New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg East

Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg East
Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Smiths Falls, Canada
“A reasonable option - good location & price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

We booked this hotel through Hotwire - very pleased with the result. We were looking for a convenient place to stay near the I81 with some nearby restaurant options in Harrisburg on a family trip back to Canada. Everything worked out fine - easy check-in, pleasant staff, OK room. Not the newest kid on the block, but I would stay there again in similar circumstances. Recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

I always have many choices staying in Harrisburg for events at the Farm Complex on Cameron Street. Since I have a rewards card and love when a hotel has complimentary breakfast, this one looked good, so I thought. Our arrival was flawless with my reservation, and our room was clean and comfortable. I did notice the elevators were dirty in the evening and the morning. The shocker was when the 3 of us, in the morning at 9:15, went to breakfast. First, the hallways were a disaster with cups and stuff. When we arrived to have breakfast, there was nothing left, except for some bagels and bread. There were 2 tables with people eating, but the rest were empty and not clean. The counter where the food was suppose to be had cereal all over it and other leftovers. We all looked at each other like, "Are you kidding me?!". I walked right over to the main desk and and asked if food would be filled. She immediatelt went back to the kitchen. As we waited in the breakfast area, a woman at the table overheard me saying to my friends how gross this was. She looked up at me and agreed with me. A worker came out out of the kitchen and looked at us like we just bothered him. As we stood there he started attempting to get more food doing at at snail pace and looked at us again with an attitude. As we looked at how dirty & a disaster the area was we looked at each other and decided to go out for breakfast. We went on the elevator and by the time we got our baggage to leave and came back down, I looked in the breakfast area and laughed since no food was there......I would have given a higher rating but the poor breakfast service and staff there left us aggravated.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank JerseyHorseLover
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg East, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear JerseyHorseLover,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I am pleased to know that you find our rooms clean and comfortable. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay and for the inconvenience the overall cleanliness of our breakfast bar may have caused. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service and for that reason, your comments will surely be looked into. I appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention as this is our best resource in providing guest satisfaction.

I hope this would not deter you from choosing us again in the future.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Catskill NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

I had car trouble on the highway and needed a tow. I found out I was going to be stuck in Harrisburg for the night and started calling hotels. I called this one and Tracy was understanding, caring and very compationate to my situation. She made sure to express that I would not have any worries and she would see me when I got there. The staff was very nice but when Tracy heard I was there, she came right over and greeted me and asked me how I was. She went above and beyond with her gift of caring. I felt so invited and so cared for that I wanted to stay a few nights just because. :-) Thank you everyone at the hotel but I specially thank Tracy for going that extra mile and being so free spirited! Tracy - you're an asset to the company and I thank you!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Altoona, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

I called in at 6am asking to check in early. The guy at the front desk (Scott I believe), said yes without hesitating. He also gave us a military rate since my husband is in the army, which was very much appreciated. Our little dog was allowed to stay also, which is awesome. Its very hard to find a nice hotel thats pet friendly. My only complaint is the bed skirt on the bed was a little dirty, which wasn't a huge deal.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amanda L
NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

We booked a 2 night stay last minute this past weekend so my son could join his team and play in the weekend tournament. The hotel was clean and comfortable. Front desk staff was very friendly. Would def stay there again. Close to many amenities.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Nazareth, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

I must say the hotel may not be new But the service is great! Mandy is so helpful every time I come here she is so willing to help and make sure my stay is great. The whole staff is happy and is willing to accommodate there guest as best as possible. The internet works well never had an issue with it and for a continental breakfast it is not bad. Also Every time I have stayed there they seem to be doing some type of renovation (noting major to disturb your stay) but to keep it clean and up to date. There is no room service or spa that is why that is rated 1 on my chart.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Saratoga Springs, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night and had an enjoyable stay. We had a warm welcome when we arrived in the late evening which put us in a good mood after a long drive (the free cookies helped as well). The room was spacious and most importantly clean. Beds were comfortable and the heating system worked well. The only issue was the shower head was pointed out towards the bathroom floor for some reason which wasn't noticed until after the shower warmed up and the bathroom floor was soaked. The free breakfast in the morning was your standard Holiday Inn breakfast though the food looked and tasted a bit old (other than the cinnamon rolls) by the time I had breakfast. Hotel is also easy on and off the highway. I would definitely stay at this hotel as it provided a good nights sleep and the staff was friendly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple