“Wanted to be treated like Royalty”

Red Lion Hotel Harrisburg Hershey
Ranked #3 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Beacon, New York, United States
“Wanted to be treated like Royalty”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

This is my second year staying at this hotel. I came back due to the great accommodations and the awesome staff lead by Manager Randy!! We were taking a multi- family vacation to visit Hershey Park. We were given adjoining rooms to make it easy for us to socialize when not at the park. The basketball courts, volleyball nets, play ground, indoor and outdoor pools, game rooms and well kept grounds helped to satisfy all the kids and adults!! Coming in to the hotel we were greeted and offered a complimentary drink. We arrived before check in, but were granted use of the pools and grounds until our rooms were ready for us. They had awesome weight room and locker room. While I was checking what room we were supposed to get I met the cleaning lady, she was so nice and pleasant!! Spoke to me about the area and what we could do and how if we needed anything to let her know. Manager Randy was always checking up on us to make sure we were happy. The front desk was nice to my kids, which when they are always asking you for a basketball, which I thought it was cool that they provided this for us, and then asking for other stuff can be hard to do!! Check out was simple , this was the easiest hotel stay ever!! This is my 1st TripAdvisor review ever, and this hotel is what made me take the time out of my day to do it!!!

Room Tip: Pool side rooms are great for families!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Randy S, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Harrisburg Hershey, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Dear Lisam12508,

Thank you for writing about your most recent experience with us. Your time and courtesies in authoring your first TripAdvisor review as a result of your second visit with us is much appreciated. We are all smiles when a guest speaks in high praise of the service and accommodations we provided them, and are grateful it was put in a review for future guests to read. They will get the same royal experience too! Our value is defined by the unequalled commitment to service excellence we strive to provide every guest, and leveraged by the great amenities and awesome location to various attractions, shopping and dining our guests can experience when they stay with us.

We understand the various lodging choices you have when traveling to the Harrisburg/Hershey area and are thrilled you continue to select – thank you.

Randall J. Stuart, CHA, CHME

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We recently stayed here with my family for 3 nights while visiting Hershey and the surrounding area. The hotel has a lot to offer, especially for those traveling with children. The staff is friendly and super attentive. We were greeted with a smile around every corner. The location was very convenient and easily accessible.
My only recommendation is to upgrade the carpeting and room doors. They could use a little freshening up.
Other than that, we felt safe, received a good value and enjoyed the hotel. I have already posted on Facebook and told many of my friends to pick this hotel while visiting the area. We will definitely be back!
-Allison

• Stayed August 2013
Randy S, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Harrisburg Hershey, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Aeckhart,

Thank you for expressing your complete satisfaction by writing a review of the recent experience you and your family had with us – much appreciated. We value such feedback, and always feel a sense of pride when our guests leave very happy. We only know one way to provide a great experience, and that’s with an attitude of whatever it takes, which will always be our primary focus when serving our guest. Our friendly service, awesome amenities, convenient location and great value offer a combination unmatched in the Harrisburg/Hershey market.

We appreciate your recommendation regarding the carpet and guestroom doors. We will continue to deep clean and paint until capital funding is approved for replacement.

Thank you for choosing us during your family vacation to Hershey. We look forward to having you back with us again.

Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Nice lobby with ice water when checking in. clean lobby. Elevator was slow but there were pagents going on. breakfast buffet was good. We had a suite which was good size. Bathroom was small and dated but served its purpose. Would stay again just to try the outdoor pool, it looks awesome!

• Stayed August 2013
Randy S, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Harrisburg Hershey, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear ECtraveler12,

We appreciate your comments of your recent experience with us. We are happy to read you found great value in our service and accommodations. We strive to achieve the type of experience that will keep our valued guests coming back, and always want what’s best for our guests – comfort and enjoyment.

We understand you have various lodging options to choose from in the Harrisburg/Hershey market, and we are thrilled you gave us the opportunity to serve you – much appreciated.

New Jersey
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a quick Hershey Park get away with family. Booked it on online. Did not notice that it was a pet friendly hotel. With that said I didn't notice until in seen a dog. There was no real smell of animals just a lot of stains on the rugs. We stayed on the 2nd floor pool side.
The rooms are very big. A little outdated but clean enough to sleep in. Its a 15min ride to Hershey.
If plaining to go with children this hotel is perfect it has a ton of things for kids to do.(pools,game room, ping pong table, jungle gym, huge area outside to play)
Best of all the bar and restaurant are reasonably priced. A decent bottle of wine cost us $20.
This pace would be a great place for an extended stay with children.
I would recommend this hotel to people with families.

Room Tip: If you have kids stay in the pool side rooms. You won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Randy S, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Harrisburg Hershey, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Dear Damien,

Thank you for writing a review about your first experience with us – much appreciated. We appreciate receiving feedback from our guests, as we always strive to learn from their experience. It’s so important for our team members to know where there might be opportunities to improve, and based upon your valuable comments, we need to address the carpet stains in your room. I will discuss this with our housekeeping team – making sure our pet-friendly rooms are deep cleaned upon check-out. This is standard operating procedure with the limited number of pet-friendly rooms we have, so I will remind the front desk team about the importance of communicating with the housekeeping supervisors when a guest checks out with a pet to thoroughly inspect it before making it available for an arriving guest.

Your business and kind words about all the wonderful amenities we offer are very important to us – thank you!

WV
Reviewed August 30, 2013

The hotel itself looks very grand from the outside and so does the main lobby and entrance. But the rooms are another story... at least the one we were in. First of all they put us in a room that was like the farthest room in the farthest hallway on the bottom floor away from everything and I know half those rooms were empty so I was disappointed that they did that to us. The room looks nice, but when you look close you realize how dirty and dingy it is for what you are paying. Also - if you're walking down the hallway you realize you can hear everything that is going on in every room whether it's kids yelling or a TV on or people talking, you can hear everything! So if you're looking for privacy I would think twice about staying here. The place is designed very odd, it's just not super convenient in terms of the lay out because everything is very spread out and there's only two elevators for access to all the rooms so it's a little confusing.

Other than that, the pool and hot tub are nice, the location of the hotel is pretty convenient, and it looks like they had very nice meeting rooms and accommodations for businesses/corporations for presentations, etc. We forgot things like razors, shaving cream, toothpaste, and they were more than happy to give us those things at the front desk.

Personally I would have to say I would probably not stay here again just because I feel like the price we paid was too high for what we got. If maybe we had been given a more updated/clean room that was closer to the main floor I would have appreciated more.

Room Tip: ask for a room close to the lobby
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank franmeran
Dear Franmeran,

My apologies for not meeting your expectations as a first time guest – it’s something we sincerely regret. We appreciate you bringing to our attention some details of your guestroom – it’s not even close to our standards, and must be addressed immediately. We strive to deliver the highest level of guest satisfaction for all our guests, but in your case, we clearly didn’t achieve what our #1 goal has always been – complete guest satisfaction. I will discuss your feedback with the appropriate departments in an effort to improve from your unfortunate experience, and I can assure you we will.

Regarding the property layout, we have details diagrams available at the front desk, and entrance points on each side of the property along with the two elevators noted. We are always willing to assist every guest 24/7 with their luggage.

If there’s an opportunity to speak with you off line about your visit, please let me know. We have a “Hospitality Promise” mission statement which I would like to share with you. I can be reached at rstuart@hiharrisburg.com. I did send you a message through TripAdvisor in an effort to speak directly with you – offering you the value you expected!

We appreciate your business and hope to have another opportunity to serve you again.

New York City, New York
Reviewed August 29, 2013

My visit and stay at this Holiday Inn was very enjoyable. On my visit with my family we were treated with much hospitality, General Manager Randall J Stewart is an asset to this establishment and willing to make your stay enjoyable . Great place to stay if visiting this area , very family oriented, awesome outdoor pool , great jacuzzi, indoor pool , exercise room, fantastic view from lobby entrance , great restaurant at premises, too many amenities to mention .but if you traveling to this area with family I recommend this place highly. I am looking forward in returning back to this location soon.
From Debbie & Harry Hernandez, Queens NY

Room Tip: I recommend the suites by the pool.
Dear Harry,

We are thrilled to read your stay was amazing. Our team is committed to providing an atmosphere of comfort and enjoyment for all our valued guests, and we want to do it at the very highest level possible. Our success is driven by a “whatever it takes” attitude, and our amenities are unequaled in the Harrisburg/Hershey market.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Your recommendation and plans to return in the future are much appreciated.

We are grateful for your business.

Sound Beach, New York
Reviewed August 28, 2013

My family has come here twice a year for the past 3 years. We always enjoy ourselves. The kids have a great time as well. They always make new friends with other kids that are staying here. We are always doing something...whether it's playing ping pong,Wii,the indoor pool,outdoor pool,hot tub,fitness room,playground,basketball,shuffle board, tennis, or even just the game room. We just love being here with such wonderful people!! Randy and his staff are just Fabulous!!!! Amber,Zac,Corrine, and Jada, are always going above and beyond to making our stay just so comfortable and warm. They have come to be a part of our family. We love the entire Holiday Inn Family they are always asking if we need anything, or is everything good. There is always a friendly greeting from each and every staff member you see. The restaurant is also very good. We always have a fun time in the dining room. The staff in there is always fun n friendly too. We would like to send our condolences to Randy and the entire staff on the passing of Justine. She was just an awesome lady. We will miss her!! We look forward to our next trip back to Hershey!!!!!!!

Room Tip: We have never had a bad room they are all great!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Randy S, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Harrisburg Hershey, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Allison,

Thank you for the wonderful review regarding your experience with us. We feel the same way you do – you’re part of our family. We are delighted you shared your view with the TripAdvisor community about how much you enjoy our friendly atmosphere, restaurant and great amenities – attributes that consistently receive high marks from our guests. I can assure you we’re always looking for ways to exceed the expectations of our valued guests, and strive to ensure their satisfaction is nothing less than 100% throughout their entire stay – goal accomplished.

We appreciate the acknowledgement of Justine – she was truly a valuable asset to our team, and is dearly missed.

Thank you for your business and loyalty. It’s has been a pleasure serving you and your family over the last 3 years. We look forward to do it for many years to come.