“Horrible Meal”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Capitol Diner

Capitol Diner
Ranked #12 of 535 Restaurants in Harrisburg
Cuisines: American, Greek, Diner
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Lewistown, Pennsylvania
“Horrible Meal”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

We last ate here at lunch time on New Year's Day. We have been here before and always found the food to be decent if not spectacular. This time the majority of customers seemed to be having late breakfasts but we ordered for lunch. My wife ate chicken which she said was good. My daughter ordered a hot chicken sandwich and I ordered meatloaf. I received two pieces of meatloaf. The meatloaf tasted burned but I continued eating for a while and didn't immediately tell our waitress. Finally I turned the meatloaf over and found it to be completely black. I said something to the others at my table and my daughter said that the sandwich bread was hard as if it had been sitting out for a while. The next time our waitress came by we told her about our food, To her credit, she asked if she could bring us something else but neither of us were still hungry at that point. When we got to the cash register to pay our bill the gentleman at the register asked how I was, I told him that I had been disappointed in my meal because the meatloaf was burned. He asked if I had told our waitress and I said "Yes." He then asked if it was only burned on one side as he took my credit card. Again I answered in the affirmative. I thought it was a rather odd question and wondered what he would say next but that was the end of the conversation except for "Have a pleasant day," or something similar. None of us mentioned the bread after that discussion. Anyway, it will be my last stop at the Capitol Diner.

• Visited January 2014

New York City, New York
“Clean diner”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Not much to say about this diner. It was clean and service was good. We wee a party of seven and they were able to accommodate us. One nice thing was that the pancakes were huge, almost the size of a dinner plate. Additionally, the bathrooms were spotless.

Visited December 2013
Dayton, Ohio, United States
“Diner, some good, some not so.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

Without really planning, we wound up doing 4 diners in 3 days on our trip up east. Who knew?

This diner caught our attention while overnighting in Harrisburg. Looked like a promising spot, not a chain, bright and attractive. So we pulled in for dinner.

The decor is classic diner--the layout is a train-car front with the big dining room to the left. Lots of neon, chrome, retro but also contemporary. I approved. There was a modest crowd on this Sunday night, noise levels were low.

Our table service was good and attentive. All in all, I saw a staff that seemed to be in a constant state of unhurried business. It made me feel confident in the competence of the place.

I ordered from the senior menu, feeling not overly hungry. My three-course meal began with the soup of the day, a seafood bisque; it was rich and redolent with clam, a flavor I like. My entree was ham loaf with a pineapple sauce; I thought it was better if I scraped off most of the sauce. My side of cole slaw was top-rate, crisp and the perfect amount of a dressing that was neither too sweet or too vinegary. I thought bravo, a diner has to have a good cole slaw. My dessert was tapioca pudding, topped with real whipped cream; it was quite satisfying.

My wife's meal, on the other hand, was the disappointment. Her six-ounce hamburger was generously topped and cooked precisely to her order. But the french fries--oh, noes! They were soggy and flavorless, like they had been boiled and then dunked in a too-cold deep fryer for not enough time! They might have gotten a five rating from me if the fries had been terrific!

At any rate, not a bad place to stop if it's on your way and you're looking for good food--especially in the wee small hours, they're open (as a good diner should be) 24/7.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank TR26
Sayre, PA
“Good breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

We had the breakfast special of 2 eggs, homefries, and toast for $2.99 and appreciated the waitress telling us about it. Service was great and food good so no complaints.

Visited December 2013
New York City, New York
“Great breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

We went as a large group of 20 and also a smaller group of 4. The food and the service were great both times.

Visited November 2013