“Always A Nice Stay - Never Been Disappointed.”

Hilton Garden Inn Harrisburg East
Ranked #5 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I am brand new to TripAdvisor and this is my first post. I found out about TripAdvisor by overhearing a guest at this hotel tell the clerk that he was going to give a bad review on here because she didn’t get a free breakfast! The pettiness of some people are amazing. I have stayed here about 5 or 6 times in the past several months. Each time, my expectations have been exceeded So here is my review of this Hilton Garden Inn from check-in to check-out from my last stay a few days ago:

Check in went fine… I was greeted by the front desk clerk (I think his name was Mark) who promptly got me checked in and on my way to my room. Even though I’m in the area frequently, he was helpful in suggesting a restaurant that I wasn’t familiar with and boy was the food awesome! (I’ll write a review on them soon too!) I have eaten in the hotel restaurant before and enjoyed it.. but was just in the mood to get out for the evening.

When I got to my room it was nice and clean. All the furnishings still look new and it has a nice big flat screen TV, computer desk with a VERY comfortable roller-chair and a sitting chair with foot stool. They have adjustable mattresses and they are awesome. I would love to have one of those at home! Everything was in great condition. The hotel must not be very old, or else they recently went through an update.

They have indoor and outdoor pools and a fitness center which I didn’t use, but the hot tub is a great way to relax after working hard all day. The free wifi was adequate for my surfing and business needs and the business center has printing and fax capabilities too.

All of my interactions with the staff has been pleasant and they always acknowledge you when you walk through the lobby. On a previous stay when I needed to have maintenance check on my air conditioning unit (which wasn’t broken, it was just that some dummy …. Me… didn’t know how to work it!) was quick to arrive and very professional. Everyone here seems to go above and beyond and seems to enjoy what they do.

On my first trip to this hotel, I found it a little hard to find, it’s in a business park area, but it’s the perfect location for my needs (East side of Harrisburg) and has easy access to the Hershey and Lancaster areas. They will even pick you up at the airport in their shuttle if needed. I usually drive in so I can’t comment on that service.

All in all, I have always had a very positive experience with my stays here. I’m usually pretty easy going but can be kind of picky when paying for a service and will let a business know about any problems that I have and give them a chance to remedy the issue (and now that I’m on TripAdvisor, leave reviews – positive or negative, whichever is deserving) I know all stays are not going to 100% glitch free, but I have never had a reason to second guess my visit at this hotel. It’s my first choice when I stay in the Harrisburg / Hershey area.

After reading some of the reviews on the site about the hotel, I am wondering if maybe they are just a retaliation type review like the one I mentioned who was upset for not getting free breakfast. Some of those claims are pretty far out there. Maybe I’m just one of the ones who has had consistent great service and rooms though.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank PARoadRunner
There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Harrisburg East

Reviewed August 11, 2011

The beds comfort system does not work even though the maintenance staff says it does. How do I know? This is the second night with no sleep. There is a dial on the side of the bed for firmness and right now the concrete floor is more comfy. There is mould in the bathroom. I can here the neighbors tv even with a child's noise maker turned up to full.

There are at least 6 other business hotel to choose from within a one mile area. Go somewhere else!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank David S
Reviewed August 8, 2011

I arrived to attend the Joyce Meyers Conference at Hershey, PA. I made the plans for three adults, and booked it using my American Express Points. However, the reservation put three adults in one King Size Bed. Well, as you can imagine...I was furious. Thankfully, Marissa was there at the Hilton Garden Inn's desk to help diffuse the situation, by offering a smile and many reassuring kind words. I even went back later to tell her that if she was not so nice - I would have been more angry at the situation. She helped to make things right for us, and we were able to continue our trip and have a great time. It was not her fault, it was the booking specialist at Am Express World Points that made the reservation.

Room Tip: Call the hotel personally when booking with a third party agent
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Holy_Educator
Reviewed July 28, 2011

For a mid range hotel, it was a clean and, thankfully, uneventful stay. Good wireless, good breakfast, but the waitress in the breakfast room irritated a slew of angry customers with her, "Oh, I forgot..."
I left my Kindle here by mistake. I called, they found it, and mailed it to me (charged my card). I am grateful for that.
I don't think I would ever find a reason to stay in Harrisburg again, but if one must, this is a good hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2011

This is an all-around great hotel! From the front desk check-in to the time we left, everything was very close to perfect. The hotel itself is in a busy area with a lot to do and is very close to the main highway to get to the Hershey and Harrisburg areas. Plenty of restaurants around and a mall. The staff -- from the front desk to the cleaning people to the breakfast-area hostess and workers -- were very friendly and helpful! Many of the aforementioned went beyond the normal courtesy and should be commended, particuarly the girls working in the restaurant area.

The rooms are spacious and very clean. The beds have a dial on it that can adjust firmness but I don't really think I am a fan of these types of beds, because I couldn't get it to feel right. (There was nothing wrong with it, I just prefer a normal mattress.) There was an indoor and outdoor pool and a hot tub. It was brutal-hot (100+) the days we were there and having an indoor pool was nice, as we rotated. It would have been great if the exercise room had some free weights and not all cardio-type/station equipment. There is a very small gift shop near the front desk which is always open and has an excellent assortment of items, including frozen foods and shaving cream/bath stuff etc.

All-around great stay!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2011

Great hotel, great location to Hershey Park. Clean and safe!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2011

We stayed at this hotel in late june while on a trip to Hershey. While convientent to the park it had many flaws. I can get into the lack of cleanliness and poor food but that is mostly all mid-level hotels so I really don't judge too heavily on that. The reason this hotel recieves such a poor rating is for security. While staying there we were approached by 2 different staff members who attempted to sell me and my wife illegal substances, once while our child was in tow. When reported the hotel assured us they'd take action but we saw them working the next day which leads me to beleive the hotel has a part in the illegal activities. Once we saw this we opted not to report to police as we didn't feel safe as these people knew our information from reservation. I am used to that in other countries but in a hotel here this was truly a first. To each his own but I'd strongly recommend staying away unless that is your idea of a good time.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family