“decaying”

Ranked #7 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Yardley, PA
“decaying”
Reviewed March 19, 2005

Our stay at the Hilton Harrisburg was disappointing. Many things were broken or falling apart, and eventually we got so tired of dealing with the maintenance staff that we just put up with it and checked out as early as possible. There were too many nuisances for a first-rate hotel. And here's a tip: don't believe them when their website says the room comes with a dataport. It doesn't. They claim to have a wireless network (which I couldn't get to work), but the room doesn't have a dataport--and there's a difference.

On the positive side: The staff was cordial and often went out of their way to help us. The restaurant, Raspberries, was better than we were expecting; my duck was dry, but everything else we had, over two nights, was quite tasty. The location is also ideal if you need to be near the Capitol.

• Stayed March 2005
3 Thank DrGoldin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Arabic first
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed March 16, 2005

This hotel was in a good location for my business meetings in downtown Harrisburg, and it is connected to a small mall with food court. Multiple conventions and conferences were being held at the hotel over the course of my stay. Overall I don't think there are a lot of great hotel choices in the downtown area, but the Hilton was adequate. The room style was a bit on the older side, and the bed was not one of the newer, plusher types (ala Westin and Sheraton), but it was respectable. Room and bathroom were clean, and hotel staff were nice. Had breakfast in the hotel restaurant, and found the buffet a bit disappointing - limited selection of hot foods and they appeared to be sitting out for a long, long time without being refreshed. Service was pretty bad - I had to get my own coffee refills. I did enjoy an excellent dinner at the hotel's upscale restaurant. It was really imaginative, well-presented food and service was great. They have a "wine flight" which is actually 3 full glasses (that's what they poured for me) of special wines, and a bargain for $15. Overall the stay was fine, but I expected nicer rooms for a hotel rated as 4 star.

• Stayed February 2005, traveled on business
2 Thank hliss
Lock Haven, PA
Reviewed March 8, 2005

Rather than stay at a hotel in Swatara, we opted for a Saturday night stay over in the downtown Harrisburg Hilton. There was some kind of gospel convention going on, which made the lobby very crowded and the elevators (three only???) were slow and always full.

The valet service needs a lot of improvement. We ordered our car to go out to dinner, waited the requisite 30 minutes and came down to find that it wasn't there and apparently hadn't been requested. This made us late for our dinner reservation but thankfully, our table was still available.

The room was very nice, except there was only enough cream, sugar, etc. for one cup of coffee when you could brew four at the in-room coffee maker.

Very disappointing for a Hilton Hotel.

• Stayed February 2005
1 Thank redhen18
Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 5, 2004

This hotel was nice. I went for a romantic evening and booked a suite on the Concierge floor. The lobby is impressive, the decor refined and the rooms spotless, however things could have used some work. My biggest complaint would be that my car was broken into in their parking garage and the hotel refused to take any responsiblity. I had paid $20.00 for valet parking fee and was staying in a suite on the concierge floor. I had a portable CD player and all my CD's stolen from my car, that was locked and the items concealed under the seats. The front desk & management stated plainly that any damage done to vehicles or property was not their responsiblity.

I mentioned that I was staying in a suite on the Concierge floor, this floor boasts several ammenities including no access by guest from other floors, you must have a room key to that floor to be permitted access to that floor. The floor also boasts mini-bar & fridge. The fridge did not work and was empty. Front desk no help, they suggested I get something from room service. The floor also boasts an hors'devors hour, I couldn't find it and wondered around the floor for 25 minutes, with no help.

It seems that you truly don't get what you pay for. IF you stay at this hotel you will enjoy the convience of downtown harrisburg, but don't pay for any extras, you are better off brining your own snacks and leaving your car unlocked in the street.

Nice hotel, but don't take a nice car or leave ANYTHING inside it.

4 Thank Tiff1421
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed August 23, 2004

My husband and I were set to take a romantic weekend "mini-break", but one of our pets became ill and needed daily medication. The kids already had plans to visit relatives, so instead of a trip to the Caribbean we went across the river to Harrisburg and stayed at the Hilton.

Next to the Hotel Hershey, the Hilton is the nicest hotel in Central Pennsylvania. The rooms are nicely furnished and the restaurants are very good. It's a "class" establishment, for sure.

However...I too believe that the housekeeping could have been better. I don't like finding other people's hair on the bathroom floor - and there was a lot of it! I don't know how housekeeping missed it.

Also, the first room we were assigned to had a broken lock. It was a good thing that my husband tried to open the door after we closed it (on our way to dinner). The front desk had to reassign us to another room. Check your locks from the outside before you leave your room!

The pool/small fitness area is on the third floor. While the pool was a decent size, the water was very chilly for the middle of August. They really should have upped the heater's thermostat.

I would recommend the "self park" pass option for $6.00/day, instead of paying $18.00 for valet service. The parking garage is connected to the hotel's second floor, so there is no need to walk outside.

The lowest rate we found for this room was with the AAA discount. I have a Hilton Honors card, but no upgrades were available. (So don't count on that option...)

All in all a nice weekend. If you visit Harrisburg, check out Second Street's "Restaurant Row". You'll have many wonderful dining options to choose from. Harrisburg has a decent downtown nightlife, as well. The city is home to a thriving music culture and close to Hersheypark/PA Dutch Country, etc. The "River Walk" is very enjoyable and, if you're fortunate enough to visit over the Memorial Day, 4th of July or Labor Day weekends, you'll find a wonderful festival atmosphere on Front Street.

• Stayed January 2005
5 Thank waswild
Virginia
Reviewed July 10, 2004

The lobby of this hotel is very nice. The hotel is in a convenient location in the city, but also close to Hershey attractions. (15 min drive)
The rooms were spacious, but housekeeping could do a better job. For a four star hotel, I was dissappointed in the old mattress in my room and the dated bathrooms. I expected a higher quality. The hotel itself is a nice place and the staff I encountered at the desk and at the concierge breakfast were very accomodating.
I would stay here again, but I would not pay the rack rates. AAA offers a good discount.

• Stayed July 2004
3 Thank movedsouth
Reviewed May 31, 2004

We made a very last minute Memorial Day weekend reservation of a king suite with pull-out sofa. Thankfully they could accommodate us. The room was fine and the hotel is clean and well-kept. The hotel restaurant was very accommodating to our family of five (with a sometimes rambunctious toddler) and the buffet was reasonably priced. Valet parking @ $18 a day was a bit overpriced, I thought. But that's really my only complaint. Harrisburg is a nice town and this hotel is a good choice if you are visiting Hershey Park which is about 15 miles away.

• Stayed May 2004