“A very loud hotel”

Sheraton Harrisburg-Hershey
Ranked #26 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel for two nights. It is conveniently located 15 mins from Hershey Park. We have 2 kids ages 8 and 5 1/2. We had 2 connecting rooms.

The rooms were newly redone and very comfortable. However, this is not a hotel for someone who wants a quiet stay.

On Sat night we were awakened by some guys coming home from a night out at 1:30am. They were so loud that I assumed they were standing outside our door and I asked my husband if he could peek his head out to ask them to go in their room so they didnt wake up our kids. Amazingly enough, when he looked, there was no one in the hall. We were able to hear them from their room next door, and I dont mean muffled conversation, it was like they were in the room with us! I could hear the bed springs from their bed when they laid down on it. Luckily, they went to bed somewhat quickly but we were freaked out by this! I have never in my life experienced walls this thin.

The next night, there was a baby crying in the room next to our children, and we could hear it so loudly that we had enough. Luckily, it was a sunday night and the hotel was not very booked so they were able to move us to another set of connecting rooms down the hall.

The other things that make this hotel loud are the fast-flush toilets in the bathrooms and doors that slam shut.

We took the kids swimming and the pool is very tired-looking and the hot tub needs painting.

I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Dont book here if you want a quiet stay.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
AGMSheraton, General Manager at Sheraton Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Thank you for providing your feedback. I apologize we were not able to meet your standards during your recent stay with us. If you do decide to return to the area again, please reach out to us directly so that I can handle your reservation personally.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

We stayed at this Sheraton on SPG points - for 3K, it was quite a good deal. The room was a nice size, and the amenities were good also - including a mini fridge which was good for us traveling with kids. I thought the bathroom was a bit outdated - some rust on the fixtures and some hairs left by prior occupants. Overall, a good value and we would not mind staying here again! At Hershey, the park is the destination - not the hotels! (no matter how luxurious) :)

1  Thank Elena M
Andrew L, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2012

Wow! Thank you for your response and feedback. Our hotel is centrally and conveniently located with in 15 minutes to Hershey Park and Downtown Harrisburg. Downtown Harrisburg is home to many great shops, restaurants and of course the Harrisburg Senators Baseball Team. We thank you for staying with us and we do look forward to you returning to us! We are headed for some great upgrades to the hotel within this coming year.

Thank you again!

Reviewed September 19, 2012

I planned an overnight corporate event here in Sept 2012 with 100+ employees. We had dinner, and breakfast the following morning. Planning was a breeze, communication was constant. The front desk was friendly and welcoming. The banquet staff was tops, they were on it from start to finish. They accomodated specialty food requests and very late arrivals with ease. The rooms were clean and handicapped accessable for some of my guests. The pool was open later than posted, the kids loved it. Not one complaint from over 100 guests. I would definately go back again. Thank you for making me look good with my employer!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
AGMSheraton, General Manager at Sheraton Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Thank you for your wonderful remarks, which I have shared with our staff. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and your meeting, and look forward to welcoming you back next year!

Reviewed September 7, 2012

We stayed at the Sheraton Harrisburg on August 24th-26th 2012. We booked the room thru Travelocity. The room did not occupy the correct amount of guests we listed. NO ONE would correct it. This was known many days prior to our stay- actually right after booking! When Travelocity gave us our room details AFTER the transaction. The Hotel said "sorry you booked through a third party can't help you" and passed it back to Travelocity. WHO WERE EVEN WORSE. They said we could NOT cancel without loosing the entire booking amount for the "cancelation fee"--- that is a whole long story besides the Hotel itself . But we will NEVER book anything again thru them. As for the Hotel itself, It is an older updated Hotel. But not at all in good maintainence. The staff was nice, our room was kept clean, the decor on the room was nice. It was quiet. However the carpets looked like they really needed scrubbed, the elevators were BROKEN- only one worked and you had long crowded waits to get on. At one point NONE WORKED! The pool was ok- but when I went there were no towels. The Hot tub broken the whole time- they emptied at night and FILLED UP with Hot water! They told my husband this! The food was astronomically priced. They served ZERO complimentary breakfasts to us. The one thing my kids enjoyed was the movies beside the pool at night outside. (but was crowded and hard to hear they said). Sadly for the money we paid- we could have ahad a FULL FAMILY SUITE with a kitchenette-at a newer hotel with same ameneties-- plus enough ROOM, and a free breakfast for my family. Needless to say- total disappointment. We reached out to Both the Hotel AND Travelocity and neither made ANY EFFORT to help us. On top of that- Travelocity DID NOT PUBLISH MY REVIEW OF HOTEL!!! So what does that say? Even MORE misleading to potential customers looking at reviews. wow

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Sally D

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate any and all feedback. Of course we do try to make all of our guests' happy, but sadly it is not always possible. We never make any secrets about the set up of our guest rooms or what ammenitites the hotel has to offer. We only pray that the third party companies that help sell our "vacant" rooms, represent our rooms and hotel the same way.

We do thank you for staying with us and we hope you give us another try.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

I have stayed at other SPG hotels including Sheraton, Westin and Fourpoint and I have to say has never been disappointed. Even though this one is a category 2 hotel in the SPG ranking, it was pretty decent compared to holiday inn or econnolodge and others in that range. Pool was great Indoor/outdoor and a heated/pressured jacuzzi. We ate breakfast buffet ( pretty good) on Sunday and a la carte Monday and order take out at the Dog & Pony pub, it prices were within reasonably range and food also decent.

A bit disapoinnted they did not have staff to carry your luggage to the room but that's ok 'cause I save some tipping.

Front desk was courteous and rooms clean.

Room Tip: If you want to get best rate, book with starwood points which is usually fixed price for points and...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
AGMSheraton, General Manager at Sheraton Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Thank you for your wonderful remarks, which i have shared with our staff. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Everything was great with this hotel. Rooms and common places were clean and orderly, and the food in the restaurant/room service was delicious. Every employee that I met was friendly and helpful - from the restarurant to the front desk. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was, at times I felt the pool area should have been cleaner, and the pool should have been skimmed.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed September 1, 2012

As a 5 year Starwood Preferred Member I'm very used to Sheratons. I've never been so disappointed in a hotel, at any level, including Red Roof Inn, which is not on this level.

There were children running around screaming, public restrooms which didn't work, abysmal service in the restaurant, to name a few. This is a horrible hotel as far as I & my family can tell

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Jenna P

I apologize we were not able to meet your standards. We welcome all feedback, as it helps us to get better. If you are ever in the area again please reach out to me directly, so that I can handle your reservation personally and make your stay a memorable one.