“Needs work”

Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg East
Ranked #31 of 51 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed August 19, 2013

At the time of our stay only ground floor rooms were available. Although our room was nonsmoking, the room carpet etc smelled of smoke, and clearly, this had been a smoking room in the past. The flat screen tv was plugged into a nonworking socket, and when we moved the socket, the cable was not working and the reception was terrible. The room adjacent to us had plywood nailed over the window. There was mildew in the corners of the shower. The one thing this hotel had going for it was that the front desk staff was pleasant.

Room Tip: Ground floor nonsmoking rooms smelled of smoke. But from what we heard from others we were with on...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg East, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Dear pittsburghmom01,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are glad you found our staff to be pleasant. Please allow us to apologize for the experience you had with your room accommodations that fell below your expectations. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Anthony M

Reviewed August 15, 2013

One drawer and one cabinet door had missing knobs on them. I found one of the knobs in one of the drawers. One of the queen beds had black stains on the sheets. The front desk staff were friendly as were housekeeping. There was only one washer and one dryer for the entire hotel and was always being used by one guest or another. The elevator took a very long time to arrive at your floor. The doors to the rooms shut pretty loudly. I would not come back here or recommend this place to my friends.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Chloe L
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg East, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Dear Chloe L,

Thank you for your feedback of our property. We strive to provide the best possible experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. I am sorry that on this day you found your stay to be less than satisfactory due to the condition of the room amenities and elevator service. I have taken note and wish to thank you for your valuable feedback as this is our best resource of improving our services.

Once again, thank you for posting your comments.

Zelyn N

Reviewed August 14, 2013

I did a weekend stay here at this holiday inn and It was just awesome! The front desk lady, brandy shartzer, made sure I felt very welcomed, made sure i had the correct room, made me laugh, and held a conversation with me and made me feel very comfortable with my stay there. She was just all out awesome and made sure I had a great time!! I'm looking forward to visiting again next June!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed August 13, 2013

First off this hotel has the most wonderful staff out of any of the hotels in the area. Brandy, the front desk clerk its always pleasant and very informative on things to do, places to eat our directions to wherever I might need to go. I have been staying here often (multiple times a month) for the past 3 years. The whole staff has become part of my family I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else. The rooms are cozy and updated with flat screen Tv's. The fitness room and pool are great amenities. The breakfast is great, I'm a sucker for biscuits and gravy. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 13, 2013

excellent place to stay! the rooms were clean. very courteous staff. Brandy was very helpful and made me feel right at home. i would certainly stay here the next time i am in the area and would recommend this to my friends.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Although this hotel needs an overhaul.... I can cancel out my negative feelings towards housekeeping when Mary, the bartender/gm comes in at 4pm! We have been seeing her during our annual visits, sometimes bi-annual, for the past 8 years for an Irish Dance competition and it's like seeing someone you've known all your life. She spends time chatting with us and catching up on the past year, yet all the while managing crowds in spurts, especially when she is swamped after 9!
She seems to have that certain expertise dealing with any customer, and/or staff!
She is a hidden gift to Holiday Inn. For the most part, we do not look forward to this very intense weekend, encompassed with a very long day in the ballroom, but knowing Mary is working, helps ease the pain! She make my stay worth it!

Dee Adams

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg East, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear Dee A,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us, we value your loyalty to our brand and hotels. I appreciate your kind words about Mary. Our staff does their utmost to provide you with excellent service and an optimized stay. Therefore we are delighted to hear that you experienced this as such. We strive to give great and impressive service to all of our guests and it makes us happy to read we exceeded your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to our establishment.

Krysllin G

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Stayed here for two nights with family. The room was clean and comfortable but the rest of the hotel was dirty. The same garbage and debris remained in the hallway near our room door our entire visit. Hallway carpets were noticeably dirty as were the vending and ice machine areas. Pool area was clean. Breakfast was a disaster each morning due partly to the number of people trying eat at the same time- I ate breakfast at 6:30 the second day which was better that at 8:00. Staff was nice enough and accommodating. However, we requested an early check in which is always hit or miss, and had some problems. We called the morning of our arrival date to confirm the early check in and were told that the room was indeed ready and that we could check in anytime we’d like. We told them that we were still travelling but expected to be their around noon and they indicated that would be fine. When we arrived two hours later they did not have a room and were told to go eat lunch. We checked in around 5:00 instead. The elevator is SLOW, we were on the 4th floor and used the stairs most of our visit. For $100 it was OK, but next time I will spend a few more dollars and stay elsewhere

Room Tip: choose a room on the first floor- elevator is slow
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg East, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear MAPAMC,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I am pleased to know that you had a satisfactory stay at our hotel and apologized for the issues you have encountered during your stay with us. I appreciate feedback that we receive, whether positive and negative to ensure we provide the best level of service and facilities that we can give to our guests. Thank you again for your review and I hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Krysllin G.