“Great place to hang out in Harrisburg”

Midtown Scholar Bookstore
Ranked #1 of 7 Shopping in Harrisburg
More attraction details
Owner description: The Midtown Scholar is an award-winning bookstore & cafe. With over 100,000 used, discount, & rare books in inventory, we have the largest collection of used books between New York and Chicago. Over 1 million books are available online! The Little Scholar, has hundreds of great children's and young adult titles and features weekly activities! The Yellow Wall Gallery features a different artist monthly. Also stop in to Robinson's Rare Books and Fine Prints Room. The cafe provides excellent service and great products including Counter Culture Coffee and Rishi Tea. We host dozens of book clubs and community events weekly, as well as live music on weekends. Stop in and see for yourself why the Midtown Scholar is the hidden gem of Harrisburg! OPEN 7 DAYS!
Kutztown, Pennsylvania
1,077 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,909 helpful votes
“Great place to hang out in Harrisburg”
Reviewed December 6, 2012

We had read about this place and wanted to see what it was about. It is a cavernous bookstore/coffee shop/bakery on North Third St., a few blocks north of Forrester. We were amazed at the size, on 4 levels, and the amount. of new, used and rare books. There is a lovely old fashioned saloon bar, where you can order drinks, snacks, etc. Prices were slightly high--$2 for a cup of regular coffee and $.3.25 for a medium hot chocolate which was fair and not "hot.". There is free WiFi and many tables around the place. When we were there, most of the patrons were sitting at tables, reading, using the internet, etc. We saw few people actually browsing. In one section is a stage for events and the store hosts poetry readings, music, etc,

We were impressed that Harrisburg would have an interesting, independent bookstore where you could go and spend time in a leisurely fashion. The neighborhood is a little rough around the edges. The Broad St. Market is across the street. There is metered street parking (which we were told by people outside that went to 4 PM, although we did not see any signs indicating that) and there is parking in the rear.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank Pnemiller

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“nice place to go.”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I had sold some old books here. On Thursdays they buy books. I got what I thought was a fair price for my books.
I had a coffee and muffin, Not bad for the price and they had enough places to sit as well.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank m p
Cherry Hill, NJ
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Where books come to die”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I dig used book stores. They're a dying breed. I was in Gettysburg and discovered the store's brochure, claiming they have the largest book collection between NYC and Chicago. So naturally, I was curious. It did not disappoint. It's a sprawling collection on three floors that reminded me of college libraries. lots of old, forgotten books, complete antique libraries and impressively old editions by classic authors. There are some nice finds if you like old and neglected. I discovered an old Dickens book, fastened together by rubber bands, which I bought for $60. I have no clue if it's worth that much. I just wanted it for my library.

The building is very impressive. It has an old tavern feel. There is plenty of space to lounge and chill. There are numerous performance spaces and a saloon-like coffee bar.

If anything, the collection is too sprawling - books are bursting out of the building. The fiction section starts adjacent to the children s section, set aside on the wing. I was a little lost, and I was the only one actively browsing the books and no clerk came to help me. And as for the area itself - well, historic Harrisburg isn't so beautiful anymore. I parked my car during the day and even then I found myself peeking my head out to check if my car was okay. It's that kind of area. Maybe I was overreacting, but it's not the cleanest or most hospitable part of town. Kudos to the owners for advertising their wares. I won't be going again but it's worth a trip if you dig used books... emphasis on used. Just lock your car.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank SingletonTraveler
Camp Hill
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 188 helpful votes
“Great addition to Midtown”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

The owners have created more than a bookstore. They have created an alternative to bars, a meeting place for groups, and a source of music.

Visited August 2012
Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Great concert venue for singer-songwriters”
Reviewed February 26, 2012

My husband and I found this place, when a lessor-known performer was making an appearance here. What a great setting for a concert! The stage is small and the setting is intimate, making for a great performance that is up close and personal.

The bookstore itself is worth a visit, as the selection of used books is extensive! The coffee was very good - fresh and hot. The dessert selection was also very good and it was hard to choose between the pumpkin muffin and cheesecake brownie. Both were delicious. :)

Visited February 2012