“Cavernous and Weirdly Designed”

Comfort Inn Harrisburg
Ranked #27 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed July 26, 2009

First, this was the type of property where you wanted to make sure that your car was locked and that you didn't walk out to your car alone at night. Restaurants ARE within walking distance, but it is down a MAJOR roadway, which is not really good for walking.

We were near the end of a very long corridor, as far away from the front desk as possible, on the first floor. Our room had a jacuzzi tub in it, which was nice, and it was clean.

The hotel needs updating and better lighting, maybe. Everything smelled and looked like it had been around since the 80s.

It was too big - something I never thought I'd say about a hotel room. The space was not effectively used. It was like they took all the furniture and decorations from a much smaller room and tried to spread it out in this HUGE room. The bathroom was TINY, with the toilet set into the corner of the room. The toilet leaked around the base as well.

For one of our nights, they put some members of a high school? college? basketball team beside our room. We could hear them through the wall, and they were out in the hallway until late.

The room was adequate, but I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank missamilla
CLCTJS77, Director of Sales at Comfort Inn Harrisburg, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2010

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay. We recently completed renovations. If you would like to come back and give us a try again please contact me directly.

Reviewed April 19, 2009

While traveling north after Easter recess with my kids we pulled off the road at 12:midnight to find a hotel. The signs to the hotel were a bit confusing. The night manager was very pleasant and told me there was only one room with two queen beds left. I thought $127 was a bit steep but the kids and I were tired from several hours of travel. After opening the room door, it was evident by the foul smell that the room needed fresh air and lots of Fabrize. As the kids climbed into bed they found the carpet adjacent to the beds saturated with what I hope was water. This apparently was the cause of the smell. One of them pointed out the drapes which appeared to have vomitus splattered all over. Another noticed a spider climbing amongst the pillows. I called the manager who was extremely polite and offered another room, larger with a king size bed and a pull out double bed sofa. This room didn't smell at all but as we pulled out the sofa bed it was clear that the sheets had not been changed from previous visitors. On the pillowcase there appeared to be dried, blood tinged stains. The sheets on this bed and also the king bed were dirty looking with numerous hairs. After covering the sheets with blankets and calming the kids we tried to sleep only to listen to the couple staying in the next room argue for at least an hour. The walls are extremely thin. Well, enough was enough, I gathered the kids and luggage, went to the front desk and checked out at 2:AM. Fortunately, the night manager didn't even think about charging us. There is no way that I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank OnTheRoadAgainWith9

I am very sorry that you had such a terrible experience. Please contact me directly and I would be happy to have you and your family back again this summer to show you how we have improved. Thank you.

Reviewed October 11, 2008

My wife and I stayed here a few weeks ago. We were on our way to Penn State for a football game, and this hotel was about half way there.

We went for the jacuzzi suite, and it was well worth it. The room was about a room and a half's worth, with 2 tvs, sink and cabinets, microwave and fridge as well, pull-out sofa bed, and a 2-person jacuzzi (not just a tub with jets)!!

You could dim the lights nice, very romantic-like.

Bed was king-sized and very comfortable.

Not too far off of the interstate there, but follow the hotel's directions because it looks like you can get to it quicker as you exit the interstate than you really can. Their sign makes you think it is one of the first turns you can make, but you have to go down the street a bit first. Really not a big deal!!

Breakfast was good typical HI express hot stuff. I appreciate protein for my breakfast and it didn't disappoint. I would say they have seating for about 25-30 people in their lobby.

Don't know too much about what is around as we weren't really traveling much from the hotel, except to leave for the game.

Walls were a bit thin, and this did not look as sparkling as other HI express hotels we have stayed in over the last few years, but we still had a great stay!!

This hotel does not have an elevator, though, so if you need to use an elevator, I would request a first floor room.

It looks like there was a nice sized outdoor pool, but it was understandably closed for the season.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate your business.

Reviewed September 22, 2008

Certainly not built as a HI Express. From the age/wear on the bathroom fixtures hotel is at least 20-30 years old, perhaps an old Holiday Inn?? The details are wanting, wall paper not glued at the seams, nasty looking stuff (mold?) at some joints in the bathroom... etc, you get the picture.

The overall cleanliness is ok, they are working at making it presentable, but on a scale of 1-10 for a HI Express it is about a 4.

Stayed: September 2008

Thank you for your comments. The hotel has recently undergone improvements. I welcome you to return. Thank you.

Reviewed September 7, 2008

This hotel is newly renovated. The rooms are clean and the bedding was nice, not those old fashioned bedspreads. The beds were queen size and comfortable. I also liked the decor of the room, the refrigerator was hidden behind a cabinet. The employees were very helpful and pleasant. For convenience, there is a small store area next to the front desk that has drinks, snacks and a microwave. You could purchase a bag of popcorn or soup and heat it up for a snack. We traveled with our two children and two small dogs and had plenty of room. Because of the dogs, we requested the maid service not enter the room without us there. They did come back later in the afternoon when we returned and it worked out well. Breakfast was included each morning and there was a large selection to choose from. There is a small fitness room open 24 hours, which was convenient. The location was prime and close to everything. I don't have anything negative to say about it. When we return to Hershey next year, this is where we will stay!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank seasuregal
Reviewed August 15, 2008

Between dog's barking, door's slamming, & kids screeaming. yea it was just alright. went with familiy to Hershey, stayed 1 night. the walls are paper thin heard everything from both rooms on either side. and mind you this is all at 8am. we came in late from the park and was looking to sleep inn. so much for that. between all the racket, we got up and left. did not know this was a pet friendly hotel. except for all that .it was a standard hotel room.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 4, 2008

My family (husband, and two kids, 4 years old and 5 months old) along with my parents and sister and her two year old stayed here for four nights/three days and I probably won't be staying here ever again. We booked two suites back in Feb of this year, requesting that the rooms be somewhat close to each other, cribs in both suites and on the first floor (since there is no elevator). Two weeks prior to our trip, I called and reaffirmed all of this to the hotel itself. Upon arrival, after a 6 hour drive with three kids, all I wanted to do was to get into my room and relax. Well, we arrived right at 3:00 pm, check in time and were told that my suite was not ready. Ok, I figured I could wait a little bit but the room was not ready until almost 6:00. When we finally got our room, it was on the second floor. I had asked the receptionist if she had anything on the first floor because we had so many things to carry because of the children and she stated no and that I should have called. I explained to her that I had already requested this when I booked the rooms in Feb and also two weeks prior. She could care less and just gave me a bottled water, thanking me for my "patience". After lugging everything up to the second floor, we discovered that there were Doritos all over the floor and in the toilet and the sheets had stains on them. I was so disgusted. I called the desk right away and she stated that she could see if housekeeping could go fix things. The only thing they didn't fix was the Doritos on the floor, which stayed for another two days. Also, our rooms were never cleaned until like 5:00, which doesn't help when you have kids who need their naps.
The free breakfast was always cold eggs and always had to eat in the room because they only had a few breakfast tables.
The only positives I can say about this place is that the suites were a good size (not the bathrooms, lucky if you can fit two normal sized people in there), decent pool, and that the hotel is on a main strip which had everything you need, stores and restaurants. Also it was only like 10 or so miles from Hershey Park. If I was to ever return, I will not be picking this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)