“Terrible Stay at the Hilton Harrisburg”
Review of Hilton Harrisburg

Hilton Harrisburg
Ranked #7 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed January 11, 2013

From the point of trying to locate the Hilton Harrisburg to my departure on the second day, It was a terrible experience. There are two places in Harrisburg, PA with the address One Second Street; one being across from the post office, and the second being the Hilton Harrisburg. Upon arrival, I was not asked if I was an HHonors member. I had to remind the staff member; all she did was nod and type my number into the computer. I also said I cannot valet park, and must self park only. I said it to her twice, just to make sure. She acknowleged my request, gave me my "self Parking card", and I went on my way. After I checked out, I noticed that she had charged me for the Valet parking rate. My colleagues who did self parking, informed me that they had the self parking rate on their bill. The parking garage is not an easy place to get to. The garage is connected to the Hilton through a common walkway. Upon entering the Hilton, one must walk through the Ballroom area. Oh yes, one has to take two elevators to get to the car in the garage. The entrance for the garage is down a tiny alley. On my second night at the Hilton, an event was underway in the ballroom; there was the challenge of finding a parking spot in the garage. Driving up and down the levels of the garage twice, I finally found a spot on the 7th floor of the garage.

Room Tip: Don't stay at the Hilton Harrisburg
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Phillip N, Manager at Hilton Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Good morning, I hope you had a wonderful weekend!
Thank you for your recent visit to the Hilton Harrisburg and for taking the time to review your stay both on TripAdvisor and via the Hilton Survey. I apologize for the poor experience while you were with us. Please expect to be contacted by a member of the Guest Assistance team regarding your Hilton Survey response. In the mean time, if there is anything that we can do for you please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly and ask for the Manager on Duty.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Harrisburg

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for one night over the weekend. Front desk told us since the EL was closed so she didn't upgrade us to the Executive floor. We had two standard connecting rooms. The room was clean but showed a lot of age. The ceiling in the bathroom was about seven feet high. We had breakfast next morning in the café at the lobby level. The breakfast was free but we had to wait for about one hour for the food (were told there was only one person working in the kitchen).

Room Tip: Parking is $10 per day
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Phillip N, Manager at Hilton Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Happy New Year! Thank you for your recent visit to the Hilton Harrisburg and for taking the time to share your experience with us and with others. I apologize for the delay in your breakfast service, our kitchen staffing should not have effect on your dining experience. We begin our guest room renovations later this month, I hope you will stop in for a visit and see the result when we are finished!

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Really nice hotel. Visited days before Christmas and it was quite festive. Plent of restaurants within walking distance. Clean rooms with nice amenities. The only downside was the valet took quite some time to retrieve the car.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your recent visit to our hotel and for taking the time to review your visit! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. I do apologize for the delay in retrieving your car. I hope we will see you again soon!

Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Staff are very friendly and professional ..
Room is comfortable with a great 7th floor view..
We had a last minute plan to get out for a few days. We wanted to switch rooms and staff at front desk were attentive and very helpful. Valet was on the ball and also had some handy advice where to go and things to see.
Part of a great stay in this town includes a couple nights at the Hilton

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Having stayed here on business Numerous times over the years, I was pleasantly surprised that the property continues to be well maintained. Parking is convenient and connected to the property. Is secure for a woman traveling alone. Restaurants within the hotel are varied and good.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

I'm on a 6 month assignment living here so this is my November 2012 review (my first).

Generally, they try and sell themselves on service and so far they are succeeding. The facilities are dated, but getting ready to be remodeled so exactly how they do that without hurting the customer experience will be interesting to report on.

The location is great and the amenities are what is expected of a Hilton, not above expectations mind you. Perhaps the remodel will up their game a bit.

So long as they keep the service level high, and the facilities clean and serviceable, they will have my recommendation. I may not be a professional hotel critic, but I am a Hilton Diamond and living Mon thru Thurs here till May so I'll know alittle something about this hotel.

I will review December next time so keep it up.

-Terrapin '92

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Stayed for one night after Thanksgiving. The hotel was easy to find and despite some of the other reviews about parking problems, had no issues finding or getting from the garage to the lobby. It is a bit of a walk, but it is all inside, so no big deal. The hotel lobby is dark and could use some light. We got a room that was having some work done as we arrived, but the tech was very quick and we were in the room in under 5 mins. The room overlooked another building and parking garage, but this hotel is downtown so wasn't expecting too much. We had a drink in the bar, which was very, very dark with one small TV. It was in need of some type of upgrade. Overall, the hotel was okay for one night. The street that the hotel sits on has many bars and restaurants, but can be a little sketchy at night so please be careful and stay on 2nd Street.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the river if that is important to you.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple