“Wish I could say more but...Eh”

Red Lion Hotel Harrisburg Hershey
Ranked #3 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Monroeville, NJ
“Wish I could say more but...Eh”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Stayed here with my daughter the weekend of January 11th. We were there with a very large group as this was the sponsor hotel for the weekend-long event. After reading all the reviews, I was excited to stay at this property. Unfortunately, the reviews didn't not hold up for us and most people I talked to from our group felt the same.
I would first like to caution anyone reading this review that may be handicapped or have difficulty walking. If your room number is anything past the 20's (ie: 220, 320, 420) be prepared to WALK. And I mean WALK. The hotel is a horseshoe shape with the lobby/meeting rooms/restaurants up front with the rooms being in the wings. There are TWO elevators. Both of which leave from the lobby area. So the higher numbered room have no quick or close by elevator service. This is not fun with a luggage cart full of stuff. Not to mention there are little inclines in the really long hallways. Again, not fun with the loaded cart. On that note, the elevators are small...again not fun with a loaded cart.
My father also stayed with the group. We asked for a handicapped accessible room. Which he got. ON THE 4TH FLOOR. Now, with what I just told you, How does a handicapped man get down from the 4th floor during an emergency? He can't take the steps (hence the handicap) and the elevators would be off limits during a fire? So...???? If you're handicap be sure to request a room on the 1st floor. We will be next year.
Front desk was very friendly and every housekeeper we came across smiled and greeted us. The 1st evening our group was referred to as "The Crazies" by a bar back. I quickly informed him that I was a part of "The Crazies" and he turned a lovely shade of red and finally got me the server I had requested about 20 minutes before hand. Breakfast the next morning left a lot to be desired. It took an HOUR for 2 breakfasts. The manager informed us that the cook is not use to so many people ordering from the menu. He's use to mainly cooking for the buffet. This doesn't seem acceptable to me AT ALL! The prices are high to. A bacon, egg and cheese sandwich on a muffin was $7. Across the street there is a Friendly's...go there. Faster, better prices, bigger variety.
The rooms were ok. A little updated needed especially the bathrooms. Everything is "tired". Carpets are stained. Hallway carpet looks like it's been there for 20 year it's so worn. But that's all cosmetic. Everything was clean and that's what's important. The beds are super comfortable and each bed has two pillow options. If you're a light sleeper and there is rain in the forecast, you may want to stay off the 4th floor in the wings. We arrived during a rain storm and it literally sounded like the rain was hitting the ceiling tiles in the room. Obviously ZERO insulation there.
Overall...It's just OK. It could have been worse but I think this property could benefit from an overhaul. They also need to re-think that whole Handicap Rooms on Upper Floors thing.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms have a balcony or patio. "Smaller" numbers for less walking. Ex (Room 4...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Randy S, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Harrisburg Hershey, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback of your recent experience with us. My sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by the handicapped room noted in your review. We have six (6) handicapped rooms on the first level, so I’m not sure why your request wasn’t honored, but I will investigate with the reservation department. Regarding luggage and baggage handling, we’re more than happy to deliver these items directly to your room. Breakfast experience, I will discuss your comments with the appropriate department – unacceptable and again, my apologies.

The performance areas you mentioned in your review enables us to target concern areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

I passed along your appreciation for a clean and comfortable guestroom to the housekeeping department – they were happy to hear of your satisfaction.

If I can be of any additional assistance, please feel free to contact me at rstuart@hiharrisburg.com.

Randall J. Stuart, CHA, CHME

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for the first time in December-midweek. I booked a King Bed Junior Suite since I was staying there with my husband, a friend, and my small dog. I requested a later checkout ahead of time since my husband would be working in the area through the next afternoon and Jaimee honored it without hesitation.

Katie checked us in but hadn't been informed that we had a pet so there were some problems getting an upgrade. However, she figured out a way to make it work and made the process very quick and easy. After taking a look at the room it didn't appear that we had an upgrade since it was still all one room (although quite sizable) with a sleeper sofa and a king bed (I was assuming we had been upgraded to a double bay) also, the guest bed was not made and linens were not provided.

I went down to inquire on this and she explained that typically we would have been upgraded to a double bay suite but last minute a family had extended their reservation for that room. We chatted for a while and I mentioned the sofa bed had not been made or linens provided despite the reservation being for three people and she was very apologetic. She gave us some breakfast tickets to make up for it which I found very nice. The whole exchange was very pleasant and heartfelt. It's more and more rare these days that someone in a customer service role actually provide customer service but in this case not only did Katie provide it but she also made me feel like it was important to her that I enjoy my stay there. She gave me her card and asked that I call her when I come back to the area for business so she could see to my needs with a pet and later checkout.

We went out for a bite and came back to find housekeeping hadn't yet brought the linens for the sofa bed and when I called down and spoke to Katie again she apologized, immediately called housekeeping, and the linens arrived in less than five minutes with more apologies. The king bed was very comfortable and according to my friend so was the sofa. The room was clean though it is an older hotel so it was showing some signs of age and dullness. The heater worked well and the place was quiet. The bathroom was clean and the shower had good pressure. Breakfast the next morning was very nice-waffles, eggs, bacon, sausage, breads, cereal, fresh fruit, and yogurt. We were well cared for by the extremely friendly staff who brought us coffee and tea and chatted with us. My husband took off for work with a coffee to go brought by our waitress, and my friend and I just relaxed and talked as the waitress grabbed us a coffee refill to take up to our room. I had a nice conversation with Justine and then was asked by a manager as I was walking by if there was anything he could help me with.

Overall the stay was very nice. Check out was fast and Katie took care of us again and was just as pleasant as the night before. Parking was ample and well lit at night. I would have rated five if the rooms had been newer or upgraded but it was clean and spacious. Most importantly though, there is a great commitment to the guest in this hotel and it's is a sign of a wonderfully trained and caring staff and great management. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Stella78
Randy S, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Harrisburg Hershey, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Thank you for posting a review of your recent experience with us. Your time and courtesies in writing this review for us, and the TripAdvisor community, is very much appreciated. We value such feedback and welcome any opportunity to improve. I’m glad the service recovery offered by Katie was executed with a sincere commitment to make you happy. We realize sometimes minor conveniences occur, but we’re committed to correcting them quickly and efficiently. I will make sure Katie gets the recognition she deserves for providing exceptional customer service skills.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we’re grateful to read you will definitely stay with us again.

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 19, 2013

My Hubby and I had just become full time Rv'ers this past summer in anticipation of his retirement this spring and traveling the USA. Due to some issues with our motorhome it had to be put into the garage for more than just a few days. Instant stress, Where do we stay in the meantime? Holiday Inn Harrisburg East to the rescue. We could have picked any Hotel to stay even another Holiday Inn, but, the staff and service we receive here are excellent! The rooms are big , and allow our beloved dog Belle to be with us, The pool is always warm and the hot tub always hot, The maids are friendly and go out of their way to make our stay comfortable. I would not stay at any other hotel but this one while in the area. When the Hubby explained to Randy and Jamie our situation , they welcomed us home with open arms. SEE No Stress !! Thank You

Room Tip: We love the outside balcony rooms , and we have our favorite, which we are in now !! Great for our...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Randy S, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Harrisburg Hershey, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
It’s a pleasure reading how much you and your husband enjoyed our accommodations and service – thank you. We realize you have many choices when it comes to lodging, and we sincerely appreciate your business. We hope Belle enjoyed the location her “pet friendly” room. Thank you very much for acknowledging the efforts of our room attendants and the housekeeping department – they will be pleased to hear you were happy.

We look forward to your return visit.

Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 19, 2013

With over 100 attendees, our annual meeting last week was the best yet. From first checking function space availability for our program (ask for Ron Hess, he DOES know best) through to our end of day cocktail mixer, everything executed perfectly including last minute changes. Dana in the Catering dept. designed a menu to meet our need for a Celiac-friendly menu with vegetarian choices, too. Tony, the banquet captain, is always a true professional. In an age when good, old fashioned customer service has begun to wane, Holiday Inn Harrisburg East remains at the top of customer-friendly association meetings. We'll be back in 2014.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for writing a review of your recent experience with us. Ron, Dana and Tony are exceptional at their profession, and always do it with a smile – thanks for acknowledging their talents. We are extremely proud you view us as #1 in customer-friendly service.

We value your business and are grateful you’re coming back in 2014.

Laurel, Maryland
Reviewed January 17, 2013

This hotel has a great location, situated near Harrisburg and Hershey. The plaza across the street and surrounding restaurants are very convenient. I stay here every time I come to Harrisburg. The rooms are very spacious and the fron desk staff is friendly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Randy S, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Harrisburg Hershey, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Thanks for posting a review of your most recent visit with us. Location, convenience, resort type amenities and friendly service are consistent likes with all our guests. We value your business and look forward to your next visit.

Thank you!
Mansfield, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 14, 2013

My first experience at the Holiday Inn in Harrisburg was phenomenal. Everyone who worked there was very kind, courteous and professional. The food and the bar was very good that was complimented with the friendly staff. The morning after the rodeo celebration Justine waited on me and did an excellent job. She is one of the reasons why i will always stay at this hotel if i stay in the Harrsiburg area again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Randy S, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Harrisburg Hershey, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
We are delighted in the fact that you were extremely pleased with the accommodations we provided you – thanks for the nice review. Our staff is dedicated to making sure all our guests receive fantastic service, and they will enjoy reading what you had to say. I shared your feedback with Justine, and she was very happy to know her service made such a positive impact on your stay.

We value your business and hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed here after the farm show. We chose this hotel because they were hosting the rodeo after party. They had the ballroom set up with plenty of space and tables as well as 4 bars. They handled the flow of people with ease. Linda was working the bar I went to. The entire staff worked hard. The room was very nice. Bedding was comfortable. Food from the restaurant was great and reasonably priced. I can't wait for next year to stay again.

• Stayed January 2013
Randy S, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Harrisburg Hershey, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
We appreciate the feedback of your recent experience – thank you. We’re thrilled to know you were pleased with the every aspect of your stay with us. The rodeo folks were awesome and delightful to work with.

See you again next year!