“Good steak subs”

Philadelphia Steaks & Hoagies
Ranked #134 of 575 Restaurants in Harrisburg
Reviewed October 31, 2015

Probably the best place in town for Philly cheese steaks although a far cry from Pat's in downtown Philadelphia (south street)

Reviewed September 9, 2015

I frequent this tiny little restaurant, located next to Strawberry Square in downtown Harrisburg, whenever I'm in town on business.

This gem of a place is only open until 2 pm during the week, but by the lines that sometimes reach the door, you'll see that the State workers lunch crowd is the entirety of their business. Don't let that long line fool you: this family run business has expediting the orders down to a science, so you get to the counter FAST. You get your fountain beverage to the left before placing your order, which helps speed things along. Have your order ready to go when you reach the counter (with whiz, with provolone, with onions, etc.).

As for the steaks, they are absolutely delicious. I mostly get steak whiz with (steak with onions and cheese whiz) and it's always perfect. You know it's good when you need tons of napkins on your tray. The bread is the same bread used in Philly, sent in fresh every morning. The french fries are not homemade, but they are always hot, crisp and potato-y. I always leave feeling satisfied (if not just a bit guilty) at having had an amazing lunch.

Outside of Philly, you really can't do much better than Philadelphia Steaks & Hoagies for an authentic cheesesteak. It's worth stopping in when you have some time.

1  Thank CiCiFromPA
Reviewed August 20, 2015

Having been born in South Philadelphia, my tolerance for bad "Philly cheesesteaks" is low. These folks know the importance of a good, fresh Philly Italian roll. Close your eyes when you take a bite: you'll be transported back to the old neighborhood.

Reviewed April 21, 2015

I have been eating cheese steak sandwiches at Philadelphia Steak and Hoagies for 30 years. They are the best.. Always prepared as you like it. As good as anything Philadelphia has to offer. They have plenty of other choices on their menu but for me it's always "Philly Cheese Steak"
The restaurant is on the small side and seats get filled quickly over Lunch time. You can always order to go. Service is fast.

Reviewed November 11, 2014

At first, I doubted the name, then I doubted the ability to make a good cheesesteak outside of Philly (my name is Thomas and I am from Philly) - It was amazing! I asked them "How did you do this without Famosa's water rolls?" They said, we don't, we have the same rolls shipped here every day!. It was so good I called them back the next day from Connecticut and asked them if they could ship a HOT cheesesteak to Hartford. They said :Why not? we never did it before but lets try it!" Fedex picked it up by 5 pm, it arrived by 9:30 am the next day - triple wrapped in aluminum foil, then packed in a styrofoam box - It was still warm and delicious according to my friend who received it in his office by surprise! Go there and be amazed -ask about shipping too
(NOTE for honest review writing-This visit took place in 1999 - IT is tue but dated - They are still in business and getting great reviews and they still ship)

1  Thank F Thomas C