“Good, fast friendly delivery”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Okini - CLOSED

Okini
Cuisines: Asian
Short Hills, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good, fast friendly delivery”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

The food is average, and in my opinion over sauced. But the quality of the ingredients was good, and it wasn't bland. I'm from NYC and lived outside SF, so perhaps my Asian food expectations are too high.

I'd eat here again, but I'd try other places first.

Visited November 2012

Philadelphia
“Love this Place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

Okini offeres a variety of asian cuisine like chinese, japanese and Thai foods. Everything is always delicious and authentic. The prices are good as well. Not in the most picturesque area of Harrisburg, but a real gem. We love going here and never have a bad meal or service.

• Visited July 2012
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Solid Pan-Asian Cuisine at Attractive Prices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2011

We have been to Okini close to ten times and it's a real winner for us. Okini offers a balanced menu of Japanese and Thai with some other pan-Asian selections.

Unfortunately, it's not situated in the most picturesque of neighborhoods, situated one block east of the intersections of Progress Avenue and Walnut Street in Penbrook. It's also housed in the carcass of what used to be a Pizza Hut. And as the footprint is the same as in its Pizza Hut days, there are not very many tables and they are rather close together. However, the lighting and decor do well to change the ambience from Pizza Hut into something more.

Thankfully, I really have nothing else bad to say about Okini: it scores highly in all the places it needs to. The food is very, very good and portion sizes are very large. Presentation is also very good. I am an incredible fan of their Pad Kee Mao (Drunken Noodles); they are the best I have had among any other Thai restaurant anywhere and at only $10 (yes, even when served with Jumbo Shrimp) it is an incredible bargain. Even if you do manage to finish it, you won't be left feeling hungry!

The only negative that I have to give the food is that my wife has ordered various chicken dishes and the chicken has come out rather dry on every occasion. Perhaps the cooks just don't know how to handle chicken? Silly as it sounds, I just cannot come to any other conclusion as everything else comes out cooked to perfection. Maybe the chicken gods just hate us?

Sushi is presented well and is absolutely delicious. Prices are reasonable and the taste is just top-notch.

Service has always been done with a smile and is usually very good, but the wait staff's English is not tremendous. We've never had any issue with our orders being incorrect, but it's not always a smooth ordering process. Additionally, on more than one occasion our food took a bit too long to arrive; and one time it wasn't until our meals arrived that a single eel roll ordered for an appetizer appeared.

As hinted at, prices are very reasonable for what you get. Entrees start at about $8 and climb to about $20 depending on what you are hungry for. As expected, sushi can set you back as little as $4 for a cheaper roll to $50 for a sushi boat for two. And if you go for lunch, you're in for a real treat. Some of their "lunch combinations" (M - F only) include an only-slightly smaller entree portion plus an egg roll for as little as $6.85. It's a rather ridiculous amount of food for a rather low cost.

Also a note that if you really like spicy foods, you'll want to specify that you want your entree extra spicy. I have had various results with this. it's never come too spicy, but doesn't always come consistently 'extra' spicy either.

You should also know that, if you're looking for an 'adult beverage' with your meal, Okini is BYOB.

Bottom Line: As long as you're not looking for a special occasion evening, Okini is a fabulous choice for a Japanese and/or Thai meal. Food is tasty, priced well, and will not leave you hungry.

• Visited September 2011
Central Pa
“Super Fabulous Sushi! Ton of Choices for non sushi eaters.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

Okini is my favorite local Sushi spot. Yes, there are plenty of other choices nearby. The bigger Sushi to smaller Rice ratios is the reason Okini is the winner for me. My favorite Roll being Yellow Submarine. Chirashi has nice portions of Sushi and priced right. I am a regular and I have never had a bad experience or meal. The Menu reads like novel. Pan Asian fare from soups to full on meals. The wait staff will bring you a bowl of Edamame to eat while you contemplate the endless choices.
The decor is not bad and the place can be a bit crampy when they are full of hungry diners. They now occupy what used to be a pizza hut. This is a BYOB restaurant. The wait staff is always ready with glasses for your saki, corkscrew for your wine. Another family owned business that cares about customer satisfaction. The parking is also crampy and the view out side of the windows not particularly appealing but I go for the food and time with my friends.

• Visited July 2011