“Great Food. Tiny place. BYOB”
Review of Sammy's

Sammy's
Ranked #41 of 555 Restaurants in Harrisburg
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed January 24, 2012

The dinners are a little on the pricey side, but its BYOB so that kind of makes up for it. Slow getting the food, but I didn't really mind as we were not in a rush and its nice to sit and drink some wine..Did I mention its BYOB? The food was amazing. I love their house dressing.

Reviewed January 2, 2012

Went there New Years Eve with a large group. I wouldn't recommend doing so, because the wait staff did not even try to earn the included tip. Had our waiter put forth any effort, he would have received more than the included minimum. We had a reservation and still had to wait for 30 minutes to be seated at our table in a basement. The menus for this "fancy" restaurant were under glass on top of the table. Our party consisted of one vegan who couldn't really find anything on the menu; when he asked if one vegetable dish could be served without the slice of melted mozzarella, our snooty waiter told him that the kitchen was too busy to accommodate his request. The veal parm I ordered was good, but was not worth the $30. Throughout our meal, the waiter was obnoxious and rude. I'm not from Harrisburg, but I'm sure there are better places to eat in that town. This restaurant is definitely not worth trying. The quality of the food is the same fare you would find at any Italian restaurant. This place is over-priced, with rude staff and mediocre food.

2  Thank ESue67
Reviewed January 2, 2012

I've been to Sammy's twice now. I probably won't go again with a large group of people. We went for a friend's birthday dinner and you could tell that the server was irritated with our table. Now, I fully admit, we had several bottles of wine at our table that he had to open for us (there were 12 of us), and we are not a quiet group by any means. With that being said, it's not the place that you want to go to with a lot of people. It' just not large enough of a restaurant. It's a byob place, which is great. The food is wonderful and the scene out of the front bay window is very pretty. I would recommend this for a couple or a group of 4 at the most. It's much better then you don't have to speak loudly so your table hears you.

Reviewed December 15, 2011

This little jewel in Harrisburg is close to the Capitol and very cozy! At times it is very crowded but this is the best italian restaurant in this area! We have tried them all, and being an italian myself, I am very, very picky about my italian food.
Sammy is wonderful and a fabulous chef! The wait staff are friendly and responsive.
An absolute must in Harrisburg!!!

Reviewed July 28, 2011

Entrees were good, dinner salad substandard to the cost of the meal.Had an early reservation - service seemed OK at first becasue we were the only table. As the evening went on, we saw less and less of our waiter. It took him nealry a half hour to pull or bill togehter - even though (as a party of 8) we had asked for three separate checks. When he finally deliverd the check nothing was itemized, just totals which didn't add up. We did not want to embarass our guests, so we paid just to be able to leave. No where does it state that they charge gratuity on the bill - he did and it was 20%. I don't mind tipping 20-25% if the service is outstanding. He knew he gave us terrbile service - so he charged us up front. Too bad the service is awful - because the food is good.

2  Thank 52787Linda