“Old and Avg hotel”

Ranked #45 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
New York City, New York
“Old and Avg hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

We booked this hotel at last min on this labor day weekend. I am writing this review from hotel. We are planning to go to Washington DC. We do not want to drive for 5 hours on Saturday morning so we just thought of stopping here for one night. It is midway for us.
I booked it for like less than $ 50 on Priceline "name your own price". This is very old hotel..easily 40 years old property. Good part is room are large with large balconies.. This property outline reminds me of old time guest houses.

Whole room and hallways are smelling a lot! We are in non smoking room and I found burned cigarettes in my balcony. Definitely they need to clean the room properly.

Come here if you just want a bed for night and don't want to spend more than $ 50.. Don't book it if you are on family vacation!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank yashmi
HoJoHbg-Hershey, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. Our staff has been aware of your concern with your non-smoking room. Please consider staying with us the next time you are in our area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

Great location. Near Hershey Park and surround attractions (shopping, bowling, etc.). The restaurant/brewery right next door was great too. I would stay here again, we had a blast and hopefully we will be back soon.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank nkrlsn
HoJoHbg-Hershey, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Inn Harrisburg, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are happy to hear that you had an excellent stay at our hotel and enjoyed Hersheypark. We are looking forward to seeing you again the next time you visit our area.
Milford, Connecticut, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

it was ok for the price $80 a night for a 2 double bd room. our maid accidently threw out a bag of toilets i had under the sink and they were nice enough to cut $40 off one night for us. the location is great, mall is right around the corner and for the guys a huge bass pro shop is there. also a movie theater. plenty of restaurants to eat at, etc. this worked our great as we went to hershey park which is only 10 min. away. the pool was not my favorite as all the buoys in the pool were plastic and broken i felt it was very dangerous for kids who could cut themselves. also all the covers on the skimmers were removed and kids feet could have easily fallen in. rooms were ok. the buildings as a whole definitely look run down and aged.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
We appeciate you taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. Our maintenance staff is following up on your comments about the pool. We are happy to hear that our front desk staff was able to compensate you for the items that were inadvertantly thrown away. Please come back and visit us again the next time you are in the Hershey area.
Sandown, New Hampshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

This was our family vacation and it was the last time we would book at a Howard Johnson's. We walked into the room and it hadn't even been vacuumed and there were cobwebs everywhere! Then my daughter found a big spider and freaked. The bathroom was dirty...there was some kind of white substance on the handle of the toilet. The sliding door was very difficult to open and had a big crack in it.In the pool area the small pool was empty, but the gate was open...anyone, especially a child, could have walked in thinking it was full and really got hurt. The gym was filthy too.Then we go to undo the beds and the blanket had a huge hole in it. We go to lock the front door and there wasn't even a chain lock. When my husband questioned the front desk about it they told him that the lock was gone because they didn't want people to get stuck in their rooms in case of a fire and that there were no other rooms available. We turned on the ac it smelled like wires were burning.The last straw was when my daughter was sitting on the bed and got bit by something several times. I went to the desk and told them we were not staying there at all..that it was the most unclean and unsafe hotel we have ever been to. The only nice thing I can say is that the front desk staff was friendly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
We are sorry to hear about your unpleasant stay at our hotel. It is not the kind of experience we want our guests to have. It appears your room was not ready to be occupied when you checked into it. We are reviewing our procedures with our housekeeping staff to make sure all our rooms are clean and ready when our guests check in. Our maintenance staff is making sure our pool area is secure. We apologize for the experience you had and are addressing the issues you raised.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

My sister and I traveled to Harrisburg for a weekend concert and Hershy Park. The location of HoJo was great, about 15 minutes to and from Hersheypark and and our concert venue. Also, the mall/outlets and restaraunts were very close as well, so there is lots to do in that area. Our room was okay, wasn't the cleanest room in the world, but it did have a frige and microwave which was a bonus. The toilet was super loud after each flush and the tub drain was very slow to drain, ew. The A/c unit didn't know whether to stay on or turn off and was really loud all night. Love that each room had its own porch/balcony with a good view of the pool. Pool was nice not extremely cold. Restaraunt/bar next door was nice, great food and nice bartender..definately get the BBQ pizza :) Front desk girl could've been a lil nicer, had an attitude. I would stay there again but there are better looking hotels in the area. Price not horrible for a HoJo.

Room Tip: Recommend BBQ chicken pizza from restaraunt next door...yummy!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay at our hotel. We are glad you emjoyed the restaurant on our property, Lancaster Brewing Company. I am sorry to hear about your loud toilet and slow drain. We are correcting these problems as we become aware of them. Please come back and visit us again when you are in the Hershey area.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

When I arrived it looked a little seedy and when checking in, you could tell they were clearly understaffed. One lady at desk, phones were ringing and line was almost out the door. Finally got my room, when I walked in, it hit me the smell was horrible, smelled like cat pee or some musty old dirty smell. I called front desk to get a room change. They gave me another room, which had no deadbolt on front door and the sliders to the back had not dead bolt, there were supposed to be there, looked like someone ripped them off doors. So I didnt' feel safe to sleep in that room. It was ground floor. So then they told me they had no rooms available, after argueing for about a half hour she tells me they have a room upstairs but it is a king size bed. I have 4 people to sleep. No cot. I had to let 2 of my kids sleep in my friends room. The room I ended up in was dirty and dusty with cobwebs. Bathroom sink knob fell off. Air condition was noisy and not cool. Corners of room were filthy. This motel was terrible and I would never stay there again. Everything was old and smelly. Stains all over. Noisy people. Very bad experience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

We have been travelling for a week and this has been our best stay. Everything exceeded expectations: room size, bed, bathroom, TV, hi-speed wifi, parking, front desk, ice, pop. We have a king size room from expedia for $81. During our trip we have stayed at 2 resorts and 1 major hotel in Atlantic City paying over $200 a night. This has been our best night so far! Well done HOJO.

Room Tip: The Capitol Diner is nearby for a great meal.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple