“Hipster Dining in Harrisburg”
Review of Tomato Pie Cafe

Tomato Pie Cafe
Ranked #11 of 564 Restaurants in Harrisburg
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Full Service Urban Style Eatery. Unique selection of Panini's, Soup, Salads, Breakfast Dishes, Lunch, Dinner. Full Espresso Bar
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Nestled at the intersection where 83 and 322 meet, in the shadow of the Hilton Garden Inn and Ruby Tuesday's, the Tomato Pie Café serves up healthy food in hipster style.

We stopped on our way to Baltimore with two kids. As others have mentioned, it is not the place for quick service, but the staff was very friendly.

I had the Veggie Flipped, a few eggs lightly scrambled, fried and the flipped over spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes and onions. It came with a potato pancake that was light and tasty. The dish was good, but not great and I left thinking I should have ordered the beer salad - next time!

My wife ordered the Hummus Platter, which was very good, but too big for one. There are only so many artichoke hearts a person can eat. The naan bread was particularly flavorful and the hummus disappeared quickly, a sure sign it was good.

There is a nice little kids menu, and the girls ordered Rainbow Grilled Cheese (it has tie-dyed colored bread!) and the Sweet Wheat Pancake (which comes Mickey Mouse style).

The cappuccino was excellent and worth noting. In all, TPC is a great place for a healthy meal with excellent vegetarian options.

1  Thank cplong

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Visited with a total of three people and we each had a different dish. Portion sizes were small to medium and prices are moderate. Good place to eat if you want a light meal or snack. They have a selection of hot beverages. The food was tasty and flavorful. The servers were personable and friendly, but not perceptive to 'see the needs' of what was needed. We had to ask for enough water glasses for each of us, ask for silverware after we were served our meal, and the servers did not automatically come back to refill drinks. When we were asked about dessert, the server pointed to the display and the display only had 2 desserts. We later saw at the other end of the restaurant, a few other dessert options that we would have considered. The server never directed us to these. The time from ordering until we were served was appropriate and timely. Environment is low key and comfortable. We would go back again, knowing that it is a good place for a quick and light bite to eat, along with having a comfortable laid back, casual environment.

Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

Food is top notch. We had hummus as an appetizer for the table. It was extremely slow in coming. We heard the waiter apologizing to tables around us. All meals were also extremely slow in coming but were very good. Presentation, size, quality all very good but service was shamefully slow. Waiter passed by table twice without stopping when credit card was standing up on bill. We got frustrated and too the bill to the register where our waiter met us to ring us out. We wanted something sweet but didn't want to wait so we headed to the takeout counter. A girl behind the counter took 3 minutes to acknowledge three of us standing at the register with a a dessert and cash in our hands. When she did acknowledge us after looking at us multiple times she said she would be with us shortly and continued with stacking glasses. We put our desserts back and left.
Poor customer service will bring this awesome food down quickly!

3  Thank sfulton
Reviewed October 17, 2013

The comfortable seating, the laid-back atmosphere and the incredible food make this the place to go to kick back and relax with friends, your spouse or coworkers. Honestly, my teenagers don't appreciate the quality and distinct taste of the food. It is not your typical grab and go, run of the mill pizza joint. It is classy, coffee-house dining with it's pulse on seasonal flavors and year-round favorites...like the tomato pie. Oh my gosh, I can't rave enough about the tomato pie! The curry chicken salad is ABSOLUTELY mouth watering!! I'll often go in with friends, order the tomato pie for dinner and take home the curry chicken salad for the next day's lunch. Try it, you won't be sorry you did. :)

1  Thank Adina3kids
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Incinerator budget got you down? Tired of eating at Sheetz? Got a hankering for something different?

I work within a mile of Tomato Pie off of Paxton St. and only just started eating there, about two weeks ago - they have been open for over a year now. I used to frequent the same location when a previous restaurant, Hollee's was there. (They had great ice cream - but they closed.) A few months ago I noticed the "Tomato Pie" sign and thought to myself, "How bizarre."

My wife must take the credit for our first official visit, as she went there for lunch during a conference in town. She raved about the environment, the clever uniforms the servers wear, the décor and of course the food. Obviously I had to try it for myself!

To be quite honest, I've not had a bad experience yet. Ate there a handful of times over the past week, personally and on business travel (I drive all over Penn.), and it's always been fresh and tasty. The chicken in my pesto sandwich was moist, flavorful and not bland... the salmon bagel for breakfast is a great reminder of visiting NYC... and the curry chicken croissant is KILLER. My wife had great meals as well.

I see a few negative reviews here, but hopefully they are isolated incidents - any restaurant can have a bad day, or a server having a bad day. What matters is that the restaurant and its staff consistently do their best, and people keep coming back for more. I am often concerned by "mini chains", where adding branches can lead to a dip in quality when the management is divided between locations. However, the Lititz and Harrisburg locations both seem to be doing well, so that is good news.

I'll definitely be going back frequently, as Tomato Pie will replace a couple other nearby locations as a go-to spot for me (such as Café Fresco or Isaac's, which are good but not as good in my opinion). The restaurant's atmosphere inside is also great, with clever lights and a very nice appearance. One final comment is on value: I was pleasantly surprised by the quantity and quality of food we received, compared to how much we paid. On one lunch occasion we had two sandwiches, two appetizers, coffee and another drink, and with tip it was about $35. Similar locations, such as the two I mentioned earlier, would regularly come out higher in their pricing, even if slightly. Yet Tomato Pie has superior food in my opinion, and a great variety at that.

One very, very slight "complaint" may be under the "families with children" rating. The location is small, and not really meant for large crowds or parties, that sort of thing. It's much like an expanded café environment. They would gladly accommodate a larger reservation to be certain, but do not expect large banquet room-style tables. This in and of itself is not a knock against the restaurant, but I will knock the rating down one Green Dot just because I don't personally feel that this is a "kid-friendly" place in the same way a pizza parlor may be. Hopefully I'm not being too vague, here!

Well done, Tomato Pie!