“Bibliophile paradise!”

Midtown Scholar Bookstore
Ranked #1 of 9 Shopping in Harrisburg
More attraction details
Owner description: The Midtown Scholar is an award-winning bookstore & cafe. With over 100,000 used, discount, & rare books in inventory, we have the largest collection of used books between New York and Chicago. Over 1 million books are available online! The Little Scholar, has hundreds of great children's and young adult titles and features weekly activities! The Yellow Wall Gallery features a different artist monthly. Also stop in to Robinson's Rare Books and Fine Prints Room. The cafe provides excellent service and great products including Counter Culture Coffee and Rishi Tea. We host dozens of book clubs and community events weekly, as well as live music on weekends. Stop in and see for yourself why the Midtown Scholar is the hidden gem of Harrisburg! OPEN 7 DAYS!
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I spent the good part of a recent Saturday in Midtown Scholar and still only covered about three sections thoroughly. I was impressed by the depth of selection/ all well organized, the helpfulness of the staff, and comfortable sitting areas to enjoy a delicious cappucchino! Highly recommended.

2  Thank tarheeltraveler61

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Whenever I have anyone visiting me from out of town, I always take them here. I've had so many great conversations here while drinking their coffee (which is great). Also, every time that I get a latte, the pour is perfect and the foam design is beautiful. My fiance and I also love flipping through the old books and reading the ephemera. Great place!

1  Thank Mattmillr911
Reviewed November 4, 2013

From other reviews it seems the bookstore is a great place to visit, but be very cautious about on-line purchases. An order was rejected (after a one week delay) as the item as "unavailable" though two copies remain listed. On a second order with "$23.95 shipping from US to Australia" listed against the book I was asked for an additional $36 to cover shipping (i.e a total of $60).
I purchased (same title, same price) from another US store with a shipping charge of $17 !!!

1  Thank aikenhd
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Beautiful building inside, and full of interesting books. Even has some screen free areas requesting no computers or cell phone use. Could have stayed much longer but our 6 year was not interested in the story time.

2  Thank NanniferB
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Slightly off the beaten path for a traveler, but well worth the stop. A spacious and friendly book store and coffee shop. The Sunday I was there had an afternoon of free entertainment in conjunction with the Harrisburg yearly "Gallery Art Walk"... a delightful experience!

1  Thank picardo44