“Unimpressed”
Review of Progress Grill

Progress Grill
Ranked #25 of 538 Restaurants in Harrisburg
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Unimpressed”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I travel for business and this higher-end restaurant was close to my hotel so I decided to try it. Upon arrival, the place appeared to be a throw-back to the seventies. No problem, I grabbed a seat at the bar. The menu had all my favorites... sea bass, grouper, prime rib, lobster, and filet. I was at a loss for what to order. I asked a few questions and most of the fish is broiled in a lemon butter... no thanks. I asked about having the grouper blackened. To her credit, the bartender wanted to first make sure they had received a fresh shipment of grouper. Realizing that this dish was probably more of menu filler, I landed on the soft shell crab which I was sold on after being told it arrives alive and fresh daily and was in season. It was OK at best. The crab itself was large and high quality, but the preparation was not... it was very heavily sauteed, dripping with oil, and the flavor of the crab was lost. They should probably take a lesson from an Asian restaurant on how to prepare it? The Greek salad was just OK as well... good flavor but a lot of whitish-brown pieces of lettuce. The brocolli was supposedly steamed, but it I'm pretty sure it was just microwaved as it came out cold and rubbery with a runny cheese sauce on it. With a glass of wine and tip, I dropped $46. I left wondering if I should've just played it safe and had a cut of prime rib and french fries?

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Jim E

“Still excellent!!!”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Another dinner of a broiled crab cake & a filet, outstanding as always. My wife was very happy with her stuffed mushrooms

• Visited August 2012
New Bloomfield, Pennsylvania
“Dekicious foos”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I always come here to choose from a variety of food. I mainly eat fish, but I have had a little bit from everything. Most of it are delicious

• Visited July 2012
Kansas City, Kansas, USA
“Yummy crabcakes”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I've eaten at Progress Grill for more than 20 yr; so, when I came to the area for business, it was high on my list. As always, it did not disappoint. The crabcakes are scruptious, with little filler, just enough spice and broiled to perfection. Although other entrees are good, just get the crabcakes if you're coming in for a first-time visit. Another wonderful treat is the Greek salad. [locals know you can order a double salad rather than having another side -- now you do too!] The staff is knowledgeable and friendly. The location is convenient and there's plenty of parking in the rear. [Note: The back entrance is NOT ADA friendly. If someone needs wheelchair access or climbing stairs is not an option, enter on the street side of the building.]

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Delicious filet!”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

As I looked across our table, there were a lot of folks quietly devouring delicious meat! A mix of prime rib and other cuts. I had the filet --a large cut, cooked medium -- tasted excellent. Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside.

The sides were average. The Greek salad was delicious as was the fried zucchini appetizer.

Great service contributed to an exceptional experience overall. As an established restaurant that caters to professionals -- the wait staff is mostly long-term and very dedicated.

We had extra folks show up in our group after we were seated and they quickly reconfigured our table.

Also the food, all courses, came amazingly quick. And the restaurant was pretty full for a Tuesday. We were there a little before 6 and had no wait.

Highly recommend.