“A disappointing meal”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I had heard good things about Cribari's from friends, so my friend and I decided to give it a whirl before a movie at the Midtown Cinema (across the street). I ordered meatball parmesan with penne pasta. The "homemade" meatballs were bland, as was the tomato sauce that covered them and the pasta (and the sauce had a slightly sweet taste, meaning too much sugar, which I HATE).

I had French onion soup as an appetizer and it was also lacking in flavor. It wasn't awful, but again I expected better from the other reports. I may give it another chance before a movie, but I'll stay away from the Italian offerings and go with straight meat or fish next time.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Awful, almost to the point of being comical, experience. I had been here several times while it was still Nonna's, and loved it. Tonight, I took my mom here for her birthday, and I had to apologize and feel terrible for taking her there.

Here's what went wrong:
- out of bread
- threw away the mushrooms b/c they "didn't look good", so none for the portabello menu items (although I'd prefer this to eating something bad)
- waitress was unfriendly, cold, did the bare minimum - I had to ask for salt and pepper, she put cleaning a table before attending to our table, although there were only 4 customers in the whole restaurant
- menu is pricey despite smaller portions, lack of sides
- only 1 side offered - vegetable medley
- restaurant was freezing cold
- sign on the door said CASH ONLY, but when I gave her a $5 and asked for five 1s, she had to go across the street to try to get change because "he doesn't like to keep cash in the drawer"... HUH?!

The food was mediocre. I've had much better for 1/2 the price. I will not be going back to Cribari's again. :(

1  Thank BeckyE618
Reviewed October 20, 2012

My wife and I went to Midtown Cinema to go watch a movie we wanted to see for months. Afterwards we were a little hungry so we decided to stop across the street for a bite too eat. I ordered the confriuta (something like that) a seafood dish and my wife ordered the tuscanny Ny strip steak. My order was perfectly done and it was amazing!!!! My wife Elena was raving it was the best steak she ever had. The chef whulich was also the owner came out to sedition everything was to our specifications and we complimented him generously. I have to say Cribari's is a hidden gem in midtown Hbg. WE WILL BE BACK!!!!!!!

2  Thank etran6000x
Reviewed June 3, 2012

We had an excellent dinner at Cribari's last night. The food was delicious and we really liked the outdoor seating on the sidewalk so we could bring our pup along. The staff made us feel very welcome (they even brought our pup some treats and water). They were also knowledgeable about the menu and accommodating to requests to tweak one of the specials (no olives please). The menu is inventive...you can tell they have a chef and not a cook. Loved the calamari with honey mustard sauce and peppers. Thr prices are also reasonable and the restaurant is BYOB, which makes it even better. We will be back!

4  Thank Kelly C
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Our waitress had an argument with management right in the back of the room, loudly enough so we could hear. We were the only customers left!! We sat for 45 minutes, waiting for dessert and coffee, which never came. I finally had to go ask for the bill, which still took another 10 minutes. When it came, we tipped her 20%, because in the beginning she was very nice. But she ended up adding $5.00 on her own to the bill without our knowledge. So, she is dishonest and should be reprimanded or fired. The food was MEDIOCRE, and we have no idea why it gets crowded on weekends, other than there are no good Italian restaurants in the whole area, except for one, which I gave a great review to!! Do NOT waste your money here.

2  Thank djsharon