“Probably better hotels in area...”

Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg East
Ranked #32 of 51 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Small room. Cramped bathroom with nonworking heat light. Dog odor in hallway. Average breakfast. However, it was quiet and location was good.

Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank peter s
skier67, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg East, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for selecting our hotel during your recent visit to our area. Our staff members take great pride to ensure that our guests receive quality, clean and comfortable accommodations during their stay. For this reason, I was greatly disappointed to learn of your experience with us. Please be assured that your comments have been brought to the attention of our Maintenance Engineer and Executive Housekeeping Manager, and additional staff training is being conducted to eliminate future occurrences.

I was pleased that you found our location quiet and convenient and I hope that will stop back, during your next visit to the Harrisburg/Hershey area, to give another try to redeem ourselves. Please feel free to contact me personally at (717)-561-8100 if you would like to discuss this further.

Reviewed February 13, 2012

We stopped here on our way from NYC to GA. The location is great right of the interstate. Plenty of resturants close by to eat dinner at. The rooms were clean, hotel had nice decor. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
skier67, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg East, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us during your quick trip passing thru our area. I am very pleased that your stay was a very positive experience and that you would definitely stay with us again in the future. Our team members take great pride in providing clean accommodations and superior service, and they will be most pleased to learn of your experience with us! We hope that will visit us again in the future.

Reviewed January 20, 2012

There are many good points for this hotel:
- good location with several stores and restaurants nearby
- nice large lobby area
- large room with comfy beds, nice work area
- everything worked properly (fridge, LCD tv, heating unit, WiFi)
- fair size breakfast area with good breakfast items
However there were two points that lowered my rating.
The check in took a long time. There was one staff person behind the counter and 2 people ahead of me with many questions to ask checking in. After dealing with the people and a phone call I did not find the staff very friendly. I should have been acknowledged earlier or another person should have been present. Also no mention of my priority club membership. This may have been a rare occasion but it happened this time.
I found the room especially the bathroom (eg blackened grout) needed a sprucing up (eg paint job).
If and when in the area again I will try this hotel once more and hopefully I'll be able to rate it higher.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

I truly appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I was very pleased that, overall, you found our hotel to be very appealing and our location convenient. I would like to apologize for the lengthy process at check-in time and also not being greeted appropriately. Being in the hospitality industry, this is of great concern to me and will be addresses immediately with all team members. Also, please be assured that your comments regarding the condition of your room have been forwarded to our engineering department and they have begun a maintenance program to address these concerns. Again, thank you for your comments and we hope that you will return and visit us again during your next visit to the Harrisburg/Hershey area.

Reviewed January 17, 2012

Stayed two nights and everything was great. The night lady Diane was more than helpful, she was great!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
skier67, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg East, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent business trip to the Harrisburg/Hershey area. I was very pleased to read your review of our hotel and that we were able to exceed your expectations. Yes, Diane is truly a hospitality professional and guest service leader at our hotel. She will be very proud to see this review. Again, thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to leave your comments. I hope that you will visit us again in the very near future.

Reviewed January 5, 2012

The Holiday Inn/ Harrisburg East is a nice property in a convenient location. Staff are friendly and helpful.

Located just off Union Deposit Road, it's convenient to a nearby shopping strip with an Outback Steak House. A second mall with a TGIF Fridays and a Lowes is on the other side of Union Deposit Road.

Room furnishings are modern and well maintained. Textured wall paper is used in the rooms and the public spaces. The downside to using textured wall paper is that it shows subpar patch work. I did notice a couple of patched holes stood out against the nice mahogany textured wall paper in the men's rest room. And, the sink in the lobby men's restroom was cracked.

There was a small hair-line crack in the on/off light switch in the bathroom of my room. It's possible that these cracks are a sign of the volume of traffic the property experences. It's also possible that the maintenance budget is smaller than the hotel warrants given the large volume of traffic it handles.

Fitness room and equipment are well maintained.

Nevertheless, the front line Reception Desk and room maintenance staff place a warm, helpful and friendly face on this property. The attributes of the staff dwarf the minor signs of wear and tear evident in the physical hotel property.

Room Tip: I was on the fifth floor facing the street. Occasionally, I heard truck noises from traffic passing...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
skier67, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg East, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2012

Dear Guest,

I want to thank you for taking the time to post this review and give us your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I'm very pleased to hear that you found our hotel team members to be warm & friendly, and our hotel to be well maintained. I also want to thank you for informing us of the few maintenance issues that need to be addressed. The feedback we receive from our guests is a great training tool for our team members and also places focus on items that we need to attend to first, as seen through our guests eyes! Also, great point regarding the traffic noise. Your comment will be noted in our next operations meeting with our Guest Service team members. We appreciate your business and we hope that you will visit us again during your next visit to the Harrisburg/Hershey area.

Reviewed January 3, 2012

My family and I stayed for 5 nights, the hotel decor was very nice, the staff was very friendly and the property was clean & well maintained. Vanessa was very helpful with our reservation and went out of her way to ensure our stay was hassle-free. We will stay here again for sure.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
skier67, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harrisburg East, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2012

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for staying with us and leaving such a wonderful review of our hotel. I'm so pleased to hear that Vanessa has very helpful during your stay with us. She is an awesome example of a customer service professional and she will be very pleased to read this review. We hope to see your family here again in the near future. Do you like rollercoasters? Hersheypark is scheduled to open their new "state of the art" rollercoaster this Spring? That brings their rollercoaster total to 12!! Thanks again, we appreciate your business.

Reviewed January 1, 2012

I enjoyed this place, it was not right in the city but on the outskirts in a somewhat busy location. I liked the size and cleanliness of the room. The bathroom was very small and the bathroom light made a lot of noise, I could not hear my husband talk to me the fan was just so loud and buzzing the whole time I was in the bathroom doing my make up or hair..... But other than the small bathroom with the fan that needed to definitely be replaced, it was a very nice place.The breakfast buffet and complimentary USA today paper was an added bonus. There was also free WIFI which was great. I love how these mid priced hotels give you more than the more expensive priced hotels, free brkfst, free wifi and no added fees. Only wish they had in room movies to purchase.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to the Harrisburg/Hershey area. I also appreciate you for taking the time, out of your busy schedule, to give us your feedback and post a review of our hotel. I'm very pleased to hear that you enjoyed staying with us! We are pleased to be able to offer these additional ammennities complimentary to our guests, so please pass this information on to others what we have to offer! In addition, I would like to apologize for the loud bathroom fan, but I'm glad that you shared that in you review. That was a great tool for our Maintenace Engineer when inspecting rooms. I hope that you will stop back an visit us again soon. Remeber, Springtime in Hershey is a great experience!!