“DISMAL”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Third St
Transit: We are just one block from the CAT Transfer Center on 2nd and Market and just one block from the Greyhound and Amtrak Station on 4th and Market.
Reviewed March 23, 2014

At momo's BBQ recently, I had perhaps the overall worst restaurant experience of my entire life.

Maybe they try to do too much... And aren't much good at anything.

1: It's got a "sports bar" feel and ambience- yet there are only 6 TVs- 2 of which had the same broadcast showing.

2: They have a vast selection of micro brews- yet when I asked for a better description of a Lagunitas pale ale (on tap) the bartender could only come up with "it's a pale ale." No s**t, Sherlock. I mean, seriously?

3: They had live music- and the duo was alright, but in this room of hard surfaces, it's loud enough already. A live act or band just serves to make it louder than it naturally is.

4: The food. First off, everything, and I mean EVERYTHING- with the single exception of the fresh baked corn bread- that arrived in time for dessert- was just about ice cold. Tho the St Louis ribs were OK, and almost warm- the pulled pork was nasty, flavorless, and did I mention cold? I had ordered the "combo", yet the kitchen sent the ribs out alone. The server had to go back and get the pork. I had the Luau Beans. Cold. My GF had the chili. Cold. The corn bread should have come with the meal, but since they didn't have any on hand it was baked in haste, screwed up a couple of times, then kinda thrown at us after we had already finished our meals!

To her credit, the server was good, but seemed frustrated at the lameness of the kitchen staff, and was more or less apologetic while not coming right out to apologize.

Bottom line: Momo's should decide what they want to be, then make some effort to achieve whatever it is. MAYBE it was an "off" night, but THE one thing that Momo's was on March 22, 2014 was LAME, like the lamest. They totally nailed lame. At least they nailed something.

1  Thank TomBanksJr
There are newer reviews for MoMo's BBQ and Grill

Reviewed February 22, 2014

The owners are passionate about bbq, and do it right.Good service, exellent menu choices, and very busy at lunch.Terrific cole slaw,too

Reviewed February 6, 2014

Food was good enough, service was better but for business travelers staying in the city and just want some comfort food - this was not a bad idea...centrally located, within walking distance to the main hotels and downtown Harrisburg.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

We have been to MoMo's on several occasions now - usually right before a concert at the Whitaker Center or the Forum which is one of the more common reason's we go downtown. The food is good, the beer selection is amazing, and the service has always been good. The location is very convenient for the concert venues but one of these days I would like to head downtown and spend a while at MoMo's listening to their music and digging a bit deeper into the beer menu!!

Reviewed January 22, 2014

I live in the southeast and travel the region to BBQ restaraunts routinely to enjoy the traditional southern BBQ. I was very surprised at the quality of the BBQ at MoMo's some to the best I have ever tasted