“Wonderful food & service!”

Meiji Vietnamese Chinese Cuisine
Ranked #162 of 568 Restaurants in Harrisburg
Cuisines: Chinese, Vietnamese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Takeout
Reviewed September 1, 2014 via mobile

Best pho in town! My girlfriend who lives in DC recommended I get pho here a couple months ago, now I can't get enough. Great food & reasonable prices. I wasn't feeling well and decided some pho would make me feel better. I pulled into to the restaurant parking lot on Saturday night at closing time. They had their personal belongings in hand, already started turning lights off and where getting ready to lock the front door. The cook came to my car, he offered to open the kitchen back up and make whatever I wanted if I would take it to go. Of course I took him up on that offer! Talking about catering to your customers, going above and beyond to service them. You don't hear stories like this everyday and when something like this happens the business deserves to be recognized. Kudos to you for your wonderful food & service! I eat here on a regular basis, at least weekly.

3  Thank Jennifer M

Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

Great Pho! I love this place and owners. My kids love it here. I have known these owners from a previous place they had owned. Excellent food and service every time.

1  Thank LMAlgoso
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I had lunch here today with a friend. We LOVE Vietnamese food, and generally we go to Little Saigon on Paxton Street for our Pho fix. But Little Saigon is closed on Tuesdays. Someone told me about Rose's. (now Meiji's), and we gave it a shot.

Man, this stuff may have been even BETTER than the excellent food at Little Saigon.

Parking is minimal, and the area of town isn't the best. It's sort of a hole in the wall, but this place is terrific. I ordered egg rolls. Small, crispy, cooked to perfection, great dipping sauce, and you get two with every order. I loved them. Among the best I've ever had.

We also ordered the chicken Pho noodle soup. Excellent! Great flavor, lots of fresh spices and veggies to add to the bowl, and LOTS AND LOTS of noodles. We ordered the large bowl. This soup may have been just a bit more flavorful than the soup at Little Saigon, and for that reason, I think I prefer this place to Little Saigon.

I also ordered a coconut juice that was fantastic.

Total bill was about $21 before tip for us to have lunch.

I will DEFINITELY be back to patronize this place. They also serve Chinese food, and there is almost NO good Chinese food that Ip have been able to find in the Harrisburg area. So next time I want Chinese, I'll give this place a shot. Maybe I'll discover that there IS good Chinese food in Harrisburg after all. :-)

2  Thank PABryce
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Terrible pho. I was in Harrisburg for work and saw the great reviews for Rose's, but when I pulled up the sign said Meiji's Vietnamese, but had a little rose in the corner to mislead you. I should have turned away when I walked in and was the only person in the restaurant, but I decided to give it a try nonetheless. I ordered the Pho Ga and fresh spring rolls.

I was soooo disappointed in everything about the two dishes.

Usually, fresh spring rolls are almost like little portable salads with a variety of greens and vegetables wrapped inside rice paper. Often, shredded mint is added to the greens to bring out the flavor. These rolls, however, were filled only with rice sticks, shredded iceberg lettuce, and soggy shrimp. The dipping sauce was watered down peanut sauce. They were such a let down.

Pho's most delicious element is it's broth, which is generally made by simmering beef bones, oxtails, flank steak, charred onion, charred ginger and spices, which can include clove, star anise, coriander seed, fennel, cinnamon, black cardamom, ginger and onion. This broth, however, tasted like a chicken bouillon cube. And watered down at that. The hoisin sauce was salty, not sweet. The sriracha sauce was like none I'd ever tried, it had a kick, but not the great flavor of the classic rooster sauce most people are used to. And they served cilantro on the garnish plate, along with the customary limes and bean sprouts. I was hoping for Thai basil, or at least some culantro but was told that they only served cilantro. I took two sips of the steaming broth but couldn't bother with it any more. It was the most underwhelming, bland, and generic version of pho I've ever had.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

Meiji's, named after the new owner's wife, is an amazing treat. I don't typically look for Vietnamese food in Harrisburg but went on a friend's suggestion and I am so glad I did. The menu was large enough to give many options, but small enough to focus on the dishes Meiji's does best. After speaking with the owner, John, for just a few moments regarding my likes and dislikes, he suggested a spicy beef pho. The huge bowl came piping hot with a tray of cilantro, sprouts, jalapenos, and limes to accompany it. The portion was big enough for two and full of flavor, with unbelievably tender flank steak. The service was attentive, and the family that owns and staffs the restaurant was friendly and welcoming. This restaurant alone is almost worth a trip back to Harrisburg, as it is I can't wait to return and visit Meiji's again. (As an aside, a meal for two with tea and spring rolls came in well under $20, so not only is the food good - it's a great bargain!)

1  Thank scarletbgn3