“New,clean and noisy”

Hampton Inn & Suites Harrisburg North
Ranked #4 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
“New,clean and noisy”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

The hotel is nicely laid out and new. The staff is friendly but the directions to the hotel are inaccurate. The hotel also is located in an area without close food or conveniences such as pharmacy or coffee place. The room we had was on the freeway side and was almost impossible to sleep from the road noise. Another issue is the air condition unit is located directly next to the pull out couch ( we had a suite) and whoever sleeps near the ac freezeswhile the rest of the room is warm. Overall only thing this hotel has over the other Hamptons we stayed at is the hotel is new... I would avoid this hotel just for the missing conveniences and noise.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the street side. Avoid the freeway side.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank avigli6
DirectorofSales17110, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn & Suites Harrisburg North, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Thank you for your comments. Our hotel is centrally located with easy on and off access to I-81. Within 1 mile of our hotel is a CVS Pharmacy. 1.6 miles from the hotel is a Starbucks along with several shops and eating establishments. We hope to have the opportunity to have you stay with us again should be return to the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
San Antonio
Reviewed August 4, 2012

If you are a light sleeper, avoid the side of the hotel by the freeway or use ear plugs. The property is new and nice in most respects. We asked for a room on the quiet side of the hotel but were told that there were no rooms like we requested. I suppose that means no king beds were available since that was our request. With the benefit of hindsight, we should have changed our preference.

Room Tip: See comments above re noise.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. We do our best to try and accommodate requests but this cannot be guaranteed. We hope to have the opportunity to have you stay with us again when traveling to or through the area.
Wilmington, De
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Newly opened as of July 2012. I stayed here for one night. REALLY REALLY NICE PLACE , unsurprisingly, I guess.. but I was not expecting it, so it was a surprise for me. The rooms are top notch. Plush comfy beds, lots of room in the suites, lovely bathroom stone flooring. Real nice presentation. Microwaves in room and small fridge ! Sooo appreciated!

When I arrived I was so tired after a long day of traveling and previous work related obligations. I did not realize how new this place was and I could smell the strong carpety odors when I entered the room. I am very aversive/sensitive to smells, and was feeling sick as a result. Combined with my mood and tiredness, that was not a good thing. I called down to the desk and asked about it- they were receptive and sent a maintenance man up for help with the ventilation. Well, this gentleman was SOOOO NICE! Here I was, probably looking like a spoiled tired princess , but he was quite polite, patient and helpful-even at 10 o'clock at night! Whoever that guy was, he was the best.
He brought up a fan which really helped disperse some fumes.

THAT made my stay soo much better and I am very thankful. Breakfast was standard. Previous comments: I agree with you. Fitness center solid. Clean and large. Pool, was placebo. small...but hey, this is Harrisburg, not Jamaica.
Overall, this is a QUALITY place . Highly recommend this hotel if you need someplace near Harrisburg to spend a night. (Be careful about the fumes if you are fragrance-sensitive though) Also, there is a detour on local road, so accessing the place might not work for you if you are staying close to when this review is written. Call ahead about that.

And whoever you are, Maintenance Man, THANK YOU~

Room Tip: Top floor. Suite. Do it.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank chia6000
Thank you for your wonderful comments. Our staff strives to please our guests. I am pleased to see that we were able to do so. The road that had a detour has since opened. The Staff and Management would welcome the opportunity to have you stay with us again while in the area.
Hollins, Virginia
Reviewed July 27, 2012

This is a brand new hotel, opened shortly before the time of this review. Everything is in brand-new condition. Service and amenities are A-OK.

It is little larger than the average Hampton Inn, including the lobby, breakfast area, pool, etc.

But if I was to return, I would insist on a room on the side opposite I-81 (even numbered room). We were on the Interstate side, and I-81 is busy with heavy trucks 24/7. The hotel walls seem to be of reasonable construction, however the building is simply so close to the road that it is probably impossible to cancel out all that noise.

Good news: One of my big pet peaves about recently constructed hotels, at least here on the East Coast, is that they lmost never have proper ventalation, e.g., you can't open a window, and there is no exhaust fan in the bathroom (I assume this is to reduce energy costs for heating cooling.) So I really appreciate that the bathroom has a ventilation fan, and even with its own control switch. The fan can be on while the light is off - great! And the heat/A/C as a separate fan control, so you can leave it on all the time (which helped me cope with the road noise).

Finally, carefully check the directions at the hotel web site, and be sure that your GPS or map is up to date. Despite the fact that it is very near the Interstate, it is not so clear how to get there from the exit. Some navigation is required.

Room Tip: Request a room on the quiet side (even numbered)!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank global-engineer
Thank you for your comments. Our hotel is located right off of I-81. We do give another address to use since our road is "new" should anyone call asking for directions. We hope to have the opportunity for you to stay with us again when in the area.
Reviewed July 27, 2012

What a find!! This was the cheapest out of all of the not cheapo hotels we could find. It's obviously been redone recently - everything is immaculate, which gives the feeling of being in a fancier/pricier place. We had everything we could possibly need. Nicely set up and decorated, and the blanket being the clean white duvet made me not feel that slept-at-hotel grime at all. Also im allergic to cigarettes and a number of cleansers and animals - it was my dream of a fresh room. The hotel was packed, but we didn't hear anyone at all. It is right next to the highway, and we were level with the road (4th floor). We heard the highway all night (which doesn't bother me as much as people noises), but if it bothers you, it will be a problem on this side, so be sure to ask not to face it, and you should be fine. Breakfast was super standard, some hot some cold things, waffle maker and apples. I can only hope the other places we stay will be this nice.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Hard-sell-on-hotels
Thank you for your wonderful comments. Yes, our hotel is new. We just opened on June 28th, 2012. We hope to have you stay with us again should you return to the area.
New York
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Everything is new from bed to bathroom to sofa. It smells new. You cannot write a review for a new establishment because everything is flawless but can compare with other establishments of the same chain. Staff is very friendly and very nice.

Need Improvement : Breakfast . Hilton have other establishments like Embassy suites , which offer a very nice breakfast choice and have variety. Here the hot buffet is just scrambled eggs and sausage. Where are the pancakes ??? where are the hash browns or French toast or omelettes ???

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our new facility. The breakfast menu is established by Hilton. All Hampton Inns are mandated to have the same breakfast menu just as other Hilton brands have set menus. We hope to have the opportunity for you to stay with us again when returning to the area.