“Tired it, liked it”

Ranked #11 of 540 Restaurants in Harrisburg
Cuisines: Diner
“Tired it, liked it”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Went at dinner time with a group. It was a little tricky to find the entrance next to the La Quinta motel, but there is plenty of parking. The restaurant is new and clean with a neutral décor. The staff was friendly and moved swiftly. Everyone in the party liked their food. The prices were reasonable and the portions were generous. There is a large diner type menu with children's and senior's selections. The owner/chef came out to greet the patrons and make sure everyone was satisfied. The crab soup was some of the best I've ever tasted. We will go again.

• Visited July 2014

Dayton
“Average”
Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

We got a take out sandwich for lunch, (right next to our hotel) and it was so good we decided to try dinner. My "dinner" salad was hardly bigger than the side salad, my husband's fish undercooked, and it took 1:30 . And they weren't really busy. Avg. food, avg. price, but not worth a return trip.

“Pleasant restaurant”
Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

Had great dinner with parents and children. Food was very good and reasonable. Live 1 mile down road and have been back plenty of times. Waitress that plays Frisbee golf was great.

• Visited June 2014
Schaumburg, Illinois
“Nothing fancy, but good value”
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Hershey Family Restaurant is the place to go if you want something quick, enjoy comfort food, or want a good amount of food for a good price. I tried the restaurant for the first time on Saturday, July 12, 2014. I was solo. The restaurant is situated in a large parking lot, behind a newly opened La Quinta motel in Harrisburg. Without the large sign at the street, the restaurant would be easy to miss. The entrance into the shared parking lot of the motel and restaurant is also a little confusing, if you have crossed Jonestown Road and need to turn left into the lot. The restaurant itself has a friendly ambience; it's decor typical of most family restaurants. I ordered the Monte Cristo sandwich, which came with French fries and coleslaw. I thought the sandwich was very good and rich, and for $8.99 was a terrific price. I was too full to order dessert. The food came out less than 10 minutes after I ordered, so service was fast. The waitress did spend about 10 minutes conversing with a couple at the table next to mine, which I found distracting as I tried to read. However, that was a minor inconvenience, and a restaurant where the staff knows its patrons is a good thing, in my opinion. If your looking to unwind, or chill with friends or family, or just want tasty food for a reasonable price, you will be quite satisfied with Hershey Family Restaurant. I plan to return.

Visited July 2014
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“NOT THE BEST DINER AROUND”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

My wife and I ate here tonight. We live a few miles down the road and had never even noticed that it had opened. The entrance is not clearly marked, and we had to make a U-turn to come back and try again. The management should improve this aspect, as it could be dangerous to linger in the road looking for the entrance.

The place looks new and is somewhat stark. The dessert cases are right inside the door. I suppose this is to tempt you right away. There were two women in one part of the L-shaped room, and three people at a table in the rear of the room. We were seated right next to the three people.

(On the way in, I stopped to use the men's room and have a little criticism of that -- the design is such that if someone opens the door, a person walking by can see what's "going on" in there -- poor design! The room was clean enough, for sure. The hand dryer was powerful but had no heating element, and the cold air was hard on the hands and most uncomfortable.)

I took my seat, and we placed our drink orders. I asked the server if anyone had complained that it was cold in there -- even my wife, who is NEVER cold, said it was -- and the server said she would say something to someone, but nothing came of it.

I read through the substantial menu (like other reviewers, I always wonder how a small restaurant can serve so many different dishes). I noticed the senior meatloaf special included one piece of meatloaf and a side. The "mile high meatloaf" sounded more substantial (don't you think so -- just from the name?) and included mashed potatoes, beef gravy (probably from a jar) and onion rings, all on a slice of bread. There was only one slice of meatloaf, which, I admit, tasted okay -- no weird seasonings or anything -- sitting on a serving of mashed potatoes on the bread. (There was nothing "mile high" about the slice. I bet it was the same one used on the senior meal.) The implied serving of onion rings was two rings, each cut in half and placed vertically at the four "corners" of the pile. They were average in taste. The potatoes were okay, but not as good as the bags of instant potatoes we sometimes have at home. The bread had an odd rubbery consistency on the corners and was soggy under the potatoes. Everything was at a decent temperature, but not what I could call truly hot. Oh, I almost forgot the side of a small mixed salad with bottled Thousand Islands dressing. It was cold and crispy, although on the small side.

My wife ordered a gyro and serving of mashed potatoes. She had a bite or two of the sandwich and when the butter (which she had to ask for) did not melt on the potatoes, she told the server that the food simply was not hot enough, barely warm. The server was polite and took it back to the kitchen, from which it returned duly heated. (If I were the chef, I would have made a new sandwich and brought it out with apologies instead of returning a half-eaten sandwich with now-wilted vegetables in it.)

Anyway, we skipped coffee and dessert and left for home. I am pretty sure we won't return here because there are a number of much better diner-style restaurants in the same area. (By the way, we were surprised to see a Trip Advisor decal on the front door indicating something positive about the place!)

• Visited May 2014