“Chef Irvine may have saved this restaurant...”

Dodge City Steakhouse
Ranked #24 of 541 Restaurants in Harrisburg
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Chef Irvine may have saved this restaurant...”
Reviewed July 7, 2011

Went to Dodge City on March 23rd, the night they filmed the Restaurant Impossible episode. Was fortunate enough to meet Chef Irvine and talk with him....a very personable fellow. But I digress...
Had been to Dodge City 8-9 years earlier and hadn't been back since. The only thing I remember is that it was a forgettable experience.
This time the Cheese Beer soup was excellent, and as Chef Irvine quizzed me, it has American, parmesan and cheddar cheese in it, which gives it a creamy, slightly tangy flavor! My husband had the Hangar steak which was very tasty. Haven't been back since, but expect a flood of business for them after the airing of the show last night. If they keep up the standards that Irvine taught them, they should be able to keep the restaurant open and excel. Wish them the best.

• Visited March 2011
2 Thank LoveFoodinPA

“Happily surprised - not what I expected.”
Reviewed July 1, 2011

I actually visited this restaurant after I found it on tripadvisor. When I mentioned the name, my wife looked a little reluctant. When we saw the location, the look on her face didn't improve. That all changed as soon as we got inside. The staff was very friendly. The service was excellent, but the real surprise was the food, which was EXCELLENT. Not at all what we expected. My wife ordered the hanger steak and I ordered the prime rib. We kept sharing because we just couldn't decide which was better. This place is a diamond in the rough. I would highly recommend it.

3 Thank SaviorPeacock
Mount Holly Springs, Pennsylvania
“Not quite what I expected from previous reviews”
Reviewed May 19, 2011

I'm a big fan of Chef Robert Irvine's shows, so I took my wife here for our 25th anniversary dinner. Tuesday night so it was quiet, but still had some customers. The restaurant has that understated themed look that I recognize from the show, with nice floors and seating area. The food left something to be desired though. Not sure if it's what Robert suggested or not, but the tuna orderd rare was medium to well done (light pink in middle third, cooked through the rest), tho my filet was nicely done. The tuna came with a black bean paste (salsa?) underneath and was too strong for the tuna. The filet came with a potato pancake underneath and it was way too oniony to be eaten alone, tho it was okay with the filet, again a tad overpowering. And don't expect beer in the beer cheese soup. Great cheese soup, but not beer cheese soup. I'd still go again if it weren't so far from home (45 minutes), but just to try some other menu items.

• Visited May 2011
2 Thank PTommy
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“The renovated restaurant and menu are wonderful”
Reviewed May 10, 2011

As other reviewers have said, the restaurant was renovated by Chef Robert Irvine for Restaurant:Impossible on The Food Network. They redid the interior of the restaurant the revamped the menu. I am generally not a fan of chain restaurants, and I have always rooted for independent & family-owned places like Dodge City to succeed. That's why I was happy to hear about the changes at Dodge City, and was anxious to try it out.

We liked Dodge City before, but love it now! First off, the new decorations and furniture that the Restaurant Impossible folks built are beautiful- very bright, classy and inviting. As for the food, there is a new executive chef and we were treated to some items off the menu and a few new items he was experimenting with that had not been put on the menu yet...all I can say is WOW. My filet was served on a "potato pancake" that was so perfectly seasoned the flavor just popped in my mouth. I mean, the steak was great but the potato stole the show. Then we had seared tuna served asian style with wasabi and ginger- delicious and unique to find at a steak house. As an appetizer I got the beer cheese soup, which is a revised version of the old recipie- again delicious.

Our toddler was with us and got a clean high chair and a lot of attention from the wait staff. There are kid-friendly items, he had chicken fingers and we fought over bites of the truffle mac & cheese. :)

We also got dessert...not exactly on our diet but well worth the splurge. The home made caramel sauce was amazing!

Our server was friendly and attentive, and the owner stopped by our table to see how we were doing. Overall a great experience and a great "new" restaurant in Harrisburg!

• Visited May 2011
7 Thank RoysonG
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
“I love it more and I didn't think that was possible!!!”
Reviewed April 17, 2011

Wow! Harrisburg has a decent restaurant now! The food was great before ( thank goodness they kept the fried oysters, crab cakes and prime rib ) but now it is chic , deeeeeelicious and interesting. The decor before was " kitch " and I could use a little more kitch, but the improvements are great, and up to date and still in keeping with the old charm. I hope they do well. I love it here. Truffled Mac and cheese, cold smoked Texas steaks, chopped salad, best prime rib on the planet and desserts to die for. Home run! Oh, and the coveted liquor license in central pa to boot.

• Visited April 2011