“Not bad, just stay away from the 'storage' room.”

Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg East
Ranked #30 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
OTTAWA
“Not bad, just stay away from the 'storage' room.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2010

This was an older five stories hotel that has been remodeled, but still shown signs of wear and tear. Room was clean and beds were comfortable. Our first Room 515 was right next to the elevator. After complaining about a very very loud noise and vibration (which probably last for an hour), we're moved to Room 500 down the hall, next to ice and vending machines. The loud noise actually came from the storage room (an electrical room in reality), not the elevator. Staffs were very aware of the noise situation when they changed room for us. Hotel was at a good location for restaurants and shops. Staffs also provided us an excellent list of restaurants with directions from the hotel. Breakfast selection was good, except sliced ham was bone dry and inedible. Pets were allowed with a $15 fee.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
skier67, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg East, responded to this review, March 23, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments in regards to your stay with us back in December. I was pleased to hear that our hotel was clean with comforatable beds. We take great pride in being very attentive to our guests. For this reason, I was very disappointed to hear that you were not better accommodated after being disturbed with a noisy location near the elevator/mechanical room and then being placed next to the vending area. Your comments provided very valuable material in our recent staff training meeting. Again, thank you, your feedback allows us to improve our customer service to prevent a re-occurrence in the future. Please contact me directly during you next visit to the Harrisburg/Hershey area and I'll assure you a more quiet location!

Regards,

James Gordon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Cheltenham, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2010

The room was clean, the free breakfast was fine, but most importantly when I dropped my engagement ring down the bathroom sink drain they had someone up who retrieved it in less than 5 minutes. Talk about wonderful customer service.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
skier67, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg East, responded to this review, March 15, 2011
Dear Guest,

I was glad to hear that you had a very comfortable stay at our hotel during your visit with us back in November. However, I was most pleased, and proud, to hear of the effort made by one of our staff members to "save the day" and retrieve your engagement ring.

Thank you for kind comments and I hope to see you visit us again in the future!

Regards,

James Gordon
Philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2010

This is a pretty cookie-cutter mid-priced hotel experience. There was nothing objectionable, nor memorable, about our stay. About 15 minutes to Hershey Park, if that's your destination. The rooms seemed a bit on the small side; this was obviously a "rebranded" motel, so perhaps Holiday Inn's room-size standards were slightly compromised. I have top status in priorityclub which would normally get me a room upgrade, but every room is the same size (small). Breakfast is OK; the typical you-only-eat-it-because-it's-free "deluxe continental" that is so common among American hotels in this category. Their "signature" cinnamon rolls are the tastiest option. The coffee is drinkable (the orange juice is not). Bottomline: stay here if you get a deal, but otherwise consider the many other motel options in the area.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2010

We stopped here for a night while on a family road trip. We found it to be not quite as good overall as other Holiday Inn Express's we've stayed at--and we've been to a lot. First of all, it was supposed to be a non-smoking room. Or so we were told. I woke up at 3 a.m. bothered by a mild tobacco smoke smell in the bed (mattress?). It bothered me so much that I got up and started looked for my bottle of perfume to spray on the sheets to try and mask the odor. It didn't really work. The next morning we complained to the front desk and there was some hedging about the issue. We later noticed that our door didn't have the non-smoking sign on it. Perhaps the room had been a smoking one? Or the mattress had been taken from smoking room. There was no ash tray. It was unclear. Also, there is one elevator and it was JAMMED. We could barely get down to breakfast, and it was nearly impossible to leave with our luggage. This hotel seems really busy, and needs at least 2 elevators. Wouldn't waste our time and $$ going back.

Glen Rock, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2010

Quick 2 night stay here....NOT GOOD
major pros/cons
1-unfortunately booked on hotwire ...paid 95$ and was stuck in a smoking room. Room stank and really ruined our trip for us as we had no desire to ever be in the room. Our clothes stank too....I spoke with the staff at check-in who said there was nothing they could do..it was booked directly thru hotwire and they were full for the weekend.They let us check the room out first which was nice but i couldnt start dealing with an argument and no hotel room after traveling hours with the kids. HI advice was to call hotwire as they (the hotel itself)couldnt do anything. Anyway , we resigned ourselves to sleep only at HI Expressand get out of room except for sleep hours. I should say the staff up front was good. The woman who checked us in was very sweet (vanesssa??) and checked out room with us . She also said that altho priceline did this to someone else too this weekend , she would call if any room came up (no call came ..but she apologized the next day that there were no other rooms). The gentleman at the desk who seemed like the manager basically blamed it on hotwire and never even said sorry about the situation..more or less implying hotwire guests dont matter and were stuck wherever. We asked for something to help with room smell (ionizer etc) and a clerk sprayed 3 squirts of fabreze!
2-other room issues...
2 dead bugs in bathtub ..silverfish?? ..upon arrival .front desk lady came in to verify and sent clerk to clean
nonworking refrigerator..
clerk tried to fix twice then eventually replaced
horrible tv--
blurry to the extent that scroll on bottom (for tv menu or mlb scores) couldnt be read....all images horribly tainted orange with non working ability to change color, contrast etc
Didnt even bother to tell front desk about tv, as believe it or not we never complain(bugs , smoking are conditions i have to say something!), plus tried to be out of room as much as possible.
3-as a plus ...front desk guy Scott on overnight is very professional and friendly and greets everyone with a big hello in the lobby. Also included breakfast was okay...cereal, store muffins /store bagels/, cereal, bananas/apples, some mediocre hot food , fine coffee.
coffee/tea free 24/d in lobby along with cookies
free wifi throughout hotel was good
4 -some restaurants nearby...outback, texas roadhouse, mcd, if needed
5- outdoor pool was okay. used it upon arrival to get out of room b4 hershey preview.
Water fine , there was however a case of finished beer which looked to have been there for some time upon full table. Workout room small, looked clean
6-about 15 minutes from hershey without traffic on highways. Harrisburg can get traffic especially when leaving hershey can be bad and add significantly to drive time...As luck would have it for us, we were never in a rush to get back to the hotel!
A MISS

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank nydoc
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2010

My friend and I were traveling with both young children and teens to Hershey Park. We did not want to stay in the Hershey hotels since they are ridiculously expensive. Being a Priority Club Card member came in handy, considering I had forgotten I was a member and had never used the membership before. We paid $134 in total for a room with (2) queen beds. The service was great. When we arrived and went to our room to settle in our room key card was not activated. So I walked down the steps to avoide the long elevator wait- we were on the 2nd floor anyway. The cards were reset within a matter of seconds. We called for extra towels and they were brought to us promptly. The complimentary breakfast was decent. No waffle machine but the basics served its purpose: milk/skim milk, OJ, apple juice, a variety of cereal, cinnamon rolls, biscuits, sausage, eggs, oatmeal, muffins/bagels/bread. There is a McDonalds literally next door that you can walk to in addition to other eateries in the area. The pool is small but what kid would complain. Everyone enjoyed the water, kids and adults alike. The pool is surrounded by greenery and trees that hang over the pool so there were a few things floating but nothing serious. The business center is right in the middle of the lobby- which I thought was odd but it came in handy when using Mapquest and looking for things in the area. The pictures are accurate (Expedia) in showing the recent renovations. On chech out day we did not recieve the annoying calls like some hotels where they are constantly reminding you of check out time. We WILL back since we did not get to experience Hershey to its fullest in the (2) days we were there. The hotel is a short drive to Hershey.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2010

We arrived at the Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg East Hotel on Tuesday night and stayed there for two days. Breakfast was very good and in general the hotel facilities were in good shape. My intention of weitting this review was also to share my personal experience after finding out I left my purse (with personal stuff) in the room. I called the hotel very late that night and talked to the front desk, a gentleman kindly advised me to call next day in the morning and address my request to housekeeping. I called Friday morning, received prompt answer about the whereabouts of my purse, it was found and left with Vanessa at the front desk of the hotel. After an hour I went to the hotel, picked up my purse, it was in perfect conditions, and more important of all nothing was missing. Again, thank you very much for your customer service and follow-up.