“Over Priced and Over Rated”
Review of Federal Taphouse

Federal Taphouse
Ranked #27 of 569 Restaurants in Harrisburg
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Seven of us went here for dinner. We were told it would be a 45 minute wait and I could tell they were hoping we'd go some where else. After about 10 minutes we were seated. Great beer selection but over priced. Food was mediocre. Simple questions about the menu required a visit by our waitress to the kitchen and she'd return about 15 minutes later. I ordered the burger without the bun, bacon or onions and requested a different kind of cheese than the pepper jack as listed. When the bill came, there was a mysterious dollar added but no indication of why. When we questioned the charge, we were told it was for the cheese! I wanted to ask them to pay me for the cheese, bun, onions and bacon I didn't eat. Yes, it was only a dollar but it was more or less the whole rip off theme of the place.
Maybe go for the beer but not the food. No one in our party was overly impressed with their food. I wouldn't recommend and won't return.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

We decided to stop in here last Saturday night to see what all the talk is about and I see why everyone is talking. This place is certainly different from all the other bars/restaurants in the Burg. We lucked out with parking on the street right around the corner and arrived around 8pm. The place was pretty packed, but we got lucky because a couple was leaving the bar and we were able to grab their stools and place at the bar. I was delighted with the chalk board listing all the 100 types of beer on tap, although it would have been nice if they listed their prices like the Holy Hound Taproom in York does. It might be a surprise for some people that their small glass of beer is $10. The selection is overwhelming, but welcomed and I was so excited that they sell several of the ciders that I like as well as beer from around the world! My husband was in Heaven and wanted to try everything. I am not sure if they let you sample, but it was pretty busy so it would probably be frowned upon. We tried a few of the beers and decided to share a pizza and it was fabulous. All of the food that came out looked delish and the menu had enough variety for being mainly a bar. There were quite a few tables and would be a great place to meet friends. Not exactly romantic if your looking for somewhere for date night, but if you love beer then why not. We went upstairs because they were having free live music and the band sounded really good. It was dimly lit and had tall tables up there that you can stand at and also a nice bar. A totally different atmosphere from downstairs, but very nice as well. I really enjoyed this place and look forward to going back again soon.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

The beer menu is WOW so many beer. The food menu is a bit limited but there is a good selection of pizzas, burgers, and some entree. I had the crab cakes they were very tastey. The service was good the the light and airy resturant.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

The Federal Taphouse taps into the craft beer movement that is currently happening. There are 100 beers on tap that changes constantly. There is a specific beer menu that lists the beers by brewing company and when the keg is tapped, a new one replaces it quickly.

There is a bar that allows you to see all 100 taps and the chalkboard they are written on. But, this isn't just a bar, there is a limited, but interesting menu and sit down tables for dinner. The kitchen is open, so you can see what's going on behind the scenes. The menu has appetizers, salads, pizza, sandwiches, and desserts. The foods I've had (soft pretzels, Italian sandwich, turkey club sandwich, apple cobbler) have all be tasty and I would recommend them.

The servers are friendly and knowledgeable. They know the beers, have tasted the beers themselves so they can tell you what they like about them or not, and are good at being there when you want someone to refill your glass, but not hoovering about when you just want to drink and chat.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

The Federal Taphouse is an excellent choice for a low-key dinner. They have a great menu. We had the roasted mushroom brick-oven pizza and the aoli fries and for dessert the stout brownie with ice cream. Everything was amazing!!! The fries are a must get. Our server Chris was great. Perfect amount of attention...we never had to ask if anything. My husband loves the enormous beer selection. The prices were not overboard. The atmosphere is very inviting and most of all fun. We can't wait to go back.