent an hour rewiring to make sure the relays were reading the wall thermostat as they were retro-fitted. Secondly, towels and washcloths seemed to in short supply and we needed to call house-keeping daily about this dilemma. Third, we needed to call house-keeping more than once about making the beds while we were out. We left by 7-7:30 and returned well after 8pm leaving ample time for room clean-up. Fourthly, the last night of our stay we added a second room of guests. Their phone did not work, they had non-functioning outlets, a TV which did not function and their second bed was not set-up with blankets, sheets or pillows. I made reservations well in advance with the names and number of people staying in each room. Finally and most importantly, Dan L the on-site manager at the time of our questions was rude and would not listen to our requests for explanation as to why my oldest daughters credit card and my credit card had both been charged for our single room. Hmmm. Enter Jeff, and Dhaval who were proficient at handling the extraneous charges as well as re-training the staff member. The facility is lovely and it is unfortunate we had such blatant faux pas' occur on an otherwise wonderful trip. We are unsure whether we will stay here next year when we return to take part in the Farm Show Event we attended this year.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review! I have passed along your positive feedback to Sharon and the rest of The Dog and Pony Staff. It is regrettable that the rest of your stay was not as pleasurable. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas of potential improvement. We will make sure to use this review as a learning experience and training tool. We hope to see you again when you are in the area!