“Simply Smart Oh "Yes" It Is !”

Comfort Inn Harrisburg
Ranked #27 of 50 Hotels in Harrisburg
Reviewed November 25, 2007

I booked this hotel on hotwire. Our family had planned a trip to Hershey Park for Hershey winter wonderland. We changed our location of hotel last minute having another hotel booked. When we found out on hotwire , which hotel it was, we were concerned that this hotel would be a good accommodation. The price was right.

We arrived the hotel in about 8- 10 minutes away from Hershey Park. The check in was good. I joined the priory club and received a goody bag. The location was very convienant, close to drug store supermarket across the street, pizza Chinese, Burger king etc.. etc ..

Our Room # 237

It was huge, the room was clean, had a coffee maker ,Microwave and refrigerator .The beds were comfortable. The hotel said good- bye to having the traditional bedspread, as part of their Simply Smart Collection. Everything was white and looked nice and clean.

The bathroom very clean, new wallpaper . The grout in the tiles and caulking in the bathroom was clean and fresh looking. I say this from reading past reviews.

The Hall ways were fresh smelling with nice carpeting.

I took advantage of their washing machines to wash our clothing while we were eating breakfast. You can buy soap at the front desk for a $1.00. The cost was reasonable to wash the clothes.

Breakfast:

Cereals
Oatmeal
yogurt
muffins
juices, tea coffee hot chocolate

The staff was very accommodating on refilling everything so, that there was enough for everyone.

We were very surprised with such a reasonable cost and such a good value. We would return. It was a nice change, and most likely we would have not tried this place or know of it , if it was not for hotwire bringing it to our attention, but we would return in the summer months to try the pool. The hotel is an excellent value for a family traveling on a budget.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
8  Thank tmoo6

Reviewed September 30, 2007

Beware - there are no elevators in this hotel. The website had mentioned it had been recently renovated - when in fact it had not! I arrived in at 1am and was advised my room was upstairs - and there was no elevator! I was upgraded to a larger room but it was very old and outdated. I had no internet access after I checked in and the next morning which was a major inconvenience. The staff were somewhat obliging after I brought the internet problems to their attention.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank Camnicsydney
Reviewed September 21, 2007

Our trips purpose was to visit Hershey Park and local area. With all the hotels in the immediate Hershey area sold out we were forced to find something in neighboring Harrisburg. We chose the Holiday Inn express because of its location and price.

Positives:
* 9 miles from Hershey Park
* Beds were very comfortable. I got an excellent night sleep. They have a nice "sheet" type of bedspread that was much more comfortable than
* Excellent FREE continental breakfast. Although they could use another toaster.
* Easy to use -- free wireless
* Staff was helpful and friendly

Neutrals:
* Bathroom could use a refurbishment. Not as clean as I would have liked. When I drew my son a bath some black gunk came from some location.

Negatives:
* TV channels were horrible. They basically had the major networks, CNN, FOX, the weather channel. They had HBO but nothing appropriate was on that.
* This hotel allows dogs (which I tend to prefer... we have 2 small dogs) but does not appear to have a policy on barking dogs. There was a barking dog about 5 doors down on Sunday morning when we checked out. They dog must of barked for at least 1 hour (and was probably doing so after we left).. The housekeeping staff (who were in the hallway cleaning rooms) didn't do anything about it

Overall
* We would stay here again. It wouldn't be our 1st choice for this area but it isn't something we would avoid. I would probably request a 1st floor room as I didn't see an elevator. I'm sure there was one somewhere but it wasn't obvious.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank NewEnglandCamper
Reviewed September 8, 2007

We stayed here 9/7-9/9 for a trip to Hershey Park. Check in was quick and painless. I recently joined the Priority Club and was given a goody bag which included a bottle of water, a kit kat and ritz cheese crackers. The place looks small from the front but it is pretty big. We were also in room 142 as a previous person who reveiwed the hotel. Do yourself a favor and request NOT to be in 142 or 145 which is across the hall. Will tell you why soon. The room itself was big and spacious. It was a room with 2 queen beds, small fridge and mircowave. There was a big desk and office chair. There was also a small sink outside of the bathroom with a small coffee maker and a sink in the bathroom too. The room was clean on the surface but there were some dirt spots on the walls and the bathroom was not sparkling but I always bring flip flops for the shower although my 13 year old son was a little grossed out. The wall paper was peeling off here and there and was even stapled in one spot. While walking down the hallway and looking into other rooms the same as our room while they were being cleaned - noticed that they also had a small table and 2 chairs. Checked out the picture on the website when I got home and saw this in the picture but we didn't have it in our room. This was not enough to ruin my time or make me hate the place though. The room was in the back of the hotel and there was a main door there to the parking lot. Our room was the end and right by the door so when people came in and out especially at night or in the morning, it was constant banging. My one pet peeve when staying away is the "door bangers". I can't stand people that let their doors slam and slam and slam. It is just rude. So add this onto those that did slam their doors - it cause a lot of waking up from sleep. The other negative about this room is that it is right next door to a king suite which has a jacuzzi. When the people use the jacuzzi - you can hear the vibration through the wall - it didn't really bother us but if you are a light sleeper - it might wake you up. This room was also an adjoining room with the door. The one night we could hear our neighors "enjoying themselves" and I wonder if we would have if the door wasn't there. Maybe - maybe not. Oh and the air took till Saturday night to really keep the room cool. Breakfast - only had the cinamon buns and they were really good. The staff was fine. I know the location of our room was not the fault of the hotel staff - just the luck of the draw. It is really easy to get to Hershey from the hotel and took about 10 mins. There are plenty of places to eat around the hotel. I don't think we would stay here again. If you are looking for a place that is decent and no bugs then I would recommend it but if you hate dirt and want everything to be clean and new then this is not the placce for you. As I said before, my issue was really with the location of the room and it is not the fault of the hotel, just the designer of the place :)

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank dolfinmusic
Reviewed September 3, 2007

We stayed 2 nights for a family visit to Hershey. Location wise, the hotel is far enough away from Hershey that you have plenty of dining options (even a supermarket across the highway) but close enough to make an easy trip to the Hershey attractions. First, I want to commend the front desk staff. I originally made a 1-night reservation through the Priority Club web site, then switched it to 2 nights. I didn't notice until later that when I added the 2nd night the system switched my rate type to non-refundable and the room type to non-smoking. I called the weekend before we arrived to see if we could switch to non-smoking, and was pleasantly surprised to find on arrival that we had a large non-smoking (handicapped-equipped) room. At the time I checked in, several other guests had special requests that were being handled politely and efficiently. Unfortunately, the facilities were not up to the same standard. We had a true suite, with a king bed in the still-large main room and a sofa bed in a separate room with a door. The room was adequately clean but didn't have much furniture, probably because of accessibility reasons -- non-handicapped rooms may have more. The two main problems were the bathroom, which showed significant wear (mildewed walls, rusted drop-ceiling supports) and the thin walls. Our first night, one of our neighbors had trouble putting their kids to bed at midnight and the screeching was loud enough to keep us up. The breakfast area is also cramped compared to other HIEx properties I've stayed at recently, but was well-stocked. We were on the first floor, so the lack of an elevator wasn't a personal concern, but I wouldn't have liked lugging the bags I had up a couple of flights. We didn't use the pool and were not in the room much during pool hours, but it looked like the rooms were far enough from the pool that noise from it would not be a big problem. I'd like to support the staff by coming back, but with the other options available in Hershey, I'll probably stay somewhere else until this one gets a makeover.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank Jim S
Reviewed August 26, 2007

We just got back last night and this hotel was wonderful. We had wonderful front desk people every day. The breakfast was good and had a variety to choose from. It was very close to Hershey park. When we first walked into our room we were pleasantly surprised with how large the room was (first floor room 142). It had two queen beds and there was still room for my 3yr old son to sleep in his small inflatable tent bed.

Yes the bathtub wasn't spotless, but it is cleaner than our apartment's tub at home so it was luxury for us. We were all in awe when we walked into the room because it just looked so comfy and luxurious. Yes there are some flaws on the walls and carpets, but you have to expect those things at any hotel. We were able to bring our pet for a 25.00 a night fee.

The other thing I liked was that our room door was inside the building and not on the outside like previous hotels we have been in. I hate hotels where the room doors are lined up along the outside of the building (and that is what I was expecting from the pictures of this hotel, but was pleasantly surprised that we were wrong).

We were given a goodie bag for being a priority club member and were also given a 2pm checkout time for being a priority club member (they told us that they can give 12pm, 1pm or 2pm extended checkout for priority club members depending on how many people they have checking in that afternoon). I highly recommend this hotel. It was reasonably priced and close driving distance to Hershey Park (we came back to the hotel during the afternoon and went back a little later after eating lunch and resting). Wonderful staff who were very helpful and friendly. Nice rooms and decor. The pool water was cold, but very blue/clear. The pool is open from 9am-9pm.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank jkcd513
Reviewed August 25, 2007

Easy access to Hershey, Gettysburg and Amish country. Multiple eating places nearby, in many menu price ranges. Very clean, nice pool and pleasant ,accommodating staff. Way better than average free Continental breakfasts. (french toast, waffles, bagels, english muffins, sausage patties and scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, muffins, fresh fruit, fruit cups, hot and cold cereals, 3 kinds of coffee and a large tray of tea choices, milk and juices) Most comfortable bed I've ever gotten in a hotel. When the wireless internet access didn't work in our room, it was fixed quickly and the management called later to make sure it was working to out satisfaction. We had a really good experience

Stayed: July 2007