“For one night it was a good find”

Sheraton Harrisburg-Hershey
Ranked #22 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
New York, USA
“For one night it was a good find”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Stayed here in August 2012 on my way through PA. Won for a very good rate through Priceline. I definitely wouldn't pay the full rate to stay here, but for the killer deal I got from PL, it was a great value. Check in/front desk staff was very courteous, with the receptionist taking the time to explain where the gym, restaurant, etc. were and the respective operating hours.

The bed was really comfortable, but I found noise from the A/C and hallway to be loud. People: don't let your kids run up and down the hallway at midnight. It's just rude.

Wifi was free. Finally, a hotel that got it right! There were also computers in the lobby for public use. The amenities in the room were good, but I was surprised to see they use plastic cups in the bathroom and the room didn't have a minibar.

Just behind the hotel you'll find a few shops and places to eat, including Target, JC Penney, Chili's, Friendly's, and Moe's. I decided to eat at the "Dog and Pony" -- the restaurant in the hotel. Service was excellent. I had the Nicoise salad, which included Ahi tuna ($12). Presentation was lovely, but the tomatoes were hard and the fish wasn't seasoned at all which was a disappointment. Lots of salt and pepper did the trick. I overhead people raving about some of the other dishes, so maybe I didn't order the right thing...

Overall, for a one night stay, I was completely satisfied with the hotel and found the staff to be very welcoming. I travel a lot, so I wouldn't go as far as other reviewers to say it's a "lovely hotel" or "couldn't be better," but it sufficed for a night.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Andrew L, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for your comments and feedback. We are glad you had the chance to stay with us. Our Chef carefully selects our menu items, along with help from Starwoods Chefs, to find just the right items to appeal to our travelors. Of course that menu changes twice a year, typically. We hope you stop by again and check out our Fall/ Winter menus. We change them again in the Spring/Summer to appeal to our families on vacation. We thank you again for recognizing our great location, right in front of the fabulous HighPointe Shopping Plaza. We are also just minutes away from downtown Harrisburg. Great places to dine and shop there, as well.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Colebrook, New Hampshire
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Really enjoyed my stay... Welcoming people.... Nice spacious room with fridge, huge HDTV, great wifi Internet, very comfortable bed and couch...

Breakfast, lunch and diner option for additional fees on the premise...

Nice pool and complete fitness center with lots of equipment...

I had a great stay...

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you so much for your comments and positive feedback! We are glad you had the time during your stay to check out our Core Fitness Center. No one wants to workout during vacation..but for those who do, we think we have what they need! In addition to all of our rooms having a refrigerator, we also offer a microwave available 24 hours in our gift shop. Thank you for noticing our Sweet Sleeper beds, Sheraton's brand of mattress are recognized as being some of the most comfortable mattresses.

Thank you again, we look forward to your return!!
Sarnia, Ontario
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Stayed one night at this hotel due to it's proximity to Hershey (about 15 minutes away), getting a great deal through Priceline. Having stayed at a Comfort Inn the night before, my kids were immediately blown away by how beautiful, clean and spacious the front lobby of this hotel was. The guest services staff were very friendly and accomodating, while the front lobby has ample seating room, with up to 5 or 6 computers for guests to use, individual pod areas for watching .tv with a few friends, while the apples on the counter, lemonade stand in the lobby and complimentary bottle of water in our room were all nice touches. The room itself was clean, spacious, and we all slept great ! The pool at this hotel was a welcome sight after a long, hot day in the car. The Sheraton has connecting outdoor and indoor pools, with a whirlpool, while offering drinks and food poolside as the weekend approaches. The Cabana bar at poolside was unfortunately something I wasn:t able to take advanatage of as we stayed at this hotel early in the week. Parking at this hotel is considerable, while a large mall is located directly behind, our family enjoying the shopping at Target, while enjoying dinner at Chilis. The hotel also has a gift shop with reasonably priced merchandise and is easy to get to off the highway. Overall I would definately recommend this hotel to friends, and would welcome an opportunity to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Andrew L, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Wow! Thank you so much for your positive feedback. We appreciate you taking the time out to review us on trip advisor. Next time you come to see us, be sure to come on the weekend so you can take advantage of our Pool Grille. We provide hot, fresh food cooked right in front of you on our grill and of course those frozen drinks prove to be a necessity on those hot summer nights! Both of our pools are heated so even in the winter, while our outdoor pool is closed, the indoor pool is nice and toasty warm! We are working on some great upgrades through out this year. We hope you return to our hotel and let us know what you think! Thank you again for your comments and for staying with us!
Berkshire, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 2, 2012

My husband and I chose to stay at this Sheraton (half way point) on the way to see "Falling Water" (Frank Llyod Wright's masterpiece). To be perfectly honest I wasn't expecting anything special...just a basic hotel to stay in over night. I was so wrong! It was just lovely in every way! The staff (Sarah, Andrew, Hetti and Justin in particular) were all so helpful and friendly. They gave us wonderful suggestions for breakfast and dinner and our room was clean and the beds VERY comfortable. We normally don't swim, but the pool was very inviting and we thoroughtly enjoyed our stay and booked a return room two days later.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Andrew L, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Harrisburg-Hershey, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you so much for your positive feedback! Our front desk team consistantly strives to provide the most complete information we can about the surrounding area. We are glad we were able to assist you in your dining and entertainment needs. We look forward to your return trip, we are currently updating our elevators and getting ready to redo our lighting through out the building. We are eager to better our property by doing upgrades as often as we can with out inconveniencing our guests.

Thank you again for staying with us..come back and see us again real soon!
Pasadena, Maryland, United States
Reviewed August 2, 2012

The title of my post was the line I used every time a staff member inquired about my stay. My wife, daughter and I visited this resort for three nights back in June. Initially, we booked for two nights, but the hotel itself made us want to stay that extra day. First of all, we booked using our Starwood points. It absolutely makes sense to use the extra 1000 points/night to upgrade to the club level. Basically, guests in this category get free soft drinks, water, appetizers and cookies. Best of all, we're talking name brand stuff.

Anyway, on the way in-route to the hotel, our two year old vomited in the car. We never figured the cause but she clearly wasn't feeling well. Thus, my wife called the hotel, explained the circumstances and inquired about early check-in. Although they had a full house the previous night, they told us not worry and that the room would be ready upon arrival. Long short, they kept their word.

The hotel has an indoor pool that extends outside. Likewise, they have a hot tub. In addition, a well-equipped and modern gym facility sits adjacent to the polls. Being on a high floor (9), I worried about waiting for elevators. To my surprise, I rarely waited more than a minute during the entire stay. Also, since guests must be 16 years old to access the club level, the hotel gave us complimentary breakfast passes in the restaurant so we could dine as a family.

All in all, the staff makes this place great. Every front desk staff I encountered immediately greeted me and happily answered my questions. The bartender enjoyed talking baseball. Heck, he was pretty cool for a Yankees fan! In addition, the club level staff, particularly the older lady in the morning, set the bar for customer relations. When I inquired about a playground for my daughter, she actually offered to let us follow her to one when she got off work. Her directions were so good that we didn't take her up on that. Finally, I saw the general manager routinely patrolling the property. I like a boss that makes themselves visible to the customers.

No doubt, we will return to this resort in the future. In fact, since the trip my daughter keeps saying, "I want to go back to the hotel". My wife and I agreed, we may return this summer or fall even if we don't go to Hershey Park(15 minutes) or Dutch Wonderland (30 Minutes). After all, the pool itself keeps my daughter happy.

Room Tip: This resort has a plethora of business conventions. They are easily avoided by staying on the 4th f...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Wow! Thank you for your feedback! We so appreciate your positive comments. We are in a fabulous location. 10 minutes to Hershey and 10 minutes to downtown Harrisburg..our States' Capital and home to the Harrisburg Senators Baseball Team. (Since you like baseball..I thought I would throw that one in!) Our indoor and outdoor pools are always a hot attraction to our young guests. Rightfully so, our pools connect and when open in the summer, this makes an easy transition from indoor to outdoor in seconds. Both pools are also heated..making it comfortable for our "early morning swimmers." We are currently updating our elevators, so for your next stay, going to the 9th floor should go even faster for you!

Thank you again for your comments..we look forward to your return trip!
Long Island, NY
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I felt insulted the minute I checked in. I was offered a room on the first floor, and when I asked for something on a higher floor a comment was made about my booking thru Expedia and the only other available room was on 2, next to the elevator. I said my rate was not that inexpensive, in fact only $10.00 lest then Sheraton's posted rate. The clerk did not mention a single hotel amenity which I heard the other clerk telling someone else checking in. No more Sheraton's for my family.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank goswett
Lyndhurst, New Jersey
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I stayed at this hotel from July 26-29 for a trip to Hershey Park and a wedding at Hotel Hershey. I am not here to complain but to give the simple facts. This is a Sheraton, not a 4 Seasons or a W, so you need to know the expectations when staying here.
Pros
1. Good location - a 15 minute ride to Hershey but make sure you have a car because the cab will cost you 40 bucks
2. Stores behind the hotel property such as Target, JC Penney and Famous Footwear in case you forget anything.
3. Pool is a nice indoor outdoor combination - pool hours are good and there is a food bar there as well
4. Easy access on and off the main highways
5. Food options close by - Friendly's, Bob Evans, Subway etc
6. Restaurant and bar on site is nice even though a bit expensive for PA

Cons
1. Bathroom is crazy small - open the door and the toilet is right there and you need to close the door to have any chance of getting into the shower
2. Pillows are very soft and offer no support - your head sinks right into them
3. Maid knocks on your door and opens it before you even have a chance to respond to her knock
4. They allow you to sit in the lobby with friends (BYOB) and have a drink late at night but they do not clean up the wine bottles and cans that are left behind
5. Not sure if the bed is a sweet sleeper as I hav e slept on many before
6. AC is loud which doesn't bother me but may others

As I said, this is a Sheraton and the cons I listed really do not bother me too much because I have an expectation of what this would be like. I would stay here again and I would recommend it. Note that I was using points for this trip and I heard that room rates are around $200, which sounds a little high.The points were only 4000 per night which is a steal if you have the points to spend.

• Stayed July 2012